• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Idiot Seller...

23 posts in this topic

Go to item number 2214228850 (and if anyone can throw up a link, thank you!)....

Ungraded, murky scan, lies in description...

For some reason, this auction annoyed me, so I thought I'd just drop the seller a short note, which read....

'Book value in this condition is actually $81, and on eBay you would

usually get less than this unless the book was slabbed and graded by CGC.

'Raw' books simply don't get guide prices on eBay. Thought you might like to know.

Reply comes back...

'Sorry, but no way. I have this book. It would easily CGC a 9.0 or better.

Anyone who would sell this book for $81 is either hard up for cash, or

dosent know anything about comic books. Look at some of the Amazing

Spiderman 129's that are selling. a V/VG sold for over $125. That was funny.

Scan of it showed staining, etc. It's no skin off of my back. I got the

guide and what book's are worth.

I will keep it. You wont find many books like this around. Especially since

it is only Mylar bagged and boarded. Go to www.metropoliscomics.com see what

it is worth. CGC dosent impress me at all. Condition of the book does. I've

seen a book there get a 9.2 that Stevie Wonder could of graded as VF at

best. Minimun this book is a 9.0 without question, more like a 9.4-9.6

would be it's actual grade.

Thanks

J.M. collector, 28 years

So that really got up my nose and I responded with...

'J.M.

Sorry, but I think you are misleading people. For those folk who know very little about comics, they could be sucked in and pay way more for this book than they should....way more than it's worth.

If this book were CGC graded at 9.0 (which it is not, so it's not worth the same money), I'd pay maybe $140 absolute tops, probably closer to $120 actually. It's not a rare book and 9.0 is not a high grade on a book from this era.

Forget what you think about another book that Metropolis sold....that is irrelevant. What IS relevant is what you are passing off as truth. In your auction listing, you said that book value was $300-$350. That is simply a lie. Book value (as in Overstreet Guide 2003, not what you'd like it to sell for) says $81. And if it's worth $300-$350, why hasn't one person placed a bid at the knock-down, bargain basement price of $175?

And on your listing, you said the book was 8.5-9.0. Now in your e-mail it's suddenly improved to 9.4-9.6 or better? Is it rather like a fine wine, maturing with age? Has it self-restored itself?

I know your price is ridiculous (and I've been DEALING in comics for 15 years, through a retail outlet that is known throughout the country) so I won't bid, but I'm concerned about the more naive people out there who might get taken in.

Please, for their sake, at least tell the truth in your auction. That is an offense under eBay rules.

N.B.

Reader for 34 years

Collector for 32 years

Dealer for 15 years

Contributor to Comicbook Marketplace for 3 years

Now, does anyone think I'm out of order here? It just winds me up that people like this are out to sucker innocent bidders. All you need is some kid with his Christmas money in his back pocket, itching to get a Wolverine 'classic' and this guys laughing all the way to the bank.

What do you reckon? I am just cranky today? crazy.gif

Auction

Really shouldn't be surprised. Happens everyday on eBay and people do bid at these inflated prices. But then again.....if I was going to lay down $175 for a comic, I would make sure I did my homework. The buyer has some responsibility as well. If they don't do the homework or just have the cash to blow, then they get what they deserve.......893frustrated.gif

Not defending the seller at all. His description is [!@#%^&^] and misleading but I've come to expect that with 75% of eBay transactions....

Jim

What "book" are you using to determine value? NM Overstreet for Hulk 182 is only $120.

--------------------

Question from: rob_react

Title of item: Incredible Hulk 182 Very Fine +

Seller: faithlei

Starts: Dec-28-03 12:23:29 PST

Ends: Jan-02-04 12:23:29 PST

Price: Starts at $175.00

To view the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2214228850

Yeah, I know the bidder would have to shoulder a lot of the blame, but it just pisses me off that thieves like this even try it on.

Yes, they're out there every day, so maybe I AM just cranky today. I think it was his authoritative voice proclaiming that 'book value is $300-$350' that got to me. Which book is that, you twerp?

Better get back on the medication...

To be honest......I probably would have told you to go [!@#%^&^] yourself. Yes, the seller is overpricing.....but I don't think the

COMIC POLICE

need to protect everyone from every auction.

Not only have you emailed the seller.....but now his auction is linked to the forum. How would you feel if you were the seller?

There are bigger fish to fry......and you can't go dragging every seller through the mud.

But then again..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm not trying to defend the seller.....nor am I attempting to criticize your actions.

I just think this kind of thing is getting a little out of control around here.

If a buyer doesn't know the "book value" of a HULK 182......then maybe they shouldn't be bidding on one. tongue.gif

I know it does seem like that sometimes, but if you consider the amount of books that go up on eBay daily, we don't really target that many sellers. Five per day from 3000 listed items?

And I'm not arguing that any buyer would be innocent...they should have done their homework, sure. But sometimes people need saving from themselves. wink.gif

My concept of the Commandos would be discussion and analyse of suspect auctions, with the discussions limited to these boards. I've done blowups of scans of books for comparison, as an interesting way to clarify suspicions. If someone comes on the board and asks specifically about a particular auction they are concerned about, I have no problems giving my non-expert opinion.

I would NOT promote direct interference with an auction, no digital monkey-wrenching. I would not advise e-mailing bidders on crappy auctions, but I don't see anything wrong with e-mailing a seller with my opinion. It would be his choice to respond or just blow me off. With the auction in question here, I don't think Flaming did anything wrong. I applaud him.

Even in the case of Doc Keys, I like to think that justice will catch up with him eventually without my personal interference. But I do believe that for those who are comitting outright fraud, like him, the fact that he knows he is being watched, offers some satisfaction. Naive, yes perhaps.

But ultimately, it's up to the individual, and I don't expect everyone to agree on what their personal course of action should be. This is just mine.

his reply:

Dont like the price dont bid. I will keep the book. No problem for me. Got o

www.metropoliscomics.com see what the book sells for at a 9.0 - 9.4

condition. I give a consersative grading on E-Bay on the condition. Saves

headaches. This book is a easy 9.2 rating.

Again he ups the grade from 8.5 to 9.0-9.4 in order to justify his pricing. What a riot.