• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Spotlight #32 "New HG Hot Bronze to BUY"

35 posts in this topic

o.k., fine, nobody should pay more than $500 for a raw 9.4 or 9.6. i will let them go for $400 a pop if you buy more than one.

but seriously, my kid (31 year old) brother described my basement as a "silence of the lambs" basement. my wife won't even go down there, so I have to do all the laundry. it is in need of some serious help. there are some rooms down there I'm scared to go into. (like a non-functioning bathroom with one of those chain pull toilet tanks and toilet paper still on the roll from like 1950...it's frigging creepy down there).

but seriously, my kid (31 year old) brother described my basement as a "silence of the lambs" basement. my wife won't even go down there, so I have to do all the laundry. it is in need of some serious help. there are some rooms down there I'm scared to go into. (like a non-functioning bathroom with one of those chain pull toilet tanks and toilet paper still on the roll from like 1950...it's frigging creepy down there).

We used to own a very old home (it came with house-sized horse stable in back) and in addition to the creepiest, most spider-infested basement in the history of mankind, there were also secret rooms, alcoves and other storage areas that were permanently locked and we had no key.

Finally, a few of us jimmied the lock on one door and found some extremely old furniture in there, of some decidedly weird design, like with gargoyle claws, mirrored backs on chairs and couches/benches (or whatever they were called), old phonographs, etc. It was like walking through a time machine...

And yes, that's the house that also had boxes of old GA comics, and the one that the original owner's son gave my Dad a sob story about his dying/dead father, and then proceeded to empty the house of everything we bought with it. I guess I have him to thank for my high ethical standards.

the people who owned my house pretty much cleared out anything of any sort of interest and prior owners had removed/ripped out a lot of the original victorian charm (7 out of the 8 or so stained glass windows are gone, the gorgeous carved double entry door is gone and replaced with a single door and those horrible glass blocks (half of the original door set is in the garage however)... the oak fireplace mantle is gone (but the tile portion of the fireplace is still there thankfully) and another fireplace was ripped out entirely. not to mention, based on my neighbors' homes. some of the rooms probably had carved mahogony panels that were removed.

basically, it would probably cost me $100K+ to replace those details, so that ain't gonnah happen.

I guess I shouldn't expect too much in my neck of the woods for under $900K, though a box of GA goodness would have been nice.

Remember, this was in the late-70's I believe, so it would be equivalent to finding a few boxes of mid-grade Bronze now.

well, it would depend on the books, but that stuff was worth a lot more (inflation adjusted) than today's mid-grade bronze unless you're talking about mid-grade copies of ASM 129, Hulk 181, etc. GA superhero was definitely, by and large, out of our price range when my dad took us to a con in 1978 or 77 and we walked away with a big stack of VGish silver age like ASM Annual #1, ASM #10, etc. etc.

an old timer would probably have a better idea (or someone with a guide from 1979) of what your avergae VG or Fine copy of Superman or Batman from 1944 was worth back then, or by GA do you mean stuff from the mid-50's? Yeah, the funny animal stuff (Barks aside) was worthless then and now.

No, it was wartime issues, and I remember Human Torch and Sub-Mariner books at the top of one box when the son dragged them out into the light. Probably some very interesting books in those boxes.

And my analogy of the GA vs. BA eras was NOT one of value, but of timing. When we bought the house, those books would have been about 35 years old, so buying a house today and achieving the same age gap would result in boxes of comics from the mid-70's.

We used to own a very old home (it came with house-sized horse stable in back) and in addition to the creepiest, most spider-infested basement in the history of mankind, there were also secret rooms, alcoves and other storage areas that were permanently locked and we had no key.

Finally, a few of us jimmied the lock on one door and found some extremely old furniture in there, of some decidedly weird design, like with gargoyle claws, mirrored backs on chairs and couches/benches (or whatever they were called), old phonographs, etc. It was like walking through a time machine...

When you discovered this furniture, was there also a stick of butter with it? :grin:

About $100 bucks if you are lucky.

Sold my last copy for $80. Guess I wasn't lucky.

Lucky now? :baiting:

Yep, sure am.

doh! I paided 15000 for mine :frustrated:!!! Yeah, with SHINNY PENNIES (thumbs u .