• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHEW, from Image Comics
1 1

6,765 posts in this topic

I need advice. Would you send in copies of Chew #1 if you weren't 100% sure they'd come back as 9.8s? I've got two copies I'll be selling shortly, but my grading skills aren't always perfect, and the differences between a 9.6 and a 9.8 are so minute. Or would a 9.6 Chew #1 sell better than a raw copy?

I know they can prescreen and not grade them if they don't get a 9.8, but that costs money, and I don't want to "waste" the money I'd be getting if I sold my books raw in the first place.

Thoughts?

Raw will get you $60-$100 depending on your luck but most likely $70. A 9.6 will get you $90-100 and a 9.8 is $150+ with some $200+.

For me I always prescreen.

I need advice. Would you send in copies of Chew #1 if you weren't 100% sure they'd come back as 9.8s? I've got two copies I'll be selling shortly, but my grading skills aren't always perfect, and the differences between a 9.6 and a 9.8 are so minute. Or would a 9.6 Chew #1 sell better than a raw copy?

I know they can prescreen and not grade them if they don't get a 9.8, but that costs money, and I don't want to "waste" the money I'd be getting if I sold my books raw in the first place.

Thoughts?

If the only issue with pre-screen was cost, I'd pre-screen every single book I sent to CGC. At $3/book for the ones that fail the pre-screen, it's a bargain compared to paying the slabbing cost for a book that's coming back lower than you expected to be.

Alas, the real issue with a pre-screen is that it requires a 50 book submission, which is a bit out of reach for most non-dealers who send books to CGC.

Anyway ... much like Walking Dead #1, I wouldn't hesitate to slab 9.6 & above copies of Chew #1 - you never know, you might get lucky and have it come back a 9.8.

Thoughts?

If the only issue with pre-screen was cost, I'd pre-screen every single book I sent to CGC. At $3/book for the ones that fail the pre-screen, it's a bargain compared to paying the slabbing cost for a book that's coming back lower than you expected to be.

Alas, the real issue with a pre-screen is that it requires a 50 book submission, which is a bit out of reach for most non-dealers who send books to CGC.

Anyway ... much like Walking Dead #1, I wouldn't hesitate to slab 9.6 & above copies of Chew #1 - you never know, you might get lucky and have it come back a 9.8.

^^ Well said Michael

+1 The risk is worth the reward if it truly is 9.6-9.8

Still? In what time period?

Thoughts?

Whoa, I was totally off on my idea of prescreening. I thought the cost was more but the total needed to get it was less. doh!

8am til 5pm Monday to Friday.

:applause: Funny guy

Since the maximum submission per invoice is 30 and 50 is needed for prescreen then how much of a delay is allowed? I submit quite a few prescreens so I submit anywhere from 10-30 in one package.

:applause: Funny guy

Since the maximum submission per invoice is 30 and 50 is needed for prescreen then how much of a delay is allowed? I submit quite a few prescreens so I submit anywhere from 10-30 in one package.

I don't know whether there's a hard & fast rule in regards to delays - last pre-screen we did was for 60 books on two invoices that were sent to CGC at the same time. We simply stated on both invoices to do a 9.8 pre-screen for all books.