• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHEW, from Image Comics
1 1

6,765 posts in this topic

I just received a very nice email from April (Rob Guillory's wife). She confirmed that the Chew television show continues to be developed by Showtime. The rumors suggesting that the show was "shelved" are false. I hope that anyone who made comments to that effect on this message board or elsewhere will refrain from making such statements and correct their false representations.

If by still being developed by Showtime she means the possible -script they bought is sitting on a shelf at this time (because it sure as hell isn't in any sort of pre-production stages or casting stages) and we may see a show at the earliest in 2014 then you are correct.

:gossip: I have seen what Showtime has in the works for their 2013-2014 lineup including 2 new shows and Chew isn't part of that lineup.

Obviously Rob's wife hopes that Showtime develops the show because of the money they would see from it and she is going to tell some random stranger sending emails that it is being made. I mean do you think she is going to tell you some insider information that you can't just Google? You are being fed the same line as what came out last March when people were hoping this would possibly go into production and be on this years lineup.

Anyway George I understand you really, really want this show to happen but the next step is to go into pre-production and possibly casting and Showtime isn't doing either. Also refrain from making such statements and correct their false representations? Get that lawyer talk out of here. Chew is as close to going into pre-production as Locke & Key is, oh wait...........

How dare you question April!! April is a saint!!! (tsk)

Actually, I don't really want to address where the Chew development is at this stage. I think that we all can agree that we want to see the show and that we'd prefer to see it sooner rather than later. I'd like to address a couple of points: the discussion of an animated show and the discussion of whether the show should follow the plot of the comic.

1) Animated vs. live action

Here, I am inclined to see a live action show. I am particularly interested in seeing Ken Leung, Layman's first choice, take on the roll of Tony Chu. I agree with the argument that people will take the show more seriously with actors (as compared to an animated series). Either way, if we get the show, it'll be awesome!

2) Plot of the book

I'm a huge Chew fan. Don't get me wrong. However, I like the idea of the show deviating from the comic, even substantially. If I'm interested in Layman's interpretation, I have the comic already. I am really happy to jump into something new. Also, I think that the concept of food related powers and some of the nutty investigations that Tony conducts would be more interesting if they were developed more fully. I think that an episodic TV show could do that well. Relative to a series with a 50 issue cap, a TV series with no set end date could spend more time on one shot episodes. Ideally, I'd like to see Chew plotted out similarly to the X-files. The X-files had an overarching mythology and plot that it would follow, but it mixed in a ton of one shots. In particular, I think that both the Colby/Chu and Savoy/Caesar partnerships are capable of carrying shows without a bigger "purpose."

Thoughts?

I am disgusted by the negative comments about Rob Guillory's wife April. You should remove the comments and apologize for making them. The show is in development. Mean spirited comments about the artist's wife do not belong in a fan forum. I hope that a moderator will remove them and again ask that you refrain from making false and misleading statements about this series and its forthcoming television show.

In response to the substantive comments about the show, my understanding is that it was purchased with the intent of casting as a live action series. I concur with your ideas regarding the show's format, but hope that Layman has a voice regarding the direction of the show. He is very talented and his involvement will insure the integrity of the content. I hope that we see the first episode by 2013, but as long as it is made with care I am happy. The fan base for this series is huge and there is little question in my mind that the series will be a success.

The implication that she would lie to someone about the status of the television show, or alternatively that she has no idea what is going on with the project. Also, the idea that she hopes to cash in on the money from the tv show and would say anything to support the belief that the project was proceeding accordingly. The post depicts her as a clueless and/or greedy housewife hoping to cash in on the sucess of her husband's work.

Couldn't it be a case of semantics? Shelved vs in production. Depending on who is using the term it could be synonymous. We are all BIG fans of April here so I'm sure no disrespect or negativity intended. I'm sure there are some here that may drive her crazy. lol

Couldn't it be a case of semantics? Shelved vs in production. Depending on who is using the term it could be synonymous. We are all BIG fans of April here so I'm sure no disrespect or negativity intended. I'm sure there are some here that may drive her crazy. lol

I'm with Branget on this one. If there was any confusion, I was going for the whole "Dorothy Mantooth is a saint" Anchorman goof there.

Also, much love to April. Always awesome.

I have great sympathy for all the pro's dealers, artists, writers, etc. for what they have to go through with customers and fans. I stopped selling comics before I turned 18 when Capital City went under and only recently started reading comics again for stress relief.

I don't recognize you with the new avatar.

I have great sympathy for all the pro's dealers, artists, writers, etc. for what they have to go through with customers and fans. I stopped selling comics before I turned 18 when Capital City went under and only recently started reading comics again for stress relief.

I don't know if I'm sympathetic at all. There are challenges in all walks of life.

I should clarify my comment. Doing what you love for a living is a dream come true. I was just observing the wide range of personalities among comic fans. I imagine that adults who dress in costumes and go to conventions can be hard to handle at times. At the same point in time, comics inspire young and old alike and are an amazing forum to spur creativity and personal development. I think it would be a pretty great job.

Agreed.

I love my 'job'. I always find it funny people's reactions when I tell them.

I find it hard to even approach most creators so I can't relate to those fans that seem to be stalking.

I am disgusted by the negative comments about Rob Guillory's wife April. You should remove the comments and apologize for making them. The show is in development. Mean spirited comments about the artist's wife do not belong in a fan forum. I hope that a moderator will remove them and again ask that you refrain from making false and misleading statements about this series and its forthcoming television show.

In response to the substantive comments about the show, my understanding is that it was purchased with the intent of casting as a live action series. I concur with your ideas regarding the show's format, but hope that Layman has a voice regarding the direction of the show. He is very talented and his involvement will insure the integrity of the content. I hope that we see the first episode by 2013, but as long as it is made with care I am happy. The fan base for this series is huge and there is little question in my mind that the series will be a success.

Again, do not tell me what to do. I haven't said anything mean spirited buddy and clearly stated that I like April. Greedy housewife, now you are the one putting words into others mouths. If you don't think April wishes success for her husband which in turn means nice gains for them then you are crazy. You have received one response via email and again you know April and Rob now like they are family? Having had the chance to meet Rob and speak with him at a Con last year I can tell you quite clearly he is hoping this show hits it big so that he can reap the rewards from it.

Really you crack me up. I obviously have no idea what is going on, the folks I work with who are a part of SNI have no idea what they are doing, but you know everything. You know the lawyer in you wants to drop the libel word, please quote what I have posted and point out where I have lied about the current state of Chew at Showtime and post some of your facts that dispute what I have stated.

There isn't a single mod on this site that will touch the facts that I have listed, I am not quite sure why you can't grasp or understand what I have stated but I don't care to debate anything with you and congrats for being the first person to get a spot on my ignore list. Not even Justin could earn a spot.

How about that comic we call Chew? I don't know about you all, but I sure like it a lot. Who wants to talk about Chew?

You are exactly right. I am just dumbfounded that this George guy joins the boards and asks for information about the Chew show. I proceed to state exactly what is going on and that the show is currently not slated to go into pre-production anytime soon and the lawyer in him wants to start ordering me to cease and desist answering his question. :facepalm:

Shortstack that is an amazing piece of OA you posted. Did you get that worked on then at multiple cons? If so how long did it take you to get that sweet mash-up completed?

In reference to the TV show, a number of people commented that the show may be animated. Is there any basis for this other than hope and/or speculation? All of the inital press releases I read indicated that the show was slated as a live action, thirty minute comedy.

Also, would someone kindly post photos of the Chew Ashcan and the rare sketchbooks (not Larry's) that were recently discussed so I can see what they look like. Does anyone have any idea what they may sell for or when the last time one was sold Also, can anyone give me some idea of what these sell for and if they are available anywhere currently. Thanks!

How about that comic we call Chew? I don't know about you all, but I sure like it a lot. Who wants to talk about Chew?

Why don't you just go back to your shoe shopping, you left coast namby-pamby?

Why don't you just go back to your shoe shopping, you left coast namby-pamby?

These shoes suck. These shoes rule! I love you even though you hate me.