• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bats #234 cgc 9.6

12 posts in this topic

but $1k? It seems high... I think a 9.6 232 is the more desirable of the books... but I guess it was quite some time since two face had appeared... so perhpas that's also partly what drives the value of the book... Although first Ra's... great book, great cover!

a thousand is high....but i have found the 232 to be more common..not sure whether it is or not, but there seems to be more offered for sale in high grades. First apperance of Batman's toughest foe (his words from the animated series) should be more desirable, but a 9.6 goes about 600- 700 bucks....

232 is definetly more common. I've seen tons of 9.4/9.6 copies offered on Ebay, but very few 9.4 234's. And this is the first 9.6 I've ever seen.

Could it be that not many people focused on this issue in relation to #232? I wasn't aware of the "key" nature of this book until about a year ago. Now that collectors are becoming more aware of it's significance, I'd bet that more start showing up....

Jim

No, I think this one's been hyped in Overstreet for years now. Can't remember if it was timed to the Tommy Lee Jones Two-Face appearance in the 3rd Batman movie, or if the "First Silver Age Two-Face" got broken out at the same time as the Riddler appearance in Batman 171 and Catwoman in Lois Lane got their big run-ups.

Andrew:

Thanks for the info... to be fair, I'm not that aware of the availability of 9.6 234, it was just a gut reaction... but in the perspective of the market, and when I think about it, I have seen more 232s in high grade than 234s... but $1k still seems aggressive. But hey, if he gets it (or close to it), then I'm the insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Andrew:

Thanks for the info... to be fair, I'm not that aware of the availability of 9.6 234, it was just a gut reaction... but in the perspective of the market, and when I think about it, I have seen more 232s in high grade than 234s... but $1k still seems aggressive. But hey, if he gets it (or close to it), then I'm the insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Actually, in terms of the pricing, I agree with you totally. Paying agressively for "highest graded" bronze in general is a big mistake at this point. Just look at the GSX VS X Men 94 thread, and the fact that a 9.8 #94 has just arrived. This is the book that a few people said was "scarce" in 9.6+, and in the last year alone, since 9.6's started selling north of 5K, several more have showed up.

As far as I've seen, this is the first 234 in 9.6 that's surfaced, so 1K is actually a realistic goal for the seller. If it were my book, I would probably be asking around the same.

Overstreet designates 234 as the first modern appearance of Harvey Dent and Two-Face, but calls World's Finest #173 the first(and only) Silver Age appearance of Two-Face. In that issue, it's not Harvey, but Batman disguised as Two-Face.

Interesting that the first modern appearance is valued about 65% higher than the first and only Silver Age appearance, but I guess the Adams interior art has more to do with that than anything.

And many people, I'm sure, don't consider World's Finest #173 a legitimate Two-Face appearance.

And many people, I'm sure, don't consider World's Finest #173 a legitimate Two-Face appearance

Much the same w/ the Strange Tales book that pre-dates Avengers #4. While Strange Tales was the 'first' SA Cap, it was really the Acrobat disguised as Cap.

but I guess the Adams interior art has more to do with that than anything.

You're right on this call!

Chris