• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHEW, from Image Comics
1 1

6,765 posts in this topic

i swear, my main LCS must be totally out of the loop for "hot" non-super hero titles. first, they had a fear agent 1 on the rack when issue #3 was already out and there was a lot of ebay buzz about #1, then they had Chew #2 still on the rack well after it was seemingly sold out everywhere, then they still had some of the WD Chew preview issues on the rack after Chew #1 and #2 had already come out and there had gotten a lot of buzz, they still have a copy of Stuff of Legends left.

as it is they only ordered a few copies of chew #3 for the rack and then stuck them at the top of the rack with a shelf over them so that you have to be an acrobat or cat burglar to get a copy out without bending the spine (every copy in the stack but mine was a bit bent at the spine)

and they really under order too. i think they only ordered a couple of copies of creepy 1 and those were sold instantly. they always run out of goon by thursday. yet they will have 20 leftover copies of whatever big marvel or DC came out.

it carries over to back issues too. he'll charge full guide for a VG 12 cent avengers or spiderman or whatever, but when he gets mid-50s low grade WDCS barks book and it's like an automatic $2-$3 even though a lot of those are $15-$20 in OPG and do a lot better than $2 on ebay or here.

Edited by the blob

my LCS has almost as many on the rack as yesterday. i wonder if nobody was interested or whether they were turned off by every copy having been bent in half?

i don't understand the place sometimes. they give you (free) a bag and board for every book. why let half the material on the racks get destroyed by A-hole customers who go out to destroy the comics? i understand there's a lot of labor involved in bagging and boarding all the new books on the racks (and it takes up space), but they have like 3 or 4 guys working there. i guess they don't feel like they lose enough money to a***n**l retentive customers' lost purchases to make it worthwhile. i don't buy many moderns off the rack, but I'd say 25-50% of the time I might be inclined to, when they're down to the last few copies of some title, i decide not to because they're too dinged. that has been the case for some walking deads, goons and a few others. i guess i might be rare, but if i'm paying $3 for a new book, which could be 3 vintage books out of a dollar box or 6 moderns out of the 50 cent box or a half decent lower grade SA book (or decent BA book), I want it to be sharp!

Alot of book shops are "marketing" on the bag and boards. Selling them for .25 cents each. Which is BS if you ask me.

My lcs does this and I tell him no thanks every time. If he would offer Mylar with full backs I would do it.

Alot of book shops are "marketing" on the bag and boards. Selling them for .25 cents each. Which is BS if you ask me.

yes, but the LCS i'm complaining about gives them away free for every book i buy. it's just that so many books get trashed on the rack i don't buy them. if they pre-bagged/boarded they'd have a lot less damaged unreturnable and unsellable stuff, but i guess they don't want to invest the time and the 6-7 cents (cost) in bagging and boarding. alas, many customers don't care about the dings and probably don't have any use for the boards. they read the comics on the subway or wherever and trash them. i know my borther found them to be annoying when his old LCS would bag and board them for him. but i'm selective when i pay $2.99 for something.

:doh:

I forgot #3 was out today and I missed it.

Shoot me a PM and you can have my copy...

(thumbs u

Thanks man, but I found a copy. Appreciate the offer, but maybe you can find another fan who doesn't have #3. :applause:

Being reprinted again

First three issues of CHEW all sold out, reprinted in time for fourth!

Since CHEW’s release, John Layman and Rob Guillory’s ongoing crime series with a disgustingly delicious twist has faced a series of distribution-level sellouts despite extremely healthy reprints. Next month, Issues One, Two and Three will each be reprinted in time for Issue Four's release, with Issue One reprinted for a fourth (and final!) printing, a ‘Last Bite’ edition for people who are still hungry for a copy of one of the most talked about debuts of the summer.

“I continued to be stunned and staggered by response to this book, and I don't understand it one bit.,” Layman said. “CHEW is about a cannibal cop, set post bird flu alternative reality. Nobody should want to read it, and, yet, it continues to sell out. I’m told we’re now three times as successful as THE WALKING DEAD’s initial launch and, even better, the fans and retailers I’ve heard from are excited for more. So I'm not even going to try to understand it, I'm just going to be grateful to all the readers and retailers and reviewers who have responded so, so, so positively. Thanks!"

CHEW's star, Detective Tony Chu, is a cop with a secret. As a Cibopath, Detective Chu gets a psychic impression from whatever he eats. While it means he's a hell of a Detective if he can stomach the evidence, once his secret gets out the government makes plans for him, whether he likes it or not. CHEW blends horror, mystery and the strangest ability of them all in an ongoing series of horrific crimes solved in the most horrific way possible. With the sell outs continuing on a regular basis, Image will be once again increasing each printing’s quantities in hopes of keeping them available. The fourth printing of issue one will mark the final time the comic will be reprinted in a special ‘Last Bite’ edition.

CHEW #1-4, all 32-page full color comic books for $2.99, will be available in-stores on September 2nd, 2009.