• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Legends of the Dark Knight question

8 posts in this topic

Not being a DC-person, I don't know too much about this series. I have the first 20 issues and rather enjoyed them,especially the 'Gothic' storyline.

But no idea how the rest of the series holds up, I get the feeling that the series is considered quite weak by reading online-reviews (granted only a few issues were reviewed), but I was offered the entire series 1-170 for about 50 cents a book...

I'm just looking for a good read at a bargain price, so anybody actually read this series and can comment on it ?

Very hit-and-miss, by the nature of the anthology format. Honestly, I'd have to say 50 cents an issue is too high for the average quality of the series. You'd probably get as good a deal on eBay by buying just individual runs within the series. Some standouts include a Mignola 1-shot, a P. Craig Russell 2-parter, a couple of arcs by Moench and Gulacy, and Marshall Rogers' return to the character. I have about a third of the series in my collection, and probably own another third of the run I'd rather not have. If you like, I could post some recommended arcs later.

caveat-- I'm an old-school Batman fan and much prefer the 1970s, early 1980s version to the post-Miller psycho-Bats we've had since the death of the Jason Todd character.

Marshall Rodgers' return? What issue(s)? I have about 1/3 to 1/2 of the LODK run. Filling in the rest has been a low priority.

As Zonker said, LODK is hit or miss. 50 cents an issue for Batfans is probably a decent deal, but there's a lot of better Bat-stuff you could spend $85 dollars on.

Marshall Rodgers' return? What issue(s)?

So, here are my personal favorites out of LOTDK. I'm pretty picky on how Batman is written, so that's why so many of James Robinson's arcs make my list. Your mileage, etc.

Arc Title / LOTDK Issue # / Creators

Shaman 1-5 O'Neil & Hannigan

Prey 11-15 Moench & Gulacy

Faces 28-30 Matt Wagner

Blades 32-34 James Robinson & Tim Sale

Destiny 35-36 Bo Hampton

Duel Annual 1 O'Neil & Aparo, Quesada, Golden, others

Mask 39-40 Bryan Talbot

Hothouse 42-43 P. Craig Russell

Tao 52-53 Alan Grant & Arthur Ranson

Sanctum 54 Mike Mignola

Sleeping 76-78 Scott Hampton

Citadel 85 Robinson & Tony Salmons

I Am a Gun Annual 7 Robinson & Russ Heath

Stories 94 Michael T. Gilbert

Spook 102-104 Robinson & Paul Johnson

Siege 132-136 Archie Goodwin/James Robinson & Marshall Rogers

Terror 137-141 Moench & Gulacy

Irresistible 169-171 Peyer & Tony Harris

sign-offtopic.gif Hey Chromium, I just noticed your avatar. thumbsup2.gif That is pretty cool...is that Doctor Doom with Superman? It seems like Superman is trying to capture Doctor Doom, but I am not sure I understand what's going on... foreheadslap.gif

here's the entire page, much easier to follow than my animation smile.gif

Full Page