• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC and Marvel- Orginals and Knockoffs

90 posts in this topic

We all know there's only so many types of superheroes out there and that both companies have "borrowed" types from each other throughout the decades. I thought it would be fun to post the originals and knockoffs and see if we could come up with a definitive list to see just how large this trend is.

Since most other companies have done homage style books of Marvel and DC characters, I wouldn't want to attempt to add them. That list would be near infinite.

For example,

Plastic Man (original) / Mr. Fantastic (Knockoff)

The SubMariner (original) / Aquaman (Knockoff)

Dare I say .... Note that there is some similarites but they do have their differences but eventually someone will say it.

Batman - Moon Knight

Moon Knight being better of course but not first to come out :P

Batman's tricky. And of course, the discussion about this topic will be more fun than listing the easier ones.

I don't know that Batman has an easy knockoff. I think Daredevil comes a bit close as well, but then I think DD is an original as well.

Here's some that I think don't have easy knockoffs. (again, Marvel and DC only)

Punisher

Wolverine

Spider-Man

Superman

Batman

The Hulk

Iron Man

close. but not DC/Marvel, and CM lacked a few key powers didn't he? In fact, his court case showed that it would be hard pressed to ever create characters that close again.

I also wanted to start a thread calling Superman the biggest Mary Sue that ever was invented, and show how his one character equals about ten other characters. But I don't think there's enough meat on those bones.

Superman=Captain Marvel

Cyclops

Angel

Man who can look thru walls

Power Man

Wolverine (healing power)

Flash

I know I'm missing stuff, but man, that's whole lotta power to have to overcome, issue after issue. I love how Batman uses his brain to defeat Supes in DKR. Supes is lazy. Can you imagine Bruce Wayne with Superman's powers?

Plastic Man (original) / Mr. Fantastic (Knockoff)

Plastic Man (original) / Elongated Man (Knockoff) / Mr. Fantastic (Knockoff)

:applause:

common guys, superman has an OBVIOUS knockoff, he also has a giant S on his shirt, the SENTRY, sentry is pretty much all powerful and more powerful than a million exploding suns, just way too much like superman, more so than captain marvel

The Lensmen pulp action Hero ripped off by The Green Lantern

Zorro Riped off by Batman

Dr. Midnite / GA Daredevil - SA Daredevil.

And if you're allowed swipes from elsewhere...

Dr. Jekyll & Mister Hyde / Frankenstein - The Hulk.