• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ziff-Davis

20 posts in this topic

Just found out my mom used to work for Ziff Davis in the 1950's. My mom kept copies of Ziff-Davis's in-house 8 page glossy company newsletter called ZD Mirror. (Vol. 1, issues 1, 2, and 3--Oct. 1951, January 1952, and March 1952 respectively) One issue shows a pic of Bert Lahr reading an Amazing Fantasy. The same newsletter has a picture of the first issue of Fantastic on its first page. Each newsletter devotes a small section to Ziff's comics division. Would these newsletters be of any interest to GA folks?

Ditto, great stuff! Thanks for the scans!

If there was ever an newsletter article about Jerry Siegel (I believe he was the ZD comics editor around this time?), I'd really enjoy seeing it.

I posted this in another thread but I scanned it for this thread. Sorry about the double post. Nice stuff here. Love the Bert Lahr phot and the story line of his show.

3610839200_7979a0a00d_b.jpg

Who is the cover artist?

Detail3.jpg

Detail4.jpg

:bump:

I went ahead and forwarded (via the care of Roy Thomas) these cartoons to Herb Rogoff the cartoonist. Here's his reply:

"I enjoyed seeing them again, though I had completely forgotten I had ever drawn them. Seeing the cartoons made me think about the house organ which Z-D published. I think there were only two issues. [scrooge Note: more in fact since we just saw 3]. I do recall that Jerry Siegal was still at the company and was the editor of the comics division and that I was upset when the company Table of Organization was printed in one of the editions. It appeared that they listed me as assistant editor instead of associate editor and this riled me quite a bit. I was 25 years old then and perturbed by what I thought (and knew) to be a misstatement of my position. I informed the editor of the house organ (whoever that person was) and was assured that the next issue would print a correction. There never was a "next issue."

... so thanks for posting the newsletters and I sent a link to them to Herb (thumbs u

Detail3.jpg

Detail4.jpg

:bump:

I went ahead and forwarded (via the care of Roy Thomas) these cartoons to Herb Rogoff the cartoonist. Here's his reply:

"I enjoyed seeing them again, though I had completely forgotten I had ever drawn them. Seeing the cartoons made me think about the house organ which Z-D published. I think there were only two issues. [scrooge Note: more in fact since we just saw 3]. I do recall that Jerry Siegal was still at the company and was the editor of the comics division and that I was upset when the company Table of Organization was printed in one of the editions. It appeared that they listed me as assistant editor instead of associate editor and this riled me quite a bit. I was 25 years old then and perturbed by what I thought (and knew) to be a misstatement of my position. I informed the editor of the house organ (whoever that person was) and was assured that the next issue would print a correction. There never was a "next issue."

... so thanks for posting the newsletters and I sent a link to them to Herb (thumbs u

Cool!

Roy Thomas--one of my childhood heroes, still a big fan! (worship) Glad Herb enjoyed seeing the drawings again.

The organization chart is in one of the issues, but I didn't scan it because it was rather bulky and hard to read. I don't think it will scan well, but I'll look to see who's on it if anybody is interested.