• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen books @ Motor city.....

97 posts in this topic

this happens all time. :preach: i seriously don't know why(dealers) they just don't hire security for $100 a day to watch out for this!?! (shrug) but to harley's defense, it'll be hard for the thief to unload these books now. :wishluck:

This is what I do not understand, your asking for trouble and if your not responsible enough to protect your books at a show, then I dunno.

Some dealers do so many shows, it's hard to line up local help at each show. (As opposed to having someone travel with you which is MUCH MORE than $100 a day.)

That really sucks! :sorry:

But seriously, how easy is it to steal 30+ books from a dealer's booth? And some of those are obviously wall books so they couldn't have been that "exposed" to the average Joe. It boggles the mind...

Hopefully, they'll catch the :censored: . I don't think it's gonna be easy to unload the Mile High Adventure #20 anyway.

Would the owner be able to recognize them if they ever surfaced?

Other than the obvious slabbed book, a lot of those aren't very common, and Harley is pretty well known. If someone walks in to a shop with more than two of the more less-common books at a time, odds are good they'll get caught, especially if they don't change the sleeves (Harley has his own grading system that no one else on the planet uses).

Everyone should realize that these books were stolen during breakdown. That's a pretty chaotic period where dealers are taking wall books down and breaking down their racks.

They're also trying to get their pallets or their boxes together, etc. and/or heading out to sign up for loading or to move their vehicles to the loading dock. (For larger cons.)

If you only have one or two people manning a booth, it's pretty hard to keep an eye on your stuff since one person essentially has to leave for extended periods of time.

Everyone should realize that these books were stolen during breakdown. That's a pretty chaotic period where dealers are taking wall books down and breaking down their racks.

They're also trying to get their pallets or their boxes together, etc. and/or heading out to sign up for loading or to move their vehicles to the loading dock. (For larger cons.)

If you only have one or two people manning a booth, it's pretty hard to keep an eye on your stuff since one person essentially has to leave for extended periods of time.

Ah, sorry, I missed that part when I read the initial post. I see now that it could be entirely possible.

Still, it sucks and the person who did it is real scum who deserves a good beating!

this happens all time. :preach: i seriously don't know why(dealers) they just don't hire security for $100 a day to watch out for this!?! (shrug) but to harley's defense, it'll be hard for the thief to unload these books now. :wishluck:

This is what I do not understand, your asking for trouble and if your not responsible enough to protect your books at a show, then I dunno.

Some dealers do so many shows, it's hard to line up local help at each show. (As opposed to having someone travel with you which is MUCH MORE than $100 a day.)

even if you spend $1K on salary, housing, and traveling to and from show, it's much far less than what gets stolen at a show. if you're a big time dealer, i'm sure there some way that the cost for security outweighs the losses from thefts. my 2 cents

The sad part is that these high grade books will likely be intentionally damaged so that they cannot be easily indentified in the future. :( Seriously where are all the security camera's, security staff and how the heck does this stuff happen at every con?

The sad part is that these high grade books will likely be intentionally damaged so that they cannot be easily indentified in the future. :( Seriously where are all the security camera's, security staff and how the heck does this stuff happen at every con?

Sadly, I don't think there's that great an abundance of security cameras and personnel. I would guess it's extremely easy to nab a book or 2. But that list was pretty brazen. My guess is that someone was eyeing the breakdown the whole time and found their opening. I know Harley wasn't there but I'd be pretty p.o'd that an $18,000 comic wasn't secured during breakdown.

Bob Storms and I were talking about Con thieves that Sunday morning. I can only imagine the dealers get pretty jaded.

adventure

20 9.6 mile high $18000

:o

Thats not a small book.

I wonder how that book was in a position to be stolen.

I saw that book in person at Wondercon earlier this year. It is amazing.

Bob Storms and I were talking about Con thieves that Sunday morning. I can only imagine the dealers get pretty jaded.

The thieves do seem to have gotten more brazen and daring lately. I'd've thought shows should step up security during breakdown, which is (apart from Saturday afternoon, when foot-traffic is at its peak) the time when most dealers are vulnerable to theft.

adventure

20 9.6 mile high $18000

Thats not a small book.

That has to surface..it's a 9.6!

The thieves do seem to have gotten more brazen and daring lately. I'd've thought shows should step up security during breakdown, which is (apart from Saturday afternoon, when foot-traffic is at its peak) the time when most dealers are vulnerable to theft.

There's no profit motive for them to do so, which is a short term view but I'm betting that's what they follow. I volunteered for Motor City last year and it was a miserable experience. I never had any idea who was in charge nor if there was any planning involved. Motor City comics has a ton of people at their booth so it's probably not an issue for them during breakdown. (And this is no knock against the Motor City Comics people because they're usually pretty nice. I've found Mike Goldman to be very congenial.)

adventure

20 9.6 mile high $18000

Thats not a small book.

That has to surface..it's a 9.6!

Wont they just take it out of the case and resell it ??

T