• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is Batman 1 overtaking Marvel Comics 1 in terms of value, significance....

111 posts in this topic

And I'm getting mine back in 3 weeks. :cloud9:

Tormentor! :frustrated:

Arent you like some super important CEO or something (shrug)

If you had my paycheck you wouldnt be tormented, yet rather accepting of never getting one lol

Well if you had my paycheck you'd be accepting of not even getting an AF 15 in 1.0 condition :cry:

Seems like Bat 1 is like an AF 15 months ago where it just gets red hot all of a sudden.
temp decline in available supply and increased demand (myriad of factors)... as metro pointed out somewhere (might have been market report)...they can't remember the last time they didn't have like 5 copies in stock... the book is cyclical... right now is the time to sell...buy them back on the flipside

The Batman movie franchise is hot right now.....it makes collector investors feel comfortable sinking retirement money into one....and it only takes a few new players. It's an easy sell....all original material ,FIRST Joker AND Catwoman....bright cover that is forgiving of defects.....it really SHOULD be higher up in the pecking order, maybe even the number 3 book.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Every time I see a Bat 1 it makes me think of a dealer buddy of mine back in the late 90's....he had high grade copies of ASM 1 and AF 15 and couldn't sell 'em at his price,which was reasonable, and traded them for a real sharp 6.5 Bat 1 and had trouble moving it also....comics were really tanking back then....it was a couple years before CGC stepped in and cleaned up the house.

I think it has actually already been discussed very recently in another thread (as in the last 2-3 days)...

maybe in higher grades, but not in lower....

the last 2.0 marvel 1 sold for almost $22K

no way the 2.0 batman 1 on ebay will come close to that...

restored marvel 1's sell for almost double than their comparative batman 1 counterparts...

but, we are seeing a lack of available batman 1's in the market, and a seemingly over abundance of marvel 1's... that is the current trend, but it is cyclical and will flip back again sooner than later (IMO)

As always Rick well said. (thumbs u Now while I can understand that there are rabid Batman fans on these boards but to suggest that the 15th, 20th or whatever appearance of Batman is somehow more significant an issue than the MC#1 is not even justifyable.

I think it has actually already been discussed very recently in another thread (as in the last 2-3 days)...

maybe in higher grades, but not in lower....

the last 2.0 marvel 1 sold for almost $22K

no way the 2.0 batman 1 on ebay will come close to that...

restored marvel 1's sell for almost double than their comparative batman 1 counterparts...

but, we are seeing a lack of available batman 1's in the market, and a seemingly over abundance of marvel 1's... that is the current trend, but it is cyclical and will flip back again sooner than later (IMO)

As always Rick well said. (thumbs u Now while I can understand that there are rabid Batman fans on these boards but to suggest that the 15th, 20th or whatever appearance of Batman is somehow more significant an issue than the MC#1 is not even justifyable.

How about the 1st appearance of the The Joker? I would say that has TONS of relevance, not just to the comics community, but to the general public.

I think the super-keys attract the attention of some affluent investors from outside of the comics community. That being the case, characters that are "hot" not just within our little funny book club, but among the general public, would logically attract the most attention.

The Joker fits that bill. Nothing in MC #1 does.

Okay the Joker vs the flagship book for Marvel Comics? No doubt that makes the Bats #1 a major key but what's next the Red Skull, Lex Luthor or Dr. Doom's 1st appearance trumps the MC#1 as well? Doesn't make sense to me.
Joker is hands down the most important villian in comics history. The only othe mentionables are Green Goblin, Dr.Doom, and that wraps it up. But the Joker is the best IMO.

And honestly, aside from being #1 is the MMC 1 even a GREAT read? As in does it hold up? Or are we just super impressed with a cover, and a number on the cover?

I think the super-keys attract the attention of some affluent investors from outside of the comics community. That being the case, characters that are "hot" not just within our little funny book club, but among the general public, would logically attract the most attention.

The Joker fits that bill. Nothing in MC #1 does.

The Joker is just as recognised at Batman by everyone.

They are obviously liked for different reasons.

Batman #1 is a cool book ( I happend to have a soft spot for yellow covers, Joker and an incredible villian and the cover is absolutely spectacular even if it has Robin on it) but Marvel Comics #1 is just special to people for different reasons.

It reminds of a Porsche advert in a magazine that I saw almost 20 years ago.

It said "Porsches elicit an emotional response rather than a logical one".

Each person will have their attachments for whatever reason.

Marvel Zombies will always have their reasons for choosing MC #1. I don't think I'll ever put a book above it no matter what it's worth relative to other books.

The flavor of the month seems to be Batman #1. Why not? It's a great book. It's just lower on the list for me personally.

R.

Okay the Joker vs the flagship book for Marvel Comics? No doubt that makes the Bats #1 a major key but what's next the Red Skull, Lex Luthor or Dr. Doom's 1st appearance trumps the MC#1 as well? Doesn't make sense to me.
Joker is hands down the most important villian in comics history. The only othe mentionables are Green Goblin, Dr.Doom, and that wraps it up. But the Joker is the best IMO.

And honestly, aside from being #1 is the MMC 1 even a GREAT read? As in does it hold up? Or are we just super impressed with a cover, and a number on the cover?

Well bascially the first appearance of the Human Torch and the Sub-Mariner (yes I know about the MPFW) plus its Marvel's first issue which I'd say is very important, more so than some villain that was made ultra popular because of a recent movie. DC can roll out a new version of the Flash in the 1950's and that gets tons of recognition, tons of props yet Marvel can do the same with the Torch in the Fantastic Four [10x more popular than the Flash] and now no one knows who the Torch is anymore? I think MC#1 is a good read but its only their first issue so to try and compare the storylines with a character that has already a dozen or so issues under its belt is comparing apples and oranges. The Superman story for Action #1 is pretty lame IMO.

MC#1 is the birth of the Marvel Universe which if you haven't noticed in the last 50 years is without question the most dominant comic book company in the world, that has to count for something.

more so than some villain that was made ultra popular because of a recent movie.

He's been very popular for a lot longer than that.

Sure but no where near as popular as recently. As good a performance as Jack Nickelson gave when he did the Joker it doesn't even touch what Ledger did for the characters popularity.

Hard to say how whether is was Nicholson's performance, or the movie itself, but GA Bats certainly experienced a huge jump in prices after the first Batman movie.

I'll say it again. The Joker is far more prominent in the minds of the general public than anything in MC #1. The sale of Metro's Action #1 CGC 6.0 is a recent example of how super-keys can attract money outside of the hobby.

Hard to say how whether is was Nicholson's performance, or the movie itself, but GA Bats certainly experienced a huge jump in prices after the first Batman movie.

I'll say it again. The Joker is far more prominent in the minds of the general public than anything in MC #1. The sale of Metro's Action #1 CGC 6.0 is a recent example of how super-keys can attract money outside of the hobby.

Jeff, again we have to define what is beign argued here.

If it's pure $$ then Batman #1 has overtaken MC #1 in higher grades simply because of rarity. As stated earlier in lower grades MC #1 still seems to command more money (up until now).

In terms of significance, well that is a completely different discussion as in that case it's historical rather than monetary value that is being discussed.

R.

Yeah but the smiling goof ball Robin on the cover is so bad it almost diminishes the cache of the Joker's first appearance. :grin: Now I'm sure we can all agree on that. :foryou:

I actually really like the cover. Robin isn't in a corner shock pose, or tied to railroad tracks, he's on equal terms with Batman. Their smiles portray a certainty that they're on the right side of the law, and isn't it a good life to be protecting Gotham from whatever evil comes along.

To me, it's optimistic without being goofy. :foryou:

Jeff, again we have to define what is beign argued here.

If it's pure $$ then Batman #1 has overtaken MC #1 in higher grades simply because of rarity. As stated earlier in lower grades MC #1 still seems to command more money (up until now).

In terms of significance, well that is a completely different discussion as in that case it's historical rather than monetary value that is being discussed.

R.

But significance and $$ are linked. The significance of the Joker's first appearance, in my mind, is responsible for the recent absence of copies in the marketplace, and high prices paid for those that appear.

If it's pure $$ then Batman #1 has overtaken MC #1 in higher grades simply because of rarity.

Really? I disagree, MC 1 is rarer than Batman 1. I think you are getting rarity and availability confused. Availability comes and goes, and right now there are lots of MC 1's out there. 5-7 years ago, it was the opposite.

And as for my personal preference, you can put me down for an MC1 over a Bat 1 in the same grade any day of the week including Sundays. And I drink the DC Kool-Aid. :cloud9: