• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restored then Unrestored?

25 posts in this topic

Can someone explain how the following might happen. I CGCed one of my long-time owned books a few months ago and, to my shock, it was classed as colour-touched and RESTORED 9.0. It sold for a pittance on a major dealer site due to the restoration. But now it has re-appeared and sold on a rival major dealer website reholdered as UNRESTORED 8.5 - for a lot more money.

The book has gone and I know it is water under the bridge but is this a simple oversight or can the colour-touch have been removed prior to resubmission to CGC?

A bit gutted.

Alan

Can someone explain how the following might happen. I CGCed one of my long-time owned books a few months ago and, to my shock, it was classed as colour-touched and RESTORED 9.0. It sold for a pittance on a major dealer site due to the restoration. But now it has re-appeared and sold on a rival major dealer website reholdered as UNRESTORED 8.5 - for a lot more money.

The book has gone and I know it is water under the bridge but is this a simple oversight or can the colour-touch have been removed prior to resubmission to CGC?

A bit gutted.

Alan

absolutely...color touch can be scraped right off, if a prof. application...happens all the time

A bit gutted.

Alan

Happens all the time. If it was a small color hit, it's quite plausible it could be removed with only a .5 drop in grade.

I understand why you feel "gutted." Someone who knows how to play the game did just that.

:foryou:

I have not loaded up images for months - and the method seems to have changed. Can anyone advise me how to post images from my desktop folder. When I click image, it seems to want a website address?

Not my day.

Alan

You can upload them to photobucket and link from there, or at the bottom of the reply screen here, click on 'file manager' and you can attatch an image directly from your hard drive.

Thanks - here goes.

I have added the images in order as follows:

My original scan RAW - before CGCing in 2008.

After CGCing in 2008 and then sold. RESTORED

Re-CGCed in 2009 and Sold. UNRESTORED.

Re-CGCed in 2009 and Sold. 2nd image.

Composite of the damage area to the bottom right hand corner (top = high res raw scan, middle = 1st CGC, bottom = 2nd CGC). There are other speckles on the spine, to edge, top right corner etc. When you view the images full screen, it is the same comic.

Alan

80006.jpg.b50093057fa602fb808dddae4a580caf.jpg

80007.jpg.f1ca6a7a3df86c108eb95641cd87bc54.jpg

80008.jpg.d2517fc370c9c3c0b5529878f660c8ef.jpg

80009.jpg.c274ec44375144d06211137648be8e81.jpg

80010.jpg.e2b59d2f4c23b4f0439886d572dc3a7b.jpg

So why prof and not amateur color touch? My curiosity is piqued

It is my understanding that the CGC defines the term "Professional Restoration" as resto that can be reversed. Amateur resto can not be reversed.

Not necessarily. How do you "reverse" a solvent bath or aqueous wash?

Professional restoration is determined by the use of professional quality materials and techniques in a skilled manner.

Also, plenty of amateur restoration can be reversed. You can scrape away an area with amateur color touch or scrape off non-archival glue, for example.

So why prof and not amateur color touch? My curiosity is piqued
a lot of times amateur ct bleeds thru

Thanks - here goes.

I have added the images in order as follows:

My original scan RAW - before CGCing in 2008.

After CGCing in 2008 and then sold. RESTORED

Re-CGCed in 2009 and Sold. UNRESTORED.

Re-CGCed in 2009 and Sold. 2nd image.

Composite of the damage area to the bottom right hand corner (top = high res raw scan, middle = 1st CGC, bottom = 2nd CGC). There are other speckles on the spine, to edge, top right corner etc. When you view the images full screen, it is the same comic.

Alan

Who did you purchase it from originally

'Professional' colour-touch can be removed...basically scraped off...so yes, this is entirely plausible.

Wasn't this the entire basis for PCS? (shrug)

Indeed it was. (thumbs u

'Mr Rampant Submittor, your book got a 9.0, restored, but with a leeeetle bit of - how shall we say? - tweaking, we can get you an 8.5 in one of those fetching blue label thingees. And it's only $49.99 whilst stocks last!'

I purchased the comic from John Pires of Vault Comics.

I have to say I bought a large number of RAW comics over quite a few years from John - all except this ST103 came back unrestored from CGC.