• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for opinions

538 posts in this topic

I think the best you can do is a refund plus the difference in value between 7.5 and 8.0, unless you think you can get the expected value of the 9.0 or 9.2 (85% of 9.0 value or 40% of whatever a 9.2 goes for).

Because the latter two grades were merely speculative (hence the percentage chance) I doubt you could get the full difference in value.

I'd laugh with you, but I'm the one out a grand :cry:

There's some kind of disconnect here I don't understand.

If the damage was caused by a too hot press/release paper pulls (like was described), why would books be sent on for encapsulation? Isn't an "up grade evaluation" part of the service? Once that expectation's blown, why bother?

And if the Pressing didn't cause the damage, wouldn't they be on the phone to CGC on your behalf (assuming they're a CGC marketing partner)? If for nothing else, to protect their own rep?

Just asking, since I haven't used a presser. But if they sent your book on to CGC, post-service, on your behalf, then they're acting as your agent. Shouldn't they have your back until you're a satisfied customer?

I can't answer your questions

I think the best you can do is a refund plus the difference in value between 7.5 and 8.0, unless you think you can get the expected value of the 9.0 or 9.2 (85% of 9.0 value or 40% of whatever a 9.2 goes for).

Because the latter two grades were merely speculative (hence the percentage chance) I doubt you could get the full difference in value.

I'm not looking for the most. Only what is fair.

now, I have read some more responses...if the pressing agent damaged, then it is only valued as a 8.0 + refund of service fees and shipping costs (IMO)

I might agree if I knew the pressing agent caused the damage. That's part of the problem. But the evidence in hand from the pressing agent implies he did not cause the damage. The book was forwarded after inspection and submitted to CGC as a 9.0 by the agent.

Clear as mud!

then it should have been insured for the 9.0 value, and that is that, right ?

Although outside the question of the thread, I've looked at the recent photo a few times to figure out how someone could take off a portion of the cover like that.

Isn't that right in-line around where many place their tape on the flap, so when removing the book could the tape not have been removed and it became attached to the cover?

Just wondering, as it is a gorgeous book that received some odd rough handling.

Was it sent bagged/boarded with tape, or a top-loader Mylar case?

The reason why I ask is if the book was still without that damaged after leaving the preparation service agent, then this happened at CGC and I'd want to know how. This also gives you two sets of eyes confirming ahead of time that damage was not on the book before leaving your control.

now, I have read some more responses...if the pressing agent damaged, then it is only valued as a 8.0 + refund of service fees and shipping costs (IMO)

I might agree if I knew the pressing agent caused the damage. That's part of the problem. But the evidence in hand from the pressing agent implies he did not cause the damage. The book was forwarded after inspection and submitted to CGC as a 9.0 by the agent.

Clear as mud!

Thank you for asking. You made me look (again). Originally I thought the book was listed as $1000. There were 5 books on the invoice and the total was $10,000. I chalked it up to poor math. One price is listed and an arrow extending for all books. Turns out they are valued at $2000 each. The ink and lines on the yellow copy overlap. My mistake. All books are Express (>=$1000). I've always obsessed over what value to declare. Apparently, the presser and CGC operate under a relaxed arrangement, or the value doesn't really mean that much. I'm fairly certain the presser is self insured. I can't draw conclusions. Is that that? I dunno. That's what I'm asking you?

Although outside the question of the thread, I've looked at the recent photo a few times to figure out how someone could take off a portion of the cover like that.

Isn't that right in-line around where many place their tape on the flap, so when removing the book could the tape not have been removed and it became attached to the cover?

It was sent to the presser as a slab!

I know, as I read that part. But once it was processed, it went into CGC raw, right? How?

But to trace back to where that damage happened would be my next question. If it was at CGC, and the two of you can both confirm it was not a defect before arriving, someone needs to have a discussion with CGC.

Clear as mud!

Thank you for asking. You made me look (again). Originally I thought the book was listed as $1000. There were 5 books on the invoice and the total was $10,000. I chalked it up to poor math. One price is listed and an arrow extending for all books. Turns out they are valued at $2000 each. The ink and lines on the yellow copy overlap. My mistake. All books are Express (>=$1000). I've always obsessed over what value to declare. Apparently, the presser and CGC operate under a relaxed arrangement, or the value doesn't really mean that much. I'm fairly certain the presser is self insured. I can't draw conclusions. Is that that? I dunno. That's what I'm asking you?

if the book is listed at $2K, and you (the submitter) insured it for 2 K, then 1 of the 2 have to admit liability...if it is the presser, then he only owes for the value of the book before the work was done, as he took an 8.0 and actually made it worse...so, in theory, 8.0 "price" is as high as that book ever theorectically could have achieved...

on the other hand, if the presser did his job and the book is now in the 9.0 range, and it was insured for 9.0 value, and cgc damaged, then cgc should cover 9.0/insured value...

so, the real question is, the chicken or the egg.... that info is nec to give a specific opinion

and let me further state that with book in hand, it should be obvious, I would assume (I know doh! ) whether it is pressing/heat damage or , say handling (cgc) damage (tape error, etc)...

I know, as I read that part. But once it was processed, it went into CGC raw, right? How?

But to trace back to where that damage happened would be my next question. If it was at CGC, and the two of you can both confirm it was not a defect before arriving, someone needs to have a discussion with CGC.

CGC has made it clear that the presser is their customer, not me. And, I agree. As for both of us confirming the source of damage, I can not. I never saw the book again until I received it from CGC. Beyond that, I can not respond.

Don't professional pressers take a before and after photo/scan for each job? (I have never had a book pressed so I wouldn't know.)

That would seem to be obvious for any high value books...

and let me further state that with book in hand, it should be obvious, I would assume (I know doh! ) whether it is pressing/heat damage or , say handling (cgc) damage (tape error, etc)...

So since the owner has this book in-hand, what does it look like around that damaged area?

Does it appear to be pulled paper, or rubbed off? Can you tell?

I don't know if the book has been scanned with the same scanner, but also alongside Spider-Man's left elbow there is now what appears like browning that I don't see in the 8.0 photo. But maybe I am trying to dig too deep to identify what caused the defect.

Just appears like it was rubbed hard and now there is this area that stands out.

(shrug)

Clear as mud!

if the book is listed at $2K, and you (the submitter) insured it for 2 K, then 1 of the 2 have to admit liability...if it is the presser, then he only owes for the value of the book before the work was done, as he took an 8.0 and actually made it worse...so, in theory, 8.0 "price" is as high as that book ever theorectically could have achieved...

on the other hand, if the presser did his job and the book is now in the 9.0 range, and it was insured for 9.0 value, and cgc damaged, then cgc should cover 9.0/insured value...

so, the real question is, the chicken or the egg.... that info is nec to give a specific opinion

Welcome to my world! The presser submitted the books to CGC on my behalf. I paid the CGC fees to the presser. The forms were completed by the presser. CGC billed the presser. I paid the fees months before the books were ever shipped to CGC.

Don't professional pressers take a before and after photo/scan for each job? (I have never had a book pressed so I wouldn't know.)

This one doesn't

This one doesn't

Sorry, once that book went into that person's control, and being serviced by them, they had responsibility from the time it entered their hands until coming back from CGC. Even CGC is stating the presser is the customer from their opinion (and rightly so).

The presser took money for a service, and now they need to figure out what happened. The "customer" should be making some calls Monday with CGC - not you!

I've never pressed a book in my life. I have no idea what caused the damage. It would seem that two surfaces stuck together and the ink went with the wrong one when they parted company. While that might make me the in assume, I still didn't do it!

I've never pressed a book in my life. I have no idea what caused the damage. It would seem that two surfaces stuck together and the ink went with the wrong one when they parted company. While that might make me the in assume, I still didn't do it!

That wasn't the question be asked if you did it or not. How could you? It was in a CGC case.

Take a look at the defect area and see if it looks liked pulled paper (tape tugged it away) or rubbed off.

I think that was the question since you have the book in your control now.

This one doesn't

Sorry, once that book went into that person's control, and being serviced by them, they had responsibility from the time it entered their hands until coming back from CGC. Even CGC is stating the presser is the customer from their opinion (and rightly so).

The presser took money for a service, and now they need to figure out what happened. The "customer" should be making some calls Monday with CGC - not you!

Be aware that CGC doesn't scan books either, unless you pay for it. And, then they are only scanning the final slab. It is a business decision of cost versus liability.