• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it unethical to only provide a grade and …

37 posts in this topic

This is a thread about a $4 slightly over graded book with a huge scan, right? doh!

Just checking.

Morning Sunshine! lol

It's not the dollar value, but the education on what to look for on books. And like I was sharing, to expect a seller to list out every defect per book when there is a common grading expectation would be tough.

Sure, it would be nice if he had something like "My grades are based on Overstreet," but a VG book may have some pieces missing.

Where were the purchases from? Ebay by any chance?

My question is not about an ebay sellers. I can provide an instance of a book listed on these boards too, if you like. It is about seller's ommission and their intent whether innocent or malicious. Should certain flaws always be disclosed are is just a lower grade acceptable practice?

BTW - That is one of my favorite movies.

I wasn't hitting on the thread content, I've just seen it so many times on eBay. Is it ethical? I suppose if the defect is allowed in the grade the book was assigned then there is not a problem.

Personally I do list major defects though such as stains or detached covers/centrefolds etc. I just like people to know exactly what they're getting (thumbs u

And that is the best way to approach it. If I list a book that is a VG with typical VG defects, sometimes I say "wear typical for grade", sometimes I don't. But if there is something notable like a loose CF, water or other stain, rust, etc that isn't readily seen in the scan, then I note it.

Ring Ring!

Round two

FIGHT! :slapfight:

Okay troublemaker, cut that out now.

I was just pointing out that the thread started with someone wanting to know about disclosure of defects and showing the book in question. Doesn't matter about dollar amount if a grade is stated.

Now get back in your cage. :baiting:

Where were the purchases from? Ebay by any chance?

My question is not about an ebay sellers. I can provide an instance of a book listed on these boards too, if you like. It is about seller's ommission and their intent whether innocent or malicious. Should certain flaws always be disclosed are is just a lower grade acceptable practice?

BTW - That is one of my favorite movies.

I wasn't hitting on the thread content, I've just seen it so many times on eBay. Is it ethical? I suppose if the defect is allowed in the grade the book was assigned then there is not a problem.

Personally I do list major defects though such as stains or detached covers/centrefolds etc. I just like people to know exactly what they're getting (thumbs u

And that is the best way to approach it. If I list a book that is a VG with typical VG defects, sometimes I say "wear typical for grade", sometimes I don't. But if there is something notable like a loose CF, water or other stain, rust, etc that isn't readily seen in the scan, then I note it.

Best answer of the thread. If you're selling a book that looks like a 4.0 but is graded/sold as a 2.0. there's gotta be a reason. State the reason! How hard is it to be proactively honest?

Are you talking about the corner chew at the top right-hand side, as it is pretty apparent from that auction photo?

Sorry but to me it not. I don't have too much experience with chews from bugs or rodents. To me I just thought it was ripped. Again, in a Fine grade, I would not expect some snacking to be had on the book either.

And with that very clearly shown rip/rat chew, whatever, it's apparent it isn't a Fine either. You may want to brush up on your grading...

Jim

What you are stating below is that you have a perk list of defects in the VG grade that bother you. I am not picking on you since I have the same customers who I have to profile because of their perks with high grade (Staple placement, corners, page quality, arrival dates, etc etc). And until the seller knows this than you are asking that he be a mind reader. I have 26K books online, I don't write lengthy descriptions of defects when describing low grade.

"To be completely short-sighted here, there are a few flaws that bother me and while the grade may allow them, I think they should be disclosed".

It's not really a huge list, mostly rustly staples, foxing and mildewly smell which I normally ask these questions before buying even in higher grades.

I am aware that the grade allows and of course, I have passed up books when the seller does not response. I am kind of surprised that there is a tolerance of not having these type of flaws described.

Undisclosed rusty staples and mildew pissses me off, whatever the grade. :sumo:

My how things have changed. Anyone remember buying in the pre-internet era?
:eek:

Are you talking about the corner chew at the top right-hand side, as it is pretty apparent from that auction photo?

Sorry but to me it not. I don't have too much experience with chews from bugs or rodents. To me I just thought it was ripped. Again, in a Fine grade, I would not expect some snacking to be had on the book either.

And with that very clearly shown rip/rat chew, whatever, it's apparent it isn't a Fine either. You may want to brush up on your grading...

Jim

I guess so but I have not come across many examples of bug/rat chewed books either. Not too many listed for sale here either. For all I know the corner could be ripped off.

Jim

I guess so but I have not come across many examples of bug/rat chewed books either. Not too many listed for sale here either. For all I know the corner could be ripped off.

Not sure it makes a diff - rat chew, scissors, pressure tears, trimming - heck, pinking shears, it all results in the same thing.

It looks like the rat chew is pretty apparent in the scan. I don't see what the problem is, truthfully.

Maybe you should raise your grade that you collect from VG to FN or FVF. It just seems unrealistic to have a list of unacceptable defects in VG books, when VG books are VG for a reason. Or at least come to terms that you're just trying to get FN or better books at VG prices, which is what it looks like to me. :juggle:

This is a thread about a $4 slightly over graded book with a huge scan, right? doh!

Just checking.

No, I just provided that as an example. Really what sparked this question was the first example I posted as I don't understand why they did not just list the defect. I think going back and checking the book to answer my question took more work than just initially listing it with a reason why a book that looks better than a 2.0 is graded as such.

If you read the thread, I am currently looking at books in VG range and am wondering what to expect. Quite possible looking to cut off some bad experiences.

I am not a grading expert and I am mostly concerned with structural soundness of the book. Wear and tear does not bother me at all.

It looks like the rat chew is pretty apparent in the scan. I don't see what the problem is, truthfully.

Maybe you should raise your grade that you collect from VG to FN or FVF. It just seems unrealistic to have a list of unacceptable defects in VG books, when VG books are VG for a reason. Or at least come to terms that you're just trying to get FN or better books at VG prices, which is what it looks like to me. :juggle:

Am I not really explaining myself correctly here. I am not complaining about a certain book and only using these as an example. Perhaps, I should not have used an examples.

Personally, the idea that some type of disease ridden creature snacking on the very think that I am about to read, turns me off a bit. That's the problem. But it is not the reason for the thread.

I am giving up. Thank you for those that attempted to help.

That's fine if you hate bug chew.

I'm just saying that if you collect VGs, it might be something you'll get from time to time unless you specifically inquire about it.

Is it uneithical not to list the defects of a book if the grade is assigned? I don't think it is. As long as the grade is accurate, I don't think it makes as difference. (shrug)