• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wouldn't it be cool if the forums were optimized for the iPhone?

78 posts in this topic

Could just use an RSS reader on the iphone.

(shrug)

Explain for those of us on the short bus.

http://www.whatisrss.com/

http://www.macworld.com/article/140310/2009/05/rssreaders.html

Am I crazy or is the RSS Feed option not turned on for this site? (I know UBB Threads now has an RSS option for the later versions.)

Hi George,

If you read this, could you please let me know if you ever created an app for the i-Phone?

Thanks very much! (thumbs u

Andy

I'm sorry but I get the heebie jeebies from the folks who seem to be glued to their electronic devices.

If I may quote from Giles (Buffy). whenever i see them I think "The earth is doomed."

Whatever happened to downtime? Thinktime? Self-reflection? Meditation? Creative exploration beyond being able to type 60 WPM with your thumbs? I weep. :(

I'm sorry but I get the heebie jeebies from the folks who seem to be glued to their electronic devices.

If I may quote from Giles (Buffy). whenever i see them I think "The earth is doomed."

Whatever happened to downtime? Thinktime? Self-reflection? Meditation? Creative exploration beyond being able to type 60 WPM with your thumbs? I weep. :(

There's an app for that! (thumbs u

Got a link? hm

Got a link? hm

apps for that

relaxing way to interact with koi fish in a traditional Japanese zen koi pond.

A friend of mine for 46 years has a koi pond. Some of the koi are huge (over 30 years old) and some are small. Their real life interactions are amazing. Simply feeding them is amazing. I assure you, the reality vs the electronic are not the same thang!

Five different apps have been designed to create peaceful, relaxing sounds, letting you use earphones or speakers to drown out distracting noises in your environment.

At the same friend's property (over 50 acres of unspoiled land) you don't need earphones or speakers to "drown out" distractions. The app also does not include the feel of the sun, the freshness of the air, the randomness of wildlife, the random sound of bird calls, the random sounds of insects, etc etc etc. Pale in comparison to what is ultimately a loop.

I read the rest of the links but no need to comment. The real deal so totally blows away the electronic attempt at recreation.

Why? Because the experience is not just sound. It is immersion into reality. Not immersion into artificiality.

PS

:foryou: Iggy!!! :)

Below is a shot of the real koi.

realkoi.jpg

Hi George,

If you read this, could you please let me know if you ever created an app for the i-Phone?

Thanks very much! (thumbs u

Andy

:bump:

Why? Because the experience is not just sound. It is immersion into reality. Not immersion into artificiality.

This from someone who reads comic books ???

I don't read comic books. I simply endeavor in panelological pursuits.

What do you expect when you create a "have to have it NOW instant gratification" society?

Every little widget creates dependence. You get to a point you can't imagine a time without PCs and cell phones, for example. Some people seem to treat their little electronic devices as if they are an addictive drug. :P

What do you expect when you create a "have to have it NOW instant gratification" society?

Every little widget creates dependence. You get to a point you can't imagine a time without PCs and cell phones, for example. Some people seem to treat their little electronic devices as if they are an addictive drug. :P

People probably said the same thins about automobiles back in the day.