• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is better - CGC 9.4 OW-W or CGC 9.2 W?

43 posts in this topic

Personal preference - there should not be a "right or wrong" answer here.

Many have stated that they like and prefer the 9.4 owtw.

Me? I would prefer the 9.2 WHITE.

But for this line-of-reasoning: The purchase price is going to be significantly lower for that 9.2 WHITE than that 9.4 any-page-quality. Getting the same Issue with a 1/128" inch ding on the lower spine corner with WHITE page quality for half the price.

I personally like 9.2's. No one else seems to want them unless they cannot get the 9.4 of a particular Issue.

Several Dealers told me that they felt that the CGC NM- 9.2 is the "ultimate trap grade". Yes that statement has some merit. But as these 9.2's are overlooked, sold just to sell them, or sold for upgrades, this creates a lot of opportunities to get a nice collection built up.

The 9.2 is a great comic to own, in my opinion. WHITE page quality for the GA/SA comics are very hard to find, and can be hard to find BA.

Hope this post helps to see the other side of this equation.

CAL who has a lot of 9.2's...

I'm with Cal,you guys fight over who has the highest graded.I'll take 9.2s all day for the price (thumbs u

Is this question a joke?

No it is not a joke.

For your punishment you must Express Int'l me all your SA Marvel Supes 9.2s... PM me for my address

CAL :sumo:

Is this really a thread?

See the above post. Same punishment. Don't send that racoon, though. S/he might put some "chew" on the 9.2s rendering them .02s.

CAL :sumo:

I'd take the 9.2 with White pages.

Page quality is more valuable to me than a .2 "note" that could really go either way.... My 2 cents. Buy the book. Not the label. :sumo:

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

you guys do realize that pq is just as subjective as the .2. If both books were subbed 10x i can almost guarantee both would go through grade and pq 'changes' Labels are labels. buy books.

I'd take the 9.2 with White pages.

Page quality is more valuable to me than a .2 "note" that could really go either way.... My 2 cents. Buy the book. Not the label. :sumo:

I would also recommend buying the book, not the LaBelle....

labelle.jpg

Wow. Great Thread.

Based on the criteria of the three variables of 9.4, 9.2, or case-by-case basis, the 9.4 was destroying the 9.2 camp 13-0-3 until yesterday at 7:18 PM.

As of now, the tally has:

KingOfRulers

Count

Kenglo1

TFL

JazzMan

Trmoore54

gladuchka99

SolitaireOne

paperheart

toro

David20009

alwaysbronze

Boozad

The Silver Age

AGGIEZ

slym2none

CAL

oakman29

JerseyComicBoy

rodan57

DarthCorgi

case-by-case-basis

Grails

RockMyAmadeus

Mr. Diggler

FFB

appollobuzz

Now it stands 16-4-5.

Hopefully we will get more folks' opinions on this interesting topic.

CAL likes certain stats

Thanks for following this so closely CAL. Since probably like most of us, I like to sell/trade my undercopies when I upgrade, I was having a hard time deciding which would be considered an undercopy in cases like this one. I figured it was the 9.2 (at least for my specific example), but also suspected page quality would come into play at some point (like with C-OW pages). From following some of the other threads, I think another big factor is the centering or "white spine" aspect. If I had shown a 9.4 with a white spine, we probably would have seen a lot more votes go to the 9.2 with a better cut.

One of the reasons I went with the 9.2 is because I do notice the white spine on the 9.4. When I buy slabbed I always ask to see the back cover and hold out for books where the black line separating the front and back lies on the spine. (As I only buy between 8.5 and 9.2 Silver and early Bronze, holding out for a better copy is not hard.) The 9.2 looks better to me without that small bit of white. Indeed to go farther, I think the white spine on so many high grade books is a bit of a cheat as stresses can be hidden on the white.

my opinion is a purchase has to be a factor of ones' criteria...

1-value at 9.2 vs 9.4

2-visual presentation...

3-page quality

4-personal preference...

my response

1-as an almost strickly GA collector, I can tell you that 9.2 or 9.4 are the "same" to me...so 9.2 has more "value" for me...

2-in this case, the 9.2 has better visual appeal to me (and probably much less $)

3-that said, I can also tell you (as someone else mentioned) that ow/w vs w pages would be undistinquishable by probably 50-80% of collectors (just trying to be conservative), so it is really just for "label chasers"

4-9.2 seems the "logical" choice in this scenario