• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC and Marvel- Orginals and Knockoffs

90 posts in this topic

Specter/Doctor Strange

Challengers Of The Unknown/Fantastic Four (both Kirby)

Martian Manhunter/Impossible Man

(Whats his name the guy that was with the Boy Commandoes had a shield)/Captain America (momentarly brain fart) :frustrated:

The Fly/Spider-Man

Perry White/JJJ

Clark Kent/Peter Parker

Green Lantern/Manderin

Robotman/Iron Man

DC and Stan Lee

FOR CERTAIN:

JLA/Fantastic Four

Atom/Ant Man

Hawkman/Angel

Supes/Cyclops (among many others)

Flash/Quicksilver

Green Arrow/Hawkeye

DEBATABLE:

Batman/Daredevil

CRAZY (maybe):

Green Lantern/Thor (I know...but both had a single instrument that gave them their power and both dealt with mostly other-worldly foes - not as common then as today's 29 worlds)

OT:

Alfred E. Neuman/That blond kid from Cracked

Is there a DC counterpart to Punisher, Wolverine or Bullseye?

And who came first? Deathstroke or the bad guy from the Avengers with all the different weapons? Weaponstroke?

What about JLA / Avengers? Would think that more of a comparison then fantastic four.

FF was created partly in response to the success of DC's JLA. The other, more significant factor was Stan Lee's desire to do a comic book with more depth of character.

Dare I say .... Note that there is some similarites but they do have their differences but eventually someone will say it.

Batman - Moon Knight

Moon Knight being better of course but not first to come out :P

I believe Batman came out in Detective 38.

Still, JLA and The Avengers seems a more valid comparison - both teams were created from already-established super-heroes. The FF consisted of all-new characters.

Just my 2¢

-slym

Mr. Fantastic = Plastic Man knockoff

Human Torch = Stan tweaking an old character he had the rights to

The Thing = superhero spin on the monsters that paid Stan's rent through the 1950s. Arguably an archetype that goes back several hundred years to the Beast in Beauty and the Beast.

Invisible Girl = original? Although H.G. Wells beat Stan by several decades. But making the invisble one a woman was good thinking by Stan.

Well if we go that far even Superman is not Orginal.

He is a rip off of a 1930's Character called Gladiator.

Philip Wylie's wrote a pulp novel called Gladiator in 1930, starring Hugo Danner, a man whose father invents a secret formula that can create superpowers. Instead of selling it and making millions, he just injects it into his son, Hugo gains super strength, bullet proof skin and the ability to jump over the tallest building in a single bound.

Well if we go that far even Superman is not Orginal.

He is a rip off of a 1930's Character called Gladiator.

Philip Wylie's wrote a pulp novel called Gladiator in 1930, starring Hugo Danner, a man whose father invents a secret formula that can create superpowers. Instead of selling it and making millions, he just injects it into his son, Hugo gains super strength, bullet proof skin and the ability to jump over the tallest building in a single bound.

oh, that's cool.

Still, JLA and The Avengers seems a more valid comparison - both teams were created from already-established super-heroes. The FF consisted of all-new characters.

Just my 2¢

-slym

The Thing = superhero spin on the monsters that paid Stan's rent through the 1950s. Arguably an archetype that goes back several hundred years to the Beast in Beauty and the Beast.

Invisible Girl = original? Although H.G. Wells beat Stan by several decades. But making the invisble one a woman was good thinking by Stan.

I never said they weren't possible knock-offs... but they were new characters for Marvel. Before FF#1, there was no Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Jonny Storm, or Ben Grimm.

doh!

-slym

Dare I say .... Note that there is some similarites but they do have their differences but eventually someone will say it.

Batman - Moon Knight

Moon Knight being better of course but not first to come out :P

And?

Just my 2¢

-slym

I never said they weren't possible knock-offs... but they were new characters for Marvel. Before FF#1, there was no Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Jonny Storm, or Ben Grimm.

doh!

-slym

One thing sort of similar is that JLA and Avengers are made up and I say loosely RANDOM super heroes to make a team while FF was not.

Wait.....wait.....this MAY make sense after all....

ROBIN was introduced in Detective #38....and before then, Batman was, as far as we know, single.....

So maybe Batman DID "come out" in Tec #38!

It all makes sense now....

One thing sort of similar is that JLA and Avengers are made up and I say loosely RANDOM super heroes to make a team while FF was not.

That's pretty much all I was trying to get at.

-slym