• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got the dreaded call from CGC today...

309 posts in this topic

This is the first time this has happened to me. I want to make known too that I love submitting books to CGC. My experience up until now has been great and I realize that *spoon* happens - I just wanted to get some others experience on this and some advice on what to do next.

I get a call today about a submission I sent in April. CGC asks me if 3 (out of the ten) book has "chipping problems" on the corners? FF65, FF28, and Nicky Fury Agent of Shield 4. confused, I replied, chipping? The gentleman states that there is some chipping on the corners and one of the graders flagged these 3 books as being damaged. I said no - there was no chipping on the corners of any of those books.

It gets slightly worse. When I asked for the defects to be better explained - he said that there was color breaking creases on one corner of each of the 3 and a spine split on Nick Fury 4.... He said the damage was odd also because the bag and board did not correlate with the damage on the book. I asked if the books were graded and he said yes. I then asked him what the books graded at and he said that he could not tell me because the grades were not finalized in the system and he could not pull them up... (it seemed odd because it felt like he was holding the books in his hands as he was describing the defects to me) I asked him if the box showed any sign of shipping damage and he said he did not know because the box had been thrown away. He also said that I could not successfully file an insurance claim because the box has been thrown away. He said that they would finalize the grades on Tuesday and then he could tell me what they graded at. He said CGC would do something about this after we determined the grades. I said well alright and we hung up.

I was pretty taken back by this call and after sitting in my comic shop for a few minutes i got kinda upset about the whole thing. I wanted to know how bad the comics were damaged. The FF65 in particular was immaculate and came from Blues' OO owner collection. I was very excited to get the results on that one in particular.

I thought about it for a minute and some things just simply did not make sense to me. CGC received this package on April 27 - if the books were indeed damaged in transit why did it take them a month to notify me? Why also would they throw away the box. I thought the receiving department was supposed to check the books and package upon arrival. Secondly, why would they flag these 3 specific books as damaged out of ten books? I don't know for sure about the Nick Fury book but the FF28 and the FF65 were packaged in the middle of the sandwich because they were the books that were most important to me. How did those 2 books get damaged and not the other 7 that were not?

The big question for me was: How did they know I didn't send the books in with those defects???? Especially if the bag and board exhibited no sign of damage nor the box? hm

So I called back. The original gentleman I talked to was on the phone - so they put me on with someone else. This time I was told it was my fault for packaging the comics incorrectly and that this happens everyday. I really just wanted to know what the comics graded at so I was not stewing on it all weekend. (I really wish they would have postponed this call until Tuesday). He then said that the comics have not been graded and that he would expedite the process to get them done on tuesday. he said he would call me personally and tell me what they graded at and then CGC would "help me out on the grading fee"... I asked him how they knew the comics were damaged in transit and that I did not send the books in that way and he said "because of the damage that happened on the mylar and board". Kinda funny because the first person told me there was no damage on the bag and board and that's why he wanted to know if the defects were sent in that way...

I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens on Tuesday but right now I am totally confused at what actually happened to my books and exactly how damaged they are.

anyone else ever have similar experiences? am I being unreasonable to post my concerns here? what should I do and expect cgc to do to fix this problem?

...smells fishy. I wouldn't care about them 'helping out with the grading fee', that would be like some cat T-boning my car at an intersection, handing me $20 to 'help out with the towing', then washing his hands of the affair. Obviously, my car was like that before it was T-boned, right?

It sounds like they're in full backpedaling, cover-their-butts mode now. You're probably going to have to escalate this to get a satisfactory resolution, and I hope the mods see this and point it to someone who can make a difference.

:wishluck:

...smells fishy. I wouldn't care about them 'helping out with the grading fee', that would be like some cat T-boning my car at an intersection, handing me $20 to 'help out with the towing', then washing his hands of the affair. Obviously, my car was like that before it was T-boned, right?

It sounds like they're in full backpedaling, cover-their-butts mode now. You're probably going to have to escalate this to get a satisfactory resolution, and I hope the mods see this and point it to someone who can make a difference.

:wishluck:

Smells a mess load worse than that.

Not to be a rabble-rouser or conspiracy theorist (as I love CGC and the service they provide), but this is not the first "fishy" thing I've heard lately concerning someone's submission. :eek:

Do you have any pre-sub scans of the comics? I remember a number of blue's OO comics looking super sweet, especially the FF's in his recent sales threads.

Brian

yes I do...

Here's the 65 (looking for the 28)

FF65.jpg

Do you have any pre-sub scans of the comics? I remember a number of blue's OO comics looking super sweet, especially the FF's in his recent sales threads.

Brian

I was thinking this. I would actually start contacting people you bought the books from. I think I am the only one who does clean out photo bucket alot.

Sounds like someone really liked those 3 books and swapped them out. Heritage? Really freakin suspicious.....

BTW.... I love a good conspiracy theory

:eek: possible.

This getting interesting.. :popcorn:

Me too. The last details I heard was I think its a silver age ashcan style book was sent in which was worth a bit and cgc said they could not grade it thus would be returned. The person got their graded books but the ashcan was not there. CGC must have got the book to state that they could not grade it and such. Somewhere between CGC and the person the book went missing and the person called CGC. From my understanding the issue is still unresolved and CGC offer to fix the situation was to offer only half the books value. The book itself was not owned from my understanding by the person that submitted it.

I will be getting more details on this soon and I know the person involved is not impressed at all.

But regardless if a book goes missing I would think they should get full value back and thought that was CGC defence on why they charge so much for the older tiers and stuff worth anything for insurance purposes

Maybe blue still has the pics from his old sales threads.

The term "chipping" in this context just doesn't make any sense (??) :o

I could see if they said corner scrunch or rack-type stress/bend or something of that nature...chipping...WTF is that supposed to mean? (especially after now seeing the scan)...

I'd ask them to send you scans of the book before they go in the slab so you can ascertain just exactly what the damage is and then maybe make some decisions then...what a shame...sounds like this isn't going to turn out well... :tonofbricks: