• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could Detective 27 one day replace Action 1 as the #1 GA book?

97 posts in this topic

I've noticed a very slight increase in Fawcett collection in my own little world. I personally took an interest to collecting them last summer and have since had Harley ask me if I know of any early Whiz available, Jeff has restarted as well as a few online raw sales fetching decent money.

I understand that Whiz #1 is a tough sell at times but I have my sights on a copy one day soon. I just love that book.

I think a revamp of the character would do wonders. He was so well done in "Kingdom Come". My gosh, the character has so much more to offer than half the heros that cover the newsstands today.

:shy:

A modern twist with a slightly dark and serious Captain Marvel would make a terrific foil against a naive Billy Batson.

Put a good writer and artist on it (Busiek/Ross anyone?) and you'd have something that would put him back on the scene.

Oh yeah, and DC should never have been given the power to kill the character.

:sumo:

There's been a lot of talk about a movie, and The Rock has expressed interest in playing Black Adam.

I'm sure most of this group has seen the Captain Marvel serial from 1941. Many, including me, put it as one of the best serials ever made.

Just please don't make a campy CM movie - it could be a great flick, if done right.

It's possible at some point. It depends on the pop culture appeal of the characters. It's impossible to predict what people might hold highest one or two generations from now.

I've noticed a very slight increase in Fawcett collection in my own little world. I personally took an interest to collecting them last summer and have since had Harley ask me if I know of any early Whiz available, Jeff has restarted as well as a few online raw sales fetching decent money.

I understand that Whiz #1 is a tough sell at times but I have my sights on a copy one day soon. I just love that book.

I think a revamp of the character would do wonders. He was so well done in "Kingdom Come". My gosh, the character has so much more to offer than half the heros that cover the newsstands today.

A modern twist with a slightly dark and serious Captain Marvel would make a terrific foil against a naive Billy Batson.

Put a good writer and artist on it (Busiek/Ross anyone?) and you'd have something that would put him back on the scene.

There's been a lot of talk about a movie, and The Rock has expressed interest in playing Black Adam.

I'm sure most of this group has seen the Captain Marvel serial from 1941. Many, including me, put it as one of the best serials ever made.

Just please don't make a campy CM movie - it could be a great flick, if done right.

Camp would be utter failure.

Marvel can be serious. Again if you haven't read Kingdom Come, well then you are missing a lot.

:wishluck:

If Geoff Johns likes the character, I would give it to him to write if you want a winner. (thumbs u

Camp would be utter failure.

Marvel can be serious. Again if you haven't read Kingdom Come, well then you are missing a lot.

:wishluck:

FWIW, I would love to see Kingdom Come made into a movie (expanded for a trilogy?). It would basically be LOTR with superheroes. :headbang:

FWIW, I would love to see Kingdom Come made into a movie (expanded for a trilogy?). It would basically be LOTR with superheroes. :headbang:

My gosh. Never thought of that. It would be mind blowing!

WIth the recent sale this week of a FR/GD Tec 27 for $83,650 at Heritage, combined with the continued popularity of Batman (being superior to Superman IMO)......is Tec 27 headed to "one day" be the #1 Golden Age book, with Action 1 dropping to the #2 spot? It's happened before (not with these 2 books).... In the past, weren't Whiz #2 (#1) and WDC&S #1 the top GA books at some point, and then time / character popularity / hobby changes dethroned them from the top spot?

I don't want to see this happen per se, but it sure seems feasible?, with a recent sales of a low grade unrestored CGC graded Action 1 at ComicConnect and this Heritage Tec 27 selling for very close to identical prices if you adjust for grade. Seems like Tec 27 is "catching up", at least from a value standpoint, to Action 1......question is, can it / might is surpass??? Staying #1 "forever" is a long time.............

It's happened before, so sure, why not?

I think a better question is will Whiz Comics ever regain some of it's former strength as a corner stone run in the hobby?

Maybe if a few decent unrestored copies would go for big bucks and put the book back on the map. Except for the sale of the MH copy some 14 years ago, I don't recall any transaction involving a nice unrestored copy of this book. Out of sight, out of mind.

I think a better question is will Whiz Comics ever regain some of it's former strength as a corner stone run in the hobby?

Maybe if a few decent unrestored copies would go for big bucks and put the book back on the map. Except for the sale of the MH copy some 14 years ago, I don't recall any transaction involving a nice unrestored copy of this book. Out of sight, out of mind.

I think eric roberts bought a nice mid grade copy...and I sold a nice 3.0, and metro sold a nice 2.5, but nothing else "nice", you are right

how can anyone take Cap Marvel serious as a character when his "hook" is that he's really a 9 year old boy? That high concept is wayyy outdated. Especially now that kids arent the primary comics audience any more.

how can anyone take Cap Marvel serious as a character when his "hook" is that he's really a 9 year old boy? That high concept is wayyy outdated. Especially now that kids arent the primary comics audience any more.
we could make him a 25 year old clerk at Walmart (shrug)

You need to read Kingdom Come.

I mean Peter Parker is a teen ager and Spidey and that works.

Interesting to note that Captain Marvel of Marvel Comics Group fame also had an alter ego/younger side kid in Rick Jones.

While Bats is the biggest character , between the two covers Action 1 is much better than Tec 27 (which looks kind of clumsy to me). A tiny (not so well drawn) Batman , and a villain holding a gun in a very awkward position does not do it for me (compared to a 29, 31,35,36 and even 37) . Action 1 looks flawless (artistically speaking). Tec will be very close (forever I guess) but Action will always stay slightly ahead.

While Bats is the biggest character , between the two covers Action 1 is much better than Tec 27 (which looks kind of clumsy to me). A tiny (not so well drawn) Batman , and a villain holding a gun in a very awkward position does not do it for me (compared to a 29, 31,35,36 and even 37) . Action 1 looks flawless (artistically speaking). Tec will be very close (forever I guess) but Action will always stay slightly ahead.

I disagree John! I like Tec 27, but only slightly better than Action 1's cover...when I think of Action 1, all I see is that big green car :P But, you're right, the Bat-Man covers on 29, 31, etc are better because he's drawn in the "night" when he strikes :devil:

I think if it was pitched as "Big" with a superhero theme, someone might bite.

well bob kane WAS one of the worst artists in history, so........

dont agree on this, his covers of Tecs 29, 31, 33, 35, 36, 37, 38 and Bat 1 are spectacular. Just the 27 does not seem to be awesome like the others. As for Action 1 , it is explosive and awesome, kind of like -in your face. Dont even have the right words for it.

given that Batman has been a far more popular character than Superman for quite some time now, if it was going to happen it would have already. I think Action 1's ultimate key status as the book that started it all (as far as superheroes go) is enshrined and won't be overtaken.