• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first comic-book memory

37 posts in this topic

As mentioned in another thread *ahem* - tell us your first comic-book memory! Here's mine:

It isn't even about a comic I owned or own, now, but I must have been 5 or 6 years old, over at my aunt's house, and was reading one of my cousin's Scooby-Doo comics, when he came and snatched it out of my hand. I snatched it back, and a fight ensued.

We never did get along after that, even to this day.

hm

-slym

It isn't even about a comic I owned or own, now, but I must have been 5 or 6 years old, over at my aunt's house, and was reading one of my cousin's Scooby-Doo comics, when he came and snatched it out of my hand. I snatched it back, and a fight ensued.

We never did get along after that, even to this day.

hm

-slym

Rorry about that Raggy :(

Great Thread. First entire comic I remember reading was when I was five and I read Sgt Rock # 401. It had some spooky Sgt Rock story as well as a reprint of weird war 1 too that gave me the creeps but I loved it. I remember also it was a windy early morning and the house used to howl a little bit and my dad told me the howling was from ghosts from the graveyard that our house had been built on.

That combined with visits to my cousins house looking through his Frank Miller and Neal Adams Batman comics got me started. Everytime there was a lightning storm I would dream of Batman jumping across my neighbours rooftop.

slm...you the man. See you in the traditional threads! ;)

My first comic is when I was 6 or 8 my mom bought me Ewoks 6. I posted a picture of the comic but since then...I never got in to comics till about 3 years ago.

When I was around 4 or 5, my dad picked me up from Hebrew School Sunday morning. My parent's had just returned from Price Club, and at the time they were selling bulk packs of DC comics for around $15 for like, 30 comics or so. He bought me my first pack and I opened them in the car. I couldn't read at the time, but I knew who Batman was (I adored the Adam West Batman show when I was in pre-school-first grade). I would "read" the comics, and then put them away in a drawer. When I was learning how to read, I would bring them out and practice with them.

Either Superboy #175, Amazing Spider-man #90, Detective #413, Amazing Spider-man #41(probably a reprint in a Marvel Tales, or JLA #92. I remember all of these issues vividly from when I was a kid. Not sure which I read first, but I was pretty young for all of them.

Oh, I also remember going to a friends house whose older brother had a trunk full of Silver Age comics. In particular I remember some early Green Lanterns and a JLA #56.

Either Fantastic Four 17, X-Men 1, or an undetermined issue of Fox and Crow. Those are my three earliest memories of comics. I'm sure that I read others before those, but these three are the ones I remember clearly. One of these days I'll find that elusive Fox and Crow...

Actual comic (rather than Superman on tv), it'd have to be Limited Collector's Edition C-51:

lce51_batman.gif

Of course I haven't read it since the 1st grade, but I remember it sitting on my bookshelf, all over-sized and in hardcover. I guess I was mainly looking at the pictures at the time....

I had an older brother who read Superman comics, so I have some very, very old memories of specific Superman issues, ca. 1972 or thereabouts.

The first Marvel comic I can remember looking at, had that house ad in it featuring Spider-Man, the Sub-Mariner, and Daredevil's enemy Mr. Fear. I thought Mr. Fear was probably the coolest-looking character I'd every seen.

I'd learnt how to read by about 5 or 6, and was already obsessed with the solar system and space travel by that point.

My earliest memory would be 1969. My dad brought back from the local newsagent/bookstore a copy of Destination Moon by Herge (a Tintin book). The book was the first part of a classic two-part story about Tintin, Captain Haddock and the rest of the cast attempting to become the first people on the moon.

Needless to say it was perfect timing, as it blew me away and immediately got me interested in comics. I was so keen to read part two (Explorers On The Moon) that my dad rushed down to the store to get it for me. The second part was even better, filled as it was with drama, great characterization and brilliant storytelling, instilling in me such awe and wonder that it still resonates with me even now.

A couple of months later I watched the Moon landings on T.V. In those days, science was still perceived as an agent for benign progress and the future to that six year old boy was one of idealized and limitless possibility.

At least I still have those two books. :cry:

I also remember not long after the "fight" with my cousin, getting some treasury-sized books - my brother got the Marvel Star Wars one (I wish he still had it) and I got a DC one with some Batman and Superman stories, as well as a story about a kid who turned into a green goblin-esque demon, as well as a story about a certain 30 pieces of silver.

The first comic I ever bought was actually two - I had $1.50 at the time and comics were 60¢ each on that summer day of 1983, when was 11. I went into the local drugstore and looked over the selection, and decided on one DC book and one Marvel book. The DC had a guy floating on the cover with a mystic bolt coming out of his hand (Arion #1) and the Marvel book had a big metal guy, a blue-black demon, a girl walking out like a ghost through a building (?) and a woman dressed like a witch throwing lightning bolts, all chasing after what looked like a middle-aged housewife in a green jumpsuit. This was my first encounter with what turned into a long obsession with the X-Men cover blurb "Welcome to the X-Men, Rogue (insert any other name here) - hope you survive the experience!" (Uncanny #171.) After that, I usually only had $1 to spend on comics, and they were up to 65¢ each soon after, so I didn't buy any more Arion and stuck with X-Men for 23+ years.

I will probably buy runs of the comics I have missed since I quit buying new stuff 3-1/2 years ago, some day.

Some day...

-slym

First memory wold be Turok.....circa 1965. Second was when my Aunt Elsie popped the trunk of her Chevelle and it was FULL of comics. I remember dividing them between my cousins and specifically recall FF 47 and some Metamorphos. My third memory was when my dad read me ASM 51 from that pile.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

no. actually i enjoyed that run because I think the symboites were some of the coolest characters. I still really like the original incarnation of Venom and Eddie Brock. The maximum carnage series was one of the first things I found and bought (not to hard really) when I got back into collecting. Most everyone enjoys the books they grew up with.

no. actually i enjoyed that run because I think the symboites were some of the coolest characters. I still really like the original incarnation of Venom and Eddie Brock. The maximum carnage series was one of the first things I found and bought (not to hard really) when I got back into collecting. Most everyone enjoys the books they grew up with.

I was just messin. Those were alright. I remember collecting all the little venom runs etc myself. It was right after that when the clone stuff started in spider-man that I hated. Quit comics for awhile I hated it so much.