• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your biggest "mistake" in trading up ( or so you think you are doing)

16 posts in this topic

I regret my biggest mistake was made in the early '90s when I was getting back full time into comics after a few years.. I traded for a run of AMAZING SPIDERMAN Mcfarlane's all near mint ( excluding ASM #300 893whatthe.gif which I bought later and had graded a 9.0) to a dealer for of all things HULK 180 AND 181.. that I had bought for cover price... ( the 181 might have been a 6.0.......)

893frustrated.gif

I look back on that and all I do is feel sorry.gif

then I feel 893censored-thumb.gif

But then you learn the leason and hope it never happens again..

WEBHEAD....

Don't beat yourself up over it. Are you happy with the books you received? That's all that matters....

Now, let me just say............D'OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! foreheadslap.gif

My biggest mistake involves Spider-Man as well. I bought my friend's entire Spider-Man collection back in high school, and the only book he wanted a little extra for was ASM 300, and I wouldn't give him the extra couple of bucks he wanted. Now, that ASM 300 is worth probably more than all of the other books put together.... foreheadslap.gif

i think my biggest mistake was paying $40-up for some modern cgc 9.4-9.6s when cgc first came out.i remember there was a green goblin#1 cgc 9.8 and i actually put a $100 bid on it,but got outbidded thank god and ended up getting a 9.8 for about $20 later. tongue.gif

Well, I've got one. When I sold my Catman 26 Mile High (Yellow LB Cole cover), I thought it was a 9.2 (so did the other owner) after slabbed by CGC it got a 9.6.

I sold it for around $1,200 since then it sold for well over double that amount. foreheadslap.gif

Well I dont know if its trading up, but back before the BA boom I was lucky enough to be buying BA cause I had almost all the moderns I needed and couldnt afford SA - being still in high school/ early 90s. A dealer put together a nice run of Werewolf by Nights and Amazing advenures and astonishing tales. We agreed on the price and moved on to some BA spideys 180-199ish he then produced a nice ASM #50 and asked me if I was interested for an additional 50 bucks. I was between a 9.2 and a 9.6 beautiful copy. But I in my infinite wisdom passed because it would have meant that I couldnt take all of the BA stuff. foreheadslap.gifflamed.gif still havent seen a raw copy as nice as the one dangled in front of my nose for 50 bucks back in 1992 - doubt I ever will.

A wise dealer taught me... gold for gold, silver for silver, etc. That way you are at least somewhat protected from kicking yourself for trading away solid books for what's hot that week.

Somewhere along the line I traded most of my "beat-up" Silver Age books for HG bronze and moderns......

I miss my FF 9.....9_9.gif' border=0>

I worked for store credit at a local comic shop when i was 13...it was 1993-1994 and they had an ASM 300 on the wall that I wanted so bad. I worked my way up to it ($60) and finally bought it and thought it was the greatest thing....until years later when I started collecting again and learned about grading. It's got the most jagged edge on the side and a bunch of spine wear and it's not from me...i treated that thing like a baby. I saw him at the store this past summer for the first time in almost 8 years and if his store wasn't a complete ruin I would have given him some [!@#%^&^] about it. That's what happens when you dont' have a 13 year old doing all your manual labor for half of minimum wage...you stop selling new comics while your back issue boxes provide the scenery for Magic tournaments

sign-rantpost.gif

On the flip side...if it hadn't been for the guy at the back booth in that bingo parlor con I would never know the joy of Silver Age comics. I was a little older and had New Mutants 87 which was at it's peak. This guy told me he'd do me a favor and give me G/VG copies of ASM 41 and 122 for it. I really didn't want to but he did some convincing and in the end I thank him for it. thumbsup2.gif

Joe

I traded a 1994 A-Rod SP Rookie Card and it was a die cut one that I pulled out of a pack to boot in late 1995 or early 1996 for some POS Bronze ASM that's probably like VG+. I was banking on A-Rod to be like David Nied or Nigel Wilson who's 1993 cards were worth something and by 1996 they were worth 5 cents because they were obviously not going to pan out.