• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK Boardies - a little Midlands Help Needed.

38 posts in this topic

Well it looks like the wife is taking the kids away for the weekend with the in-laws, so I'm going to have a lot of time to go check out some decent comic shops. Trouble is I don't know where there are any (shrug)

If any UK boardies know where there are any around Birmingham, or even a little further afield, I'd be grateful for any info. (thumbs u

Well, if you decide to visit London for the day, I can highly recommend Orbital Comics on Great Newport Street. Definitely the nicest of the central London comic shops IMO. Loads of back issues going back to the Silver Age as well as all the major new releases. Just outside the centre in Putney, you have 30th Century Comics who have crammed 50,000+ comics into their store. Well worth a look if you fancy visiting somewhere a bit less crowded than the West End.

Nice one Adam. London may be the way to go...

Unless Manchester or Liverpool have anything decent hm

ORBITAL is best in central London as per the last poster.

BUT 5 mins away from there is the FORBIDDEN PLANET megastore (2 floors of fun) GOSH COMICS (for the more discerning reader) and COMICANA (great back issues and rarities.

AND the best shop in the UK is 30th Century Comics just a tube ride away.

Well if you're stuck in the Midlands, why not drive up to Northampton and stalk visit Alan Moore (shrug)

Northampton is south of the Watford Gap and is therefore in the South of England.

Nottingham has three shops in the town centre, all very close to each other. Haven't been there for some time, but I recall it being easy enough to park near them.

The only shop in Birmingham that I remember is Nostalgia (now an FP) about ten minutes from the Bullring. Been past it but never in it, but I do recall spotting back issues on the wall.

Central London does shade it when it comes to back issues, as Gosh, Orbital and Comicana all have them, and they're all within walking distance of each other (as is FP).

Northampton is south of the Watford Gap and is therefore in the South of England.

Only thing I remember of UK geography from the time I lived over there is that it's grim up north :angel:

Only thing I remember of UK geography from the time I lived over there is that it's grim up north :angel:

You've got to be tough to live up here!

rjo0237l.jpg

You've got to be tough to live up here!

rjo0237l.jpg

:o:sumo:

Get yourself up here to Teesside and we'll visit Henry and Comicopolis.

No decent comic shops but im off to a boozy barbeque you can tag along to (thumbs u

Get yourself up here to Teesside and we'll visit Henry and Comicopolis.

No decent comic shops but im off to a boozy barbeque you can tag along to (thumbs u

Three comic collectors in Teesside. If we go along to Redcar beach we can imagine that it's just like being a High Grade collector on the West Coast of the US!

The best movie ever (worship)

I can't believe there isn't one decent 'comic shop' in the Midlands. They're all Forbidden Planets, what's going on with this world? I called one guy in Stourbridge whose shop is called Comics N Toys.

'Do you sell back issues?'

'I do, but they're all in piles in the back. I don't even know what I've got.'

'Oh. Do you stock CGC graded books?'

'No they're a rip off. It's cheaper to get them done yourself.'

'Oh. Do you have any Silver Age?'

'Yeah, I think so. I've got plenty from the 80's, mostly from the 90's though.'

'I think I'll give it a miss.'

'We do have lots of statues and figures in the front.'

'Well I bet that makes your shop look nice. Buy.'

What a waste of time.

Nowhere around the Liverpool/Manchester area? (shrug)

I would actually make the trek to London but I've heard the tube strike is still ongoing. I didn't actually know there was one until my mate told me last night. If that's the case would it better to give London a miss? I'm pretty sure Comicana and the like are within walking distance of Euston. If the trains are running OK I may just head down there.

I think dropping into the US for the day is your best bet. (thumbs u

Failing that, try London.

I would actually make the trek to London but I've heard the tube strike is still ongoing. I didn't actually know there was one until my mate told me last night. If that's the case would it better to give London a miss? I'm pretty sure Comicana and the like are within walking distance of Euston. If the trains are running OK I may just head down there.

Strike ending 7pm today.

You can walk from Euston to Gosh in about 15 minutes, and after that all the other shops are within ten minutes of each other (more or less), so the tube is almost unnecessary.

Of course if you were coming down on the 21st instead of this week, there's a comic mart at the Royal National Hotel on Bedford Way, which is about 10 minutes walk from Euston.