• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to fix the Overstreet Guide...

117 posts in this topic

There exists 2 prices for any book ... and if I remember correctly OS basically says this somewhere.... (1) the price a knowledgeable collector would pay for a book , and (2) the price that somebody can fleece a speculator or someone who simply doesnt know any better.. Some of you on here simply want price 2 so as to serve your own ends and to hell with the hobby (but then again for many this is a business and not a hobby so...)

sign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gif

"Now, instead of pressuring the fine publishing firm of Gemstone,

perhaps we should apply pressure to the editors of

the Overstreet."

Um...I *am* the Editor of "Overstreet." Overstreet and Gemstone are one and the same. There is no division. The editorial and production staff of Gemstone credited in every edition of the Guide are the folks that put together the book each and every year. Not sure what you're thinking there. smile.gif

So, what are all of us doing now for pricing? Probably looking at the latest OS guide for prices in lower grades, and checking out GP Analysis, ebay sales, etc. for higher grade books?

Yep, that's it exactly. But the 95% majority who don't realize those prices are wrong don't do that! DROP THE NM 9.4 COLUMN FOR GOLD AND SILVER BOOKS!!! That solution addresses every issue raised by everyone.

Despite the fact that people seem to have difficulty accepting it, Bob remains very active every single year in collating pricing information, determining what goes in the Guide and much much more; he hasn't "scaled down" his role at all. As I've said countless times, I'm not involved in the pricing part, so I'm certainly not being "groomed" for that - wouldn't want to touch it.

Tom G., our Managing Editor, is very much involved with the pricing data as he works on the Overstreet Comic Price Review, and he's also on these boards, so it ain't just me here. Give Tom his props. laugh.gif

Arnold

Despite the fact that people seem to have difficulty accepting it, Bob remains very active every single year in collating pricing information, determining what goes in the Guide and much much more; he hasn't "scaled down" his role at all. As I've said countless times, I'm not involved in the pricing part, so I'm certainly not being "groomed" for that - wouldn't want to touch it.

Tom G., our Managing Editor, is very much involved with the pricing data as he works on the Overstreet Comic Price Review, and he's also on these boards, so it ain't just me here. Give Tom his props. laugh.gif

Arnold

But, he hasn't shown up on this thread, so we've had only you to beat up on! You must be a masochist or something. Tell Tom G. he can come on here, and discuss this with us. We'll be nice to him, honest! tonofbricks.gif