• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee at Pittsburgh Comicon

31 posts in this topic

wow if not for Stan, that guest list is worse than mid ohio and that's saying a lot.

I think that is my main reason for going.

I never seen the dude and he always does more shows out west

that and the fact that he might not be around much longer.

:whistle:

As good an opportunity to meet Stan as there is... since Mr. Dixon keep "forgetting" to invite me when he goes down to Stan's office :o .

Aside from the Stan the only other guest worth making the journey for was John Totleben, but it looks like he's been removed from the guest list :mad::censored::mad:

WHO'S GONNA SIGN MY MIRACLEMAN'S NOW!!

(shrug)

Well Comicon Crazies,

This weeks news can be encapsulated in a quote from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome,

“Two Men Enter, One Man Leaves” (Wow is that ever a dated reference!!)

Anyway,

We have one cancellation to announce. Herb Trimpe won’t be able to make it due to a change in his schedule.

But to replace Mr. Trimpe we have not one but two great comics creators,

• Mike McKone current artist of Amazing Spider-man and cover artist to Deadpool:Suicide Kings and the Punisher as well as former artist of The Fantastic Four and Teen Titans will be making his first appearance in Pittsburgh;

• and we also just added New Mutants co-creator and long time comic artist and inker, Bob McLeod.

Also added to the guest list this week are the group of creators dubbed Angry Drunk Graphics Indy Island. ADG Indy Island includes such acclaimed indy creators as: Doug Pasziewicz (Arsenic Lullabies), Steve Vincent (Spaztic Colan), Erik Hodson (World of the Zombies) and more!!

For a full guest list visit: www.pittsburghcomicon.com/guest.html

Our 2009 Program book covers have both been added to our Charity Auction Page this week. The Front Cover is an incredible recreation of the cover to Stan Lee's Superhero Women - Painted by Mike Okamoto The Back Cover is a stunning Jean Grey-Phoenix by Jamie Fay. You can see Jamie's pencil art on the charity auction page now, but when you see this in full color it will blow your mind.

For a preview of some of our auction items visit: www.pittsburghcomcion.com/events.html

Lastly, Thanks to all the artists that have come forward with Kidz Day Promotions for Sunday of the show. Our full Sunday Kidz Day summary includes:

• Free admission to Kids 12 and under;

• Kids Events including Duck Drawing with Patrick Block, A Kids Martial Arts panel with the Last Dragon’s Taimak and Star Wars Kidz Crafts courtesy of S.W.A.P.;

• Plus giveaways from Gary Reed, Sean Forney, Heather Kreiter, Mark Mariano, Tony Meillo, Andrew Harmon, Josh Warner and Kelli Stevens Kane.

Although time has run out to get any more promotions into the program book, I still encourage artists to participate and help to bring new readers into the fold. For our current participants and for artists that decide to provide a promotion between now and the show, I will be providing Kidz Day participant signs to post at your Booth or Table to help the kids find you in the convention hall.

I'll talk to you again next week with more Comicon News and I hope to see you all in a little over three weeks.

Patrick A. Thomas

Marketing Director – Pittsburgh Comicon

Pittsburgh Comicon

September 11-13, 2009

Monroeville Convention Center

www.pittsburghcomicon.com

1002 Graham Ave.

Windber, PA 15963

814-467-4116

pcomicon@floodcity.net

Visit http://www.pittsburghcomicon.com for more!

Hello Comiconiacs,

I know I promised I still had some big news in me yet and here it is……..!

Two important pieces of Stan Lee News,

1. Starting on E-Bay today are 6 V.I.P. Stan Lee Meet and Greet Passes.

( http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=pittsburgh+comicon+stan+lee&_sacat=See-All-Categories )

Stan graciously agreed to do a limited meet-and-greet with a few select fans at the Pittsburgh Comicon! The Meet and Greet will take place 45 minutes before the show officially opens for the day on Saturday in the Comicon V.I.P. Green Room. The passes are for one person only and will allow the recipient, One on One time with Stan “The Man”, you’ll be able to get your picture taken with Stan and you will be able to get two items autographed. The best part is all the money raised by these 6 Ebay Auctions with go to the HERO INITIATIVE. So get online and get bidding!!!!!

2. I didn’t know if I could talk about this one before or not, but seeing as I came across an article online yesterday I guess I can, Stan Lee will be receiving the Key To The City on Saturday at 10:00. We couldn’t be more proud to have Stan as a guest in our fair city and apparently neither could the mayor. The mayor will be coming to the convention hall to give Stan this honor. For a detailed account of the Key to The City and Stan’s reaction you can read the article found here, www.yourmonroeville.com/timesexpress/article/stan-lee-excited-about-receiving-key-marvel-disney-merger

Ok on to other convention news, just a few quick items:

I recently announced that Brian Pulido would be appearing and he would be previewing his movie, The Graves, but in addition to that he will also bringing some LADY DEATH EXCLUSIVES TO THE COMICON. Brian will be selling Lady Death:Secrets #1:Cemetery Edition and a Limited Edition Lady Death Print; Both will be limited to approx. 100 numbered copies and signed by the Master of the Macabre himself. For a sneak peek at Brian's special editions visit: http://www.pittsburghcomicon.com/promotions.html'>http://www.pittsburghcomicon.com/promotions.html

Our buddy Todd from New Dimension Comics, (who will be debuting a new Golden Age Collection at the show by the way) will be having drawings at his booth (D063-067) for movie passes for two upcoming blockbusters, WHITEOUT and SURROGATES.

Lastly I have one piece of detail-y stuff that will hopefully make things easier for entrance to the convention. This is a message to ALL ARTISTS, VENDORS and ADVANCED/ON-LINE TICKET HOLDERS if you are any of those listed, Please Enter through the V.I.P. Entrance at the convention hall (The South Hall Entrance). It should have sufficient signage, but it will be the entrance closest to the former Radisson and Expomart.

OK kids, that is all I have right now time is growing short so I don’t know if you will hear from me again before the show, if not I look forward to seeing you ALL at Pittsburgh Comicon 2009!

Patrick A. Thomas

Marketing Director - Pittsburgh Comicon

Pittsburgh Comicon

September 11, 12, 13, 2009

The NEW Monroeville Convention Center

Contact

1002 Graham Ave.

Windber, PA 15963

814-467-4116

pcomicon@floodcity.net

www.pittsburghcomicon.com

Visit http://www.pittsburghcomicon.com for more!

Is this Convention now completely divested from its former promoter?

The convicted murderer remains in jail awaiting his re-trial, so he certainly is not running the show. What involvement his current wife has, I do not know.

I went to the con on Saturday. The new convention center is pretty nice, in particular, the lighting was quite bright, in part because the floors being quite shiny. The layout was strange, with what seemed like more than half the floor space devoted to artists and indie publishers. The aisles were quite spacious in the artist alleys, but seemed a little cramped in the dealer areas. Special guests, including Stan, were in a separate hall.

I didn't check in the guest hall too often, but it seemed like there was quite a long line for Stan. Aside from that though, attendance seemed kinda sparse. I found I did not usually need fight through people to look in boxes, though I confess I was not really looking to buy much. Similarly, most artists did not seem to have too many people waiting for sketches or signatures - I think Scott McDaniel was the only artist to have much of a line. It did provide me the opportunity to chat with Greg Horn (one of my faves) about his upcoming work, which I think he'll start showing in Baltimore - am looking forward to seeing his work.

I did get Richard Zajac to do a sketch of Scarlett for me.

Zajac.jpg

I also acquired this McDaniel sketch.

McDaniel.jpg