• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More fleecing of the collector

13 posts in this topic

I was on PCE's web site for the first time in a long time....and i gotta ask "is this guy for real ?!" - a DD 158 9.4 for $700 ?! - Batman 171 9.4 for $ 10,000 ?! - a B&B 63 9.4 for $1200 ? - I mean, he's got some great stuff (batman 171 9.4 among them) , but some of these prices are INSANE ! - who's going to pay that ?! -

THIS IS GREED IN THE SIMPLEST FORM. We all want to see the books that we pay good money for go up in value and substain that value. But this type of selling with these over inflated prices for common Bronze books is bad for the hobby.

Any one else have an opinion ?? like i need to ask !

I pointed out that price on the Batman book on a diff thread. I don't even collect that title all that much and even I know that's not even remotely sane. Most of his books are extremely over-priced. Then when they don't sell he comes over to eBay with a couple, places high reserves on them, and then doesn't sell them there either. I think I've seen him auction that ASM 59 at least 5 times at this point..

Brian

To be fair I bought two books from PCE on ebay a while ago and although I thought they could definitely improve their scans, and their shipping charge was too high (even for the U.K. - 2 CGC items @ $39!) they were by no means the worst I've dealt with.

My strongest memory of them, however, was at San Diego in 2002 when their prices were causing a few ripples of disbelief, to say the least. I can remember a Hulk 181 in CGC 9.2 priced at $1900, an Adventure 247 in CGC 9.2 for 8x OS, and other daft prices. Their booth (which would have set them back $1300) was needless to say untroubled by customers, but they didn't seem too bothered, or too friendly either.

For the record I sold a Batman 171 in CGC 9.2 with white pages on ebay six months ago for $737.

For the record I sold a Batman 171 in CGC 9.2 with white pages on ebay six months ago for $737.

You got robbed man, it should have been worth at least $7500-$8000 dollars according to PCE foreheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I thought my local comic shop was bad, I was looking through a box of Marvels and came across two copies of daredevil #181. Both were raw and in VF condition, and the owner wanted $75 each for them............I couldn't take it so I showed the books to him and let him know that last month I picked up a CGC 9.6 on Ebay for $21 bucks 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'd say that PCE isn't fleecing anyone . I mean, they can ask any dang price they want. As long as the product is as described, and they don't mind watching it sit there till hell freezes over, then no problem-o IMHO. Same thing with sellers on the Bay....as far as I am concerned, as long as the book is accurately described, heck, they can ask anything they want.

Nobody forces an individual to buy a particular book. At the end of the day, a seller can ask for any price he wishes. If the buyer is so desperate for that book, then the chances are that the seller will sell at that price, or close to.

Anyway as far as I am concerned... " A fool and his money "

makepoint.gif

Nobody forces an individual to buy a particular book. At the end of the day, a seller can ask for any price he wishes.

Sure, and if he wants to post that price in a public-viewable area, then we're free to laugh all we want.