• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT : Real Time Strategy Games

15 posts in this topic

On my off nights I'm usually up all night due to working nights and playing Killzone2 (which I love) is getting old.

I've been getting an itch to play a RTS to pass the time. Anyone out there with suggestions? I've been eyeing the Civilization Series. I do enjoy playing Age of Empires which I guess isn't as involved.

I have to stay clear of the WoW's and Everquest's though. I've already been through that exp with the gf. I need something I can play and turn off at any time.

I loved playing Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War when I had a PC. I DO wish they'd come up with a Mac version sometime. The Total War series was also amazing! Spent way too many hours playing that game during my down time while deployed.

Civilization is cool. I've played them all back to the original version. They are fun but they take awhile to get the hang of it. And I know what you mean with WoW, I gave it up recently because you had to be a slave to the game at upper levels and you could never just shut it off or put it on pause. But WoW was probably the best game I have ever played, and i've played quite a few.

The Final Fantasy Series was also good. They were for Playstation but I think they came out with PC versions.

Civilization is turn-based, not real-time, but it's still a ton of fun. The technology trees are a lot more complex and a far more enjoyable part of the game than in any real-time strategy game I've played.

I'd like a good RTS myself to tide me over until Starcraft 2 comes out later this year. The only RTS game I'm playing is the original Starcraft just to get me back into the Zerg groove for when the sequel hits.

Civilization is cool. I've played them all back to the original version. They are fun but they take awhile to get the hang of it. And I know what you mean with WoW, I gave it up recently because you had to be a slave to the game at upper levels and you could never just shut it off or put it on pause. But WoW was probably the best game I have ever played, and i've played quite a few.

I've been off the crack for three whole weeks now!!! I've momentarily quit until I can convince myself that I'm not suffering the negative effects of addiction due to playing that game. :pullhair: I've been out of comics for four years now with WoW addiction being the primary culprit--just started buying stuff again and posting here just a few days after my last login to WoW. doh!

The Command and Conquer series always gets good reviews but I haven't actually played them.

I am still playing Command & Conquer: Generals which came out in 2003. Great game. I haven't been able to find an RTS I like better. I have the newest Age of Empires...but it was pretty bad. I was expecting such a major improvement, and it is not much of an improvement at all from previous versions.

I gave up WOW about a month ago too. Completely epiced out from Naxx but it was killing my family. Uulduar can find somebody else to free it. I'm freeeeeeeeee.

I played the hades out of Age of Empires II and loved it.

Civilization is turn-based, not real-time, but it's still a ton of fun. The technology trees are a lot more complex and a far more enjoyable part of the game than in any real-time strategy game I've played.

I'd like a good RTS myself to tide me over until Starcraft 2 comes out later this year. The only RTS game I'm playing is the original Starcraft just to get me back into the Zerg groove for when the sequel hits.

I stand corrected, Civ is a turn based game.

Starcraft may be a few years old, but lots of fun playing both sides. Loved the seige tanks.

I've been playing Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds the past couple of days.

I also enjoy all of the Age of Empires games and Hearts of Iron.

Yea I reinstalled my SWGBG the other night. Still fun and same engine as Age of Empires.

I could do turn based if the development was involved enough.