• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is it that DC superheroes don't become movies like MARVEL superheroes?

43 posts in this topic

Because they are lame.

Now sell me yours at 25-50% of guide :sumo:

DC will have movies but most will be from the Vertigo line. These stories have the best potential for being sleeper hits or blockbusters with very little cost or risk to movie studios.

Constantine...

doh!

DC will have movies but most will be from the Vertigo line. These stories have the best potential for being sleeper hits or blockbusters with very little cost or risk to movie studios.

Constantine...

doh!

Yeah, they came up pretty empty on that one. I'd like to see a reboot, rename it Hellblazer, get an A-list squad of talent, and for GOD's sake, get an Englishman to play John C.!

Keanu Reeves?! Hollywood...I swear. doh!

But Vertigo has TONS of stories that would make great movies. Sandman, Preacher, Transmetropolitan, Hellblazer, Death, Unknown Soldier (that was a great suggestion) and then there are TONS of quality mini-series to choose from!

How come MARVEL superheroes are being made into movies one after another and DC heroes just don't see the silver screen? DC has all kinds of characters that could be made into some interesting movies. Atom, Hawkman, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Mister Miracle, Challengers Of The Unknown, Metamorpho, and so on. Why is it DC doesn't push to get movies made of something other then Batman or Superman?

I find it interesting that all the heroes you mentioned where created more then 40 years ago and none of them can sustain a monthly comic like Superman or Batman,wth that being said,my vote would be Green Arrow if based on Neal Adams or Mike Grell`s stuff. Green Arrow would make a nice tv series if done right.

War movies and westerns are not very popular these days for some reasons...at least not a general movie. Stuff with big production like Saving private ryan may do good but probably not much else.

This might be a little off topic of the thread. But I did not want to start a new one just for this.

Has anyone else that watches "Big Bang Theory" noticed that the comic shop they always go to only has DC Books and characters in it?

I have paused and framed it many times, but every single book on the wall and in the comic boxes are DC. No other comic company. Also all the cardboard cutouts, posters and figurines in the store are also DC only.

I also noticed that the main characters only wear Flash, Green Lantern, and Superman shirts.

Anyone know how this came about?

Just currious.

DC/Warners on the other hand, is in a reactive phase, having once owned the superhero franchise. And with the tepid success of the Superman reboot, and a longer history in the film business (which leads them right now especially to be cost protective), they are hesitant to throw vast resources into a wide slate of films for the lesser heroes (defined really as "anyone other than SUPERMAN AND BATMAN!)

Why do they view Superman Returns as a "tepid" success? $270 million budget, $391 million worldwide box office, decent critical success with 77% positive critic ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. Regardless of anyone's individual opinion of that film, I don't know what more they can reasonably expect from it financially other than a smaller budget, which isn't a problem with the property, just the management of it. I dunno if Singer is to blame for that budget or not--isn't it the job of the producers to keep it on a tight budget? $270 million sounds HUGE for a movie about a guy flying around, seems like they let that one get away from them. hm

With the Dark Knight blowing the doors off all comic book movie records, I don't see what they've got to be "reactive" about anymore. I'm completely not understanding their hesistance to crank these movies out like Marvel does. (shrug)

thats not the point. its not the characters or their powers or origins. Its if the movies get made, and if they are well told stories with fresh visuals. Theres probably an awesome Aquaman movie that could be told. But given the characters minor awareness factor or excitement, itll be a long time before anyone ponies up 150 million to make the movie.

And according to Entourage would beat Spider-man's opening weekend box office...

lol True that!

This might be a little off topic of the thread. But I did not want to start a new one just for this.

Has anyone else that watches "Big Bang Theory" noticed that the comic shop they always go to only has DC Books and characters in it?

I have paused and framed it many times, but every single book on the wall and in the comic boxes are DC. No other comic company. Also all the cardboard cutouts, posters and figurines in the store are also DC only.

I also noticed that the main characters only wear Flash, Green Lantern, and Superman shirts.

Just currious.

It's called "Product Placement"

DC is entered into some kind of contract with the production company (Most probably paying some fee)

For their contribution, they get their product advertised for free by being in the show.

That is why it is only DC stuff.

Anytime you see anything in a film that is a real product, it has to be cleared with the manufacturers of that product.

for small films you have to get permission from the brand, who often might not allow it if they dont approve of the content of the -script.

for bigger productions and TV shows the brands want their products in the show, as it amounts to free advertising and a direct link to a valuable (young) demographic... so they actually pay the production company for the right to have only their stuf f in the show

Green Arrow would make a nice tv series if done right.

Isn't that what Smallville is for now. :baiting:

Smallville is more oriented for teens/early 20`s crowd like Buffy the vampire slayer,I would make Green Arrow for the older adult crowd,that``s why I suggested Adams/Grell.

Just currious.

DC is entered into some kind of contract with the production company (Most probably paying some fee)

For their contribution, they get their product advertised for free by being in the show.

Anytime you see anything in a film that is a real product, it has to be cleared with the manufacturers of that product.

for small films you have to get permission from the brand, who often might not allow it if they dont approve of the content of the -script.

for bigger productions and TV shows the brands want their products in the show, as it amounts to free advertising and a direct link to a valuable (young) demographic... so they actually pay the production company for the right to have only their stuf f in the show

I figured they had some kind of exclusive rights or something.

Just weird to see a comic shop that would never exist in real life.

There was an article posted somewhere I read about a month ago that answer this question on point. One of the big shots that handels stuff liek this basically stated that DC's universe is very hard to put on a big screen, because there characters are basically mythological and tehre is a fear the public outside comic fans will not be interested, another point of teh article was DC did not use real cities to base heroes from and that was another concern on connecting with those outside comic fandom.

I am sure if someone really wants to know they could probably google the article.

Everyone knows superman and batman, but a lot of DC's other's are not as heavily known much less care about. Outside of Superman, Batman, Green Lantern titles I cannot stand DC's Title's.

Just currious.

I figured they had some kind of exclusive rights or something.

Just weird to see a comic shop that would never exist in real life.

Wonder how much Brian K. Vaughn payed to get his stuff on Chuck?

Jonah Hex cometh!

I'm very excited about the Jonah Hex movie too. Personally, I think there is a wealth of movie material in the non-superhero DC comics. Every DC war title, in my opinion, has a wealth of good movie material. Many Vertigo titles are second to none in terms of writing. I'm not sure why they don't draw more from these wells.

DC/Warners on the other hand, is in a reactive phase, having once owned the superhero franchise. And with the tepid success of the Superman reboot, and a longer history in the film business (which leads them right now especially to be cost protective), they are hesitant to throw vast resources into a wide slate of films for the lesser heroes (defined really as "anyone other than SUPERMAN AND BATMAN!)

Why do they view Superman Returns as a "tepid" success? $270 million budget, $391 million worldwide box office, decent critical success with 77% positive critic ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. Regardless of anyone's individual opinion of that film, I don't know what more they can reasonably expect from it financially other than a smaller budget, which isn't a problem with the property, just the management of it. I dunno if Singer is to blame for that budget or not--isn't it the job of the producers to keep it on a tight budget? $270 million sounds HUGE for a movie about a guy flying around, seems like they let that one get away from them. hm

With the Dark Knight blowing the doors off all comic book movie records, I don't see what they've got to be "reactive" about anymore. I'm completely not understanding their hesistance to crank these movies out like Marvel does. (shrug)

Im sure you know the math. Divide the 391 Gross in half to net the film rental the distrib gets, and the budget is still underwater by 80 Million bucks. So they had to scrape it back with toys and dvd etc. But really, the film was mildly received. And no business in is business to invest 270M to brea even, right?

Plus the same guys released Batman TDK which rang the bell at a billion!! So which was a hit, and which was a tepid success??? that was my point