• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC and Marvel- Orginals and Knockoffs

90 posts in this topic

Excellent thread...

How about the Bob Rozakis written/Tony Isabella edited, D i c k Ayers/Jack Abel drawn knock-off/homage to the Invaders/All-Winners Squad...

The Crusaders....from Freedom Fighters 7-8.

crusaders.jpg

I swear this to be true...when I was a kid, I kept this book to show to my friends, for one reason and one reason only.....to PROVE that DC sucked, and could do nothing more than rip-off Marvel Comics...lol!!!!

AAAHHHH...to be young and naive again.....

Don't think I saw the Green Arrow/Hawkeye comparison made.....

(thumbs u

Bump

W O W, that is weak. like intentionally parodic.

I bet it is intentional. Some muckety muck high up the food chain at DC probably decided to horn in on Marvel's action, and told the writer to basically come as close to copyright infringement as possible, without crossing that line. So, the writer decides to show said muckety muck how stupid his idea is by doing just that. At least, that's what I hope, because I cannot honestly believe someone could write that poorly by accident, and get paid for it.

agree.

I agree with you in principle, Sean, but would bump the time back to say that Marvel owned the 60s, 70s and first half of the 80s.

Watchmen, DKR was the trumpet call (87?). And by 89, Sandman was the horde.

I agree with you in principle, Sean, but would bump the time back to say that Marvel owned the 60s, 70s and first half of the 80s.

What's a few years between friends? Marvel had Miller Daredevil and Claremont/Byrne X-Men at the start of the decade. Can't argue that those two didn't rule the newsstand roost.

What's a few years between friends? Marvel had Miller Daredevil and Claremont/Byrne X-Men at the start of the decade. Can't argue that those two didn't rule the newsstand roost.

(thumbs u

and following up on your 90s comment, DC has kept that Vertigo train right on rolling. It's really hard to understate the impact that Vertigo has had on modern comics. And I agree, when you mentioned Swamp Thing 20 (thought it was 22, though) that that heralds something really special and different.

How about:

The Shadow/Batman

For Tec27 Bob Kane even directly copied dialogue from a Shadow pulp (forgot name). Meanwhile, Bill Finger was copying SOME of the art for that issue from another earlier comic done by someone else entirely. There's articles out there about this, you might end of REALLY hating Bob Kane after you read them.

Excellent thread...

How about the Bob Rozakis written/Tony Isabella edited, D i c k Ayers/Jack Abel drawn knock-off/homage to the Invaders/All-Winners Squad...

crusaders.jpg

I swear this to be true...when I was a kid, I kept this book to show to my friends, for one reason and one reason only.....to PROVE that DC sucked, and could do nothing more than rip-off Marvel Comics...lol!!!!

(thumbs u

Bump

I bet it is intentional. Some muckety muck high up the food chain at DC probably decided to horn in on Marvel's action, and told the writer to basically come as close to copyright infringement as possible, without crossing that line. So, the writer decides to show said muckety muck how stupid his idea is by doing just that. At least, that's what I hope, because I cannot honestly believe someone could write that poorly by accident, and get paid for it.

It has to be a joke - Barracuda looks like a guy who's dressed up vaguely as Subby for a Con, whilst the others (especially the Human Torch/Toro clones) look pathetic and have trite dialogue. However it's debatable that it was meant to be funny or just pure laziness.

DC had lost a lot of talent by this point, with the Implosion only a couple of years away. This period was kind of a nadir for the company (this strip being a case in point).

It wasn't all bad during this period, though - Englehart and Rogers' Detective run and Michael Golden's work were both outstanding. However it's no secret that DC's feeble mimicry of Marvel became earnest when new publisher Jenette Kahn basically told Marvel stalwarts Wolfman and Perez to do a "Marvel style" series for DC with the New Teen Titans.

Excellent thread...

crusaders.jpg

(thumbs u

Bump

It has to be a joke - Barracuda looks like a guy who's dressed up vaguely as Subby for a Con, whilst the others (especially the Human Torch/Toro clones) look pathetic and have trite dialogue. However it's debatable that it was meant to be funny or just pure laziness.

DC had lost a lot of talent by this point, with the Implosion only a couple of years away. This period was kind of a nadir for the company (this strip being a case in point).

It wasn't all bad during this period, though - Englehart and Rogers' Detective run and Michael Golden's work were both outstanding. However it's no secret that DC's feeble mimicry of Marvel became earnest when new publisher Jenette Kahn basically told Marvel stalwarts Wolfman and Perez to do a "Marvel style" series for DC with the New Teen Titans.

It was intentional. There was a gentlemen's agreement between the creators of the Freedom Fighters and the Invaders to do an unofficial "crossover." Invaders 14 and 15 also has a group called the Crusaders who match up with the Freedom Fighters.

Invaders14.jpgInvaders15.jpg

Here's some that I think don't have easy knockoffs. (again, Marvel and DC only)

Punisher

"The character was one of the first amoral characters in American comic books, influenced by the Punisher from Marvel Comics and The Executioner series of novels." Link

Maybe.... (shrug)

80360.jpg.0b343fe03b2bde58d20937480c66c85f.jpg