• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen books @ Motor city.....

97 posts in this topic

I'm bummed to here this. I like to think that if I was there.....at a booth and saw some guy ripping off somethin.....that I would do the FLYING FOOTBALL TACKLE.........carefully pushing the books aside while I kicked the living sh*t outta the guy. You know.....Batman style :sumo:

Then I would return the books to the dealer, while the cops take the handcuffed assh*le away......and the dealer gives me a free Hamburger for helping him out. :grin:

adventure

20 9.6 mile high $18000

:o

Thats not a small book.

I wonder how that book was in a position to be stolen.

I saw that book in person at Wondercon earlier this year. It is amazing.

That has to surface..it's a 9.6!

Wont they just take it out of the case and resell it ??

T

Depends on how smart they are. The problem is, most dealers that can afford the expensive books probably know about this already. Am I incorrect in that level of comic dealers, like Harley, being a relatively small fraternity? Of course, you never know.

I'm bummed to here this. I like to think that if I was there.....at a booth and saw some guy ripping off somethin.....that I would do the FLYING FOOTBALL TACKLE.........carefully pushing the books aside while I kicked the living sh*t outta the guy. You know.....Batman style :sumo:

Then I would return the books to the dealer, while the cops take the handcuffed assh*le away......and the dealer gives me a free Hamburger for helping him out. :grin:

My hero...

Whats up Mike?

Does Harley ever attend a convention where he doesn't have a box of comics stolen?

Maybe he should invest in a couple of security cameras that he can run on a laptop behind the counter. That would set him back about $1k for something pretty elaborate. He'd make that back on a couple of his overgraded, overpriced books.

hm I'm not sure Harley would let a burger go.

How do you leave an $18,000 book just laying around?
If I recall correctly, Harley had a CAP #1 stolen from him at a local show in Montreal several years back...

I was a few tables over when the cops came in. From what I was told Harley took it down to show someone, left it on a bin box, turned around, and then *poof* it was gone when he turned back around.

THAT's "how" a book like that gets stolen.... :P

Anyone now the facts in regards to that CAP #1? I had forgotten about it until seeing this thread.

Jeez Mike, you would do anything for a hamburger. :tonofbricks:

My hero...

Whats up Mike?

Hi Dennis. Almost came into your shop today.....but Darrel was talkin my ear off and I had to get the car home to the Mrs. :grin:

I'm still on the hunt for Police comics, but thinking I'll hang onto the Batman 14 for awhile

Just like Wimpy :grin: :grin:

I'm confident that the dealers would be delighted to take any hit on the books to have the thief put away. and a Mile High book is NOT petty larceny. Felony time.

And a nice micro brew.The most important part.

Can't imagine the lengths he would go for a quality micro brew.

Can't imagine the lengths he would go for a quality micro brew.

bigbeers.jpg

mmmmmm.......micro brew :cloud9:

Some dealers do so many shows, it's hard to line up local help at each show. (As opposed to having someone travel with you which is MUCH MORE than $100 a day.)

Most off-duty policemen will take small jobs like this - in my area, they are even allowed to wear their uniforms off-duty for this kind of work.

-slym

Some dealers do so many shows, it's hard to line up local help at each show. (As opposed to having someone travel with you which is MUCH MORE than $100 a day.)

Most off-duty policemen will take small jobs like this - in my area, they are even allowed to wear their uniforms off-duty for this kind of work.

-slym

Yes, police often work events by request and they typically get paid double time for their efforts. I would imagine it is all done through the local police department. Not sure about FBI and CIA agents. :makepoint: