• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got the dreaded call from CGC today...

309 posts in this topic

thanks Bill!

:cry::cry::cry: ...so disappointing..

selling anymore FFs from your OO collection? :wishluck:

Probably only if you promise not to slab them. :foryou:

I'd be very interested to see the damage. Some defects would be consistent with accidental handling damage at CGC. Dropping a book would result in impact corner crunches, if it lands wrong. Accidentally folding a corner over while stacking books prior to sleeving is possible also.

BUT..... how would chipping accidentally occur? Or multiple color breaking creases on the same corner? hm This is the kind of thing that could, and should raise some serious questions.

Got to agree with that. Just read through the thread and the one thing I kept thinking was the damage described seemed very extensive when compared with the scan of the raw book. It seems like a simple drop of the book or bad handling wouldn't result in the amount of damage being described.

I wouldn't like to speculate on what's actually happened but I just can't seem to add any of this together.

Keeping scans of subbed books is something I've always done too.

Then a description of "chipping" versus "corner damage" as the defects which are different book faults.

Well, there are so many different terms used in comic book grading. I think you'd have to be an expert or something to keep them all straight.

I think you're getting a tad emotional based on third (and fourth) party facts. Now the OP may have reason to be upset, but you don't. :)

David, what bothered me was to read all the details and then have someone come on and just say the only thing wrong was bad communication between two employees.

I'm not meaning to come across emotional. But I sure am not going to dismiss everything as "Silly submitter, you just heard two different stories and read into things" when there are a few mistakes made in this situation.

That's what I didn't like.

It's possible an employee accidentally damaged the books, is worried about their job, especially in this economy and went into Leave it Beaver mode so as to not get caught.

I betcha this is exactly what happened. Someone drops or crunches the books early in the process--maybe during unpacking--and rather than dealing with the situation just passes the books on and hopes his mistake "disappears," or at least can't be traced to him.

Then, a month later, the graders look at the books and think, "this is strange, why would someone submit these books with these obvious defects?" They look at the other books in the submission and the plot thickens, because they are high grade. One guy is troubled enough to give you a call and see if there's an obvious explanation--for example if you confirm that the books you sent in had the defects. When you said no he really didn't have solution to give you because he was still trying to assess the situation.

Then when you called you get another guy. Maybe this guy is aware of the situation but he's more of the attitude that "we don't make that kind of mistake, they must have been damaged in shipping." So his description of the facts are somewhat different than the other guy's, but he also doesn't really know what happened. (I'm not justifying the two different accounts, just trying to figure them out.)

When the dust settles, I hope it is clear to them that they're at fault and they should fully compensate you, if not more than fully compensate you.

And as to the damage, the spine split is more anomalous than the "chipping" or creasing. I can't see how a solid book (i.e. not brittle) could get a spine split through shipping damage. That could only happen if the cover is pulled back, or if something scrapes the book from the top or bottom and pulls the spine apart. This simply couldn't happen when a book is inside a package and inside mylar.

Sounds very odd....after a million slabs,it's obvious that this type of error doesn't occur often.Blues OO books are not likely to have chips breaking off....not at all brittle....almost seems like two copies of the same book were mixed up.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

This reminds me of something that happened with me and a signature witness recently. I sent a couple of books for a signing, after no word from the witness for almost a month, I get this PM:

"Your other book, along with 4 of my books and one other persons book are on their way back to me from (artist name withheld). His wife pulled him out before he could sign the last 6 and I convinced him to take them with him to sign and ship them back to me, otherwise they wouldn't have gotten signed."

Okay, so he let the artist take the books without anyone's knowledge, fine, I can live with that, he could have said something a bit sooner though.

A day or so later I get this PM:

"Yeah, got them yesterday. (artist name withheld) took them out of the bags and i am trying to discern which 2 were mine and which one was yours. Do you have a pic?"

Okay, luckily I did have a scan, and a super large Heritage one to boot. I wonder what book I might have recieved if I didn't have a scan, especially when I found out later the witness had water stained books. How could someone confuse them?

In the end, I got my book, however it had a corner ding that was not present when it was submitted, thus lowering the grade from what it should have recieved. Did the corner ding happen at CGC? While in the possession of the witness? Or did it happen when the witness loaned my book to the artist?

In the end, I got my book, however it had a corner ding that was not present when it was submitted, thus lowering the grade from what it should have recieved. Did the corner ding happen at CGC? While in the possession of the witness? Or did it happen when the witness loaned my book to the artist?

Ouch!

Sorry to hear about this. I'd be more than a little "tad" upset on this one.

This reminds me of something that happened with me and a signature witness recently. I sent a couple of books for a signing, after no word from the witness for almost a month, I get this PM:

"Your other book, along with 4 of my books and one other persons book are on their way back to me from (artist name withheld). His wife pulled him out before he could sign the last 6 and I convinced him to take them with him to sign and ship them back to me, otherwise they wouldn't have gotten signed."

Okay, so he let the artist take the books without anyone's knowledge, fine, I can live with that, he could have said something a bit sooner though.

"Yeah, got them yesterday. (artist name withheld) took them out of the bags and i am trying to discern which 2 were mine and which one was yours. Do you have a pic?"

Okay, luckily I did have a scan, and a super large Heritage one to boot. I wonder what book I might have recieved if I didn't have a scan, especially when I found out later the witness had water stained books. How could someone confuse them?

Did your book come back with a yellow label? ???

I can't see how it could, since the witness did not witness the sig. That's one heck of a fishy tale there!

I can't see how it could, since the witness did not witness the sig. That's one heck of a fishy tale there!

That's my point. If it came back with a SS label.....we have a problem.

I didn't even think about that, as for all you know the artist's wife could have signed these and nobody would know unless they compared signatures.

Or at least his kid who after each signing liked to smack the book down on one corner as a "stamp of approval."

I didn't even think about that, as for all you know the artist's wife could have signed these and nobody would know unless they compared signatures.

Or at least his kid who after each signing liked to smack the book down on one corner as a "stamp of approval."

:idea:

This is like my worst comic nightmare... It'll be awhile before I drop any expensive books in the mail after this story. Sheesh!

It may sound corny, but I am very paranoid and I don't submit because I believe

crazy things can happen during this process.

I am a fan of CGC, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't submit anything

I just buy them already graded.

And after hearing this, even though I have about 100 books that are CGC worthy

I wouldn't submit them even if CGC gave the subs to me for free.

I'm just that paranoid over situations like this.

:P

This is my feelings as well.I just can't put my mind around sending a comic such as an AF #15,and it even getting lost in the mail,damaged in transit etc.I guess I'm just not a trusting person,but the odds are against you. (shrug)

This is like my worst comic nightmare... It'll be awhile before I drop any expensive books in the mail after this story. Sheesh!

It may sound corny, but I am very paranoid and I don't submit because I believe

crazy things can happen during this process.

I am a fan of CGC, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't submit anything

I just buy them already graded.

And after hearing this, even though I have about 100 books that are CGC worthy

I wouldn't submit them even if CGC gave the subs to me for free.

I'm just that paranoid over situations like this.

:P

You guys really need to get laid. meh

Post of the year. Post of the decade. (worship)

Yeah, it's not like this Signature Witness program hasn't had a ton of controversy so far. meh