• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is better - CGC 9.4 OW-W or CGC 9.2 W?

43 posts in this topic

Hi all! This is probably a preference thing; but I wanted to get others' opinions. When is it better to have a one level higher grade versus a one level better page quality (assuming all other eye appeal qualities, like centering and printing defects, are equal)? Up until recently, I always tried to get the White pages, even if it meant sacrificing one grade level. Recently, however, I'm beginning to lean the other way and prefer the grade. I'd like your opinions in general as well as with the specific two comics below. Thanks!

269563798_o.jpg

269563786_o.jpg

Guest Grails

Case by case basis. With the X-Men example you posted, I would go with the 9.4.

If that 9.2 White had an interesting pedigree, I'd think twice.

Personal preference - there should not be a "right or wrong" answer here.

Many have stated that they like and prefer the 9.4 owtw.

Me? I would prefer the 9.2 WHITE.

But for this line-of-reasoning: The purchase price is going to be significantly lower for that 9.2 WHITE than that 9.4 any-page-quality. Getting the same Issue with a 1/128" inch ding on the lower spine corner with WHITE page quality for half the price.

I personally like 9.2's. No one else seems to want them unless they cannot get the 9.4 of a particular Issue.

Several Dealers told me that they felt that the CGC NM- 9.2 is the "ultimate trap grade". Yes that statement has some merit. But as these 9.2's are overlooked, sold just to sell them, or sold for upgrades, this creates a lot of opportunities to get a nice collection built up.

The 9.2 is a great comic to own, in my opinion. WHITE page quality for the GA/SA comics are very hard to find, and can be hard to find BA.

Hope this post helps to see the other side of this equation.

CAL who has a lot of 9.2's...

The 9.4 I showed actually looks better than the 9.2 since the centering is a little better and the colors are brighter. So that may have swayed most everyone to go straight to the higher grade for the specific example. But I think Diggler's right; and I'm actually leaning toward which ever book has the best eye appeal whenever it's too close in grade or page quality. Then, if eye appeal is too close to call, I'd go with the grade.

thumbsup2.gif