• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay, Now I'm Officially Scared

58 posts in this topic

JC,

I just called your father and set him straight. Forgot that overpriced Silver junk. I told him the big profit's in Moderns. I tod him wise money was on today's variant cover issues. He mumbled something about Spider-Girl or such and said he was sinking his 401k into the latest Spidies.

Tell dad to buy the Avengers 4 in 9.4 (a pretty good book to have long term) but to pay as much less than 20K as he can, and sit on it.

of course we know it silly to pounce into action with every media related hype story like this on on comics, but, we here inside comice surely cant argue with teh logic of buying HG keys fpr th elong term??? Its not like Dad was screaming to buy COMICS COMICS COMICS!!! indiscriminately.

also, funny that comics as investments should strike dad as a good idea when it as his own son who was promoting that same idea in his "former self" before he became "just a poor collector with no idea of teh value of his goods"

Anyone seen these programs in question? I think he mentioned Suze Orman and some local magazine and newspaper articles, but I was a bit hesitant to talk about it after I tossed cold water on his "sure-fire investment news".

I have Pay TV and a channel called IFC has comic book shows

on weekly and for the most part have interviews with the artists and

writers and how the hobby has progressed. Not that much financial

talk on these shows although the shows are still very entertaining

and the odd book is discussed about their current values.

Right after the sale of the Universal 6.0 Action Comics # 1, the

Vancouver Sun Newspaper did a rather large article about that

sale and the investment potential in older comics and mentioned

CGC and the record breaking prices certain key comics slabbed

in HG are selling for.

Think about your inheritance JC and give him some advice. (thumbs u

No kidding! I subscribe to the Sun but I missed that. Do you happen to have the article?

No, sorry I don't have the article. My Mother-in-law cut it out for me and

I might have tossed it. hm I will have a look around and scan it if I find it

for you.

Anyone seen these programs in question? I think he mentioned Suze Orman and some local magazine and newspaper articles, but I was a bit hesitant to talk about it after I tossed cold water on his "sure-fire investment news".

in HG are selling for.

No kidding! I subscribe to the Sun but I missed that. Do you happen to have the article?

for you.

http://www.vancouversun.com/News/Holy+investment+opportunity+Batman/1556308/story.html

So, there are no leads on the possible media culprits on this? Again, CBC or CNN are the likely areas, and I guess I'll get an exact source sometime this week, when they call to check in.

JC, I remember seeing something on MSNBC (that's right, the network with that nitwit Kramer) where they were discussing the option of investing in vintage comic books. I'm not 100% sure when I saw this, but it was definitely sometime since SEP 08.

Tell dad to buy the Avengers 4 in 9.4 (a pretty good book to have long term) but to pay as much less than 20K as he can, and sit on it.

of course we know it silly to pounce into action with every media related hype story like this on on comics, but, we here inside comice surely cant argue with teh logic of buying HG keys fpr th elong term??? Its not like Dad was screaming to buy COMICS COMICS COMICS!!! indiscriminately.

also, funny that comics as investments should strike dad as a good idea when it as his own son who was promoting that same idea in his "former self" before he became "just a poor collector with no idea of teh value of his goods"

I dunno aman. Twenty THOUSAND dollars for an avengers 4? I don't think that's so mess hot a long term investment. If it were my 20k I'd be nervous.

in HG are selling for.

for you.

http://www.vancouversun.com/News/Holy+investment+opportunity+Batman/1556308/story.html

Thanks! :)

I dunno aman. Twenty THOUSAND dollars for an avengers 4? I don't think that's so mess hot a long term investment. If it were my 20k I'd be nervous.

I agree as I said 20K is too much, But closer to 15 I say do it and sit back. Still a huge Marvel key and still pretty tough in 9.4. no?

I'm going to go ahead and call "B.S." on this story. You're telling me that you, JC, The King of Krash, had this experience over the weekend but you waited to share it?

I was waiting for this, especially from one of my personal trolls, Lego.

Believe it or not, it did slip my mind - my daughter had a piano recital and a birthday party this weekend, and busy ain't the word for it. It just slipped my mind, then I got an email this morning from my mother about another PC problem/virus email and it hit me. doh!

This is no joke, and like I said, my Dad got pretty testy when I called him on his "investment advice" and didn't exactly appreciate my input. :insane:

This article indicates a Press Release detailing a rise from $7,750 to $13,000 in 2 years for Avengers #4 in 9.4.

That definitely sounds about right, and was probably reported on CNN or other news outlet at one time or another. Thanks. (thumbs u

I'm going to go ahead and call "B.S." on this story. You're telling me that you, JC, The King of Krash, had this experience over the weekend but you waited to share it?

Lego is my new favorite forumite. :cloud9:

:luhv:

His posts do tend to build themselves one upon another.