• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Golden Age Rules !!!

58 posts in this topic

This is a few panels from Police Comics #35 1944. You will never see a story like this nowadays......its just too gruesome! Too horrible !! And too close to the reaction that people would really have if put in this position.

There are no Super beings.....just regular human beings.......with their flaws and their breaking points......and what happens when this one guy has had enough !!

Mr. Sandor is a taxidermist for the museum of history and natural science. He is an artist and is UNDERAPPRECIATED...... :insane:

manhunter-pg-1-top-panels.jpg

Sandor has worked hard for the museum for years, always striving for perfection, pushing himself to become the best.....THE BEST !!!

manhunter-pg-1-bottom-pane.jpg

Yet the greedy museum board of directors, mock and insult Sandor.....

manhunter-pg-2-top-panel.jpg

And Sandor, being the creative genius that he is......and who isn't put together like the rest of us regular folk.......snaps

manhunter-pg-2-bottom-pane.jpg

....and in his snapping.....seeks revenge on the greedy bastards who have insulted him and driven him over the edge. And what does he do? Naturally, he kidnaps one of the directors,

manhunter-page-2-bottom-pan.jpg

After a struggle with Manhunter who is temporarily overcome.....Sandor MURDERS and then stuffs the museum director (taxidermy style)....placing him in a museum exhibit !! Time for director #2 now.......but Manhunter, who has escaped gets involved again......and almost gets "stuffed" himself.

manhunter-final-yyea.jpg

In the end .....the taxidermy guy falls on a huge bowie knife after getting slugged by Manhunter.....and dies in a bloody pool.........

You just aint gonna see that nowadays....... :insane:

manhunter-kills-taxidermist.jpg

What are you still doing up??......oh yea....land of the midnight sun.....and the Aurora Borealis and all that..... :grin: :grin:

Sandor, who has stuffed and mounted the largest of mammals, got his just desserts! :applause:

That was fun.

Mind you, with today's primarily adult comic readership I think it's safe to say that more boundaries are crossed now than in the GA. Not in Spider-Man maybe, but how many GA books feature a giant demon dog bum-raping an adolescent boy (Hellblazer #11)? Or an aged pervert making love to a human effigy constructed of pork, beef and chickens (Preacher)?

I have to go wash my brain now.

Sandor, who has stuffed and mounted the largest of mammals, got his just desserts! :applause:

That was fun.

Mind you, with today's primarily adult comic readership I think it's safe to say that more boundaries are crossed now than in the GA. Not in Spider-Man maybe, but how many GA books feature a giant demon dog bum-raping an adolescent boy (Hellblazer #11)? Or an aged pervert making love to a human effigy constructed of pork, beef and chickens (Preacher)?

Yeah, sounds like some GREAT writing there for sure. Probably won a pulitzer for those lovely images. Must take a genius to come up with stories like that.

Some boundaries are better left not crossed.

Seems like an effort to shock is confused with talent nowadays, whether it is in comics or Hollywood. Not just Vertigo stuff, that is what Marvel and DC are doing all the time. Probably why I have basically quit reading new comics.

That was fun.

I totally agree blazer. The reason this kind of story is awesome is cuz the "bad guy" dies in the end. Justice is served. There is closure. I don't think it has to be in some amazing or fantastic way.....just as long as it "IS". Bad guys back then came to bad ends alot of the time. And theres an endless stream of bad guys....cuz they are not super. Nowadays the evil guy is a hero in his own right and could never be killed off cuz he represents dollars to the publisher.

Also....all the taxidermy stuff is tastefully alluded to instead of showing every step of the procedure. (thumbs u

That was fun.

Yeah, sounds like some GREAT writing there for sure. Probably won a pulitzer for those lovely images. Must take a genius to come up with stories like that.

Seems like an effort to shock is confused with talent nowadays, whether it is in comics or Hollywood. Not just Vertigo stuff, that is what Marvel and DC are doing all the time. Probably why I have basically quit reading new comics.

I just picked a couple of the most unpleasant comic moments I could think of. Didn't mean to put anyone off the highly enjoyable Preacher and Hellblazer.

As for crossing boundaries, I believe it's impossible to know where your boundaries are until you cross them, and want to go back. I'd elaborate, but I'd be going off at a tangent.

That was fun.

I totally agree blazer. The reason this kind of story is awesome is cuz the "bad guy" dies in the end. Justice is served. There is closure. I don't think it has to be in some amazing or fantastic way.....just as long as it "IS". Bad guys back then came to bad ends alot of the time. And theres an endless stream of bad guys....cuz they are not super. Nowadays the evil guy is a hero in his own right and could never be killed off cuz he represents dollars to the publisher.

Also....all the taxidermy stuff is tastefully alluded to instead of showing every step of the procedure. (thumbs u

You know I read Supes #1 (reprint) with my 6yr old stepson recently. The bad guys were common thugs, a wife beater, an arms dealer, a murderer... Not a super power to their name. Young Jack loved it (thumbs u

That was fun.

I just picked a couple of the most unpleasant comic moments I could think of. Didn't mean to put anyone off the highly enjoyable Preacher and Hellblazer.

As for crossing boundaries, I believe it's impossible to know where your boundaries are until you cross them, and want to go back. I'd elaborate, but I'd be going off at a tangent.

that NEVER happens on here... :baiting:

This was great. More bizzare than this to my memory was when D.l.C.K TRACY was after the BROW.

The BROW leaps from a window and lands on a flagpole.

The weight of his body impales him on the flagpole, and he slides down the pole to the ground.

The next day (monday) shows the police standing at the flagpole trying to decide how they want to remove the body.

They decide to pull up the flagpole to get the body off.

This was great. More bizzare than this to my memory was when D.l.C.K TRACY was after the BROW.

The weight of his body impales him on the flagpole, and he slides down the pole to the ground.

The next day (monday) shows the police standing at the flagpole trying to decide how they want to remove the body.

Wouldn't a chainsaw have been easier than pulling up an entire flagpole?

lol Pretty nasty!

Sure it would've been a lot easier to chop the body up :sick: