• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: If you were a billionaire, would you drastically overpay for a slab?

If you were a billionaire, would you pay $15,000 for a rare high grade slab you truly felt was only worth $3,000 but you still really wanted it?  

384 members have voted

1. 1. If you were a billionaire, would you pay $15,000 for a rare high grade slab you truly felt was only worth $3,000 but you still really wanted it?

107 posts in this topic

Actually, I'm very happy.

I don't know why leaving a negative on ebay would indicate I'm not happy???

I don't leave negatives with any personal animus, its purely business. Basically I leave negatives on ebay for two reasons: 1) the seller mailed the CGC in an envelope or in such a way that it would be impossible for the CGC to survive (in other words, completely irresponsibly) or 2) the seller did something dishonest.

First, I send this type of seller an e-mail telling him I'm going to leave him a negative. Then I ask him to block me from ever bidding on any auction of theirs ever again. The seller, being the type of person he (or her) is, almost always sends me back a e-mail telling me what a ***** of **** I am, how it is all my fault in some way, and how he (or she) will take great pleasure blocking me.

In other words, I get exactly what I want.

I never have to worry about even accidentally dealing with some clown again.

Any seller who makes even a minimal effort to protect a CGC has nothing to worry about from me. Any seller who goes beyond the call of duty has me as a loyal customer.

On the other hand, any person who obsesses over how much some one else wastes on their hobby has issues all their own and needs therapy.

Gotta go now. I have to leave negatives for this ******* who didn't mail me seven cgcs for over a month, shipped them all basically unpadded in a box no bigger than the CGCs themselves (they were all broken) and is basically a completely dishonest **** because 2 of the CGCs have tape on their breaks (meaning he sold them broken without even mentioning it, i.e dishonesty).

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

(thumbs u Buddy

If money is no object, then I doubt I would think twice about it. It's one thing to look at yourself now and think, "no way would I act like that or spend like that". But honestly, I think if I had 9 zeroes at the end of my bank accounts, I wouldn't care what anything cost. Why would I care? Not like I can't afford basically anything. Apparently you can "almost" buy an NHL franchise for 212 million. So if I had billions, what'cha gonna do with all that dough? Spend it of course!

I'd buy all kinds of stupid mess if I was billionaire. Having that kind of money means you don't have to worry about price.

Spoons everywhere....spoons everywhere!!!!!

the only thing I hold against Spidey was saving that guy's life.

most people who get rich, baring luck, don't do so by overpaying just because they want something.

This is likely true. But in this example, overpaying for a comic book doesn't imply you'd overpay for everything in life.

And even if you did, if you have billions, who cares. Seriously, how much money does 1 billion earn in interest annually? Let alone billions. At 4% compounded monthly that's got to be an enormous figure. You'd replenish faster than you could spend so long as you didn't toss the money out of plane or something for shiz and giggles.

4% is like 40 million a year in interest before taxes, so you'd have to spend something like $110,000 a day to go over what you earned that day.

Sounds like a life I'd like to have.

Any of you Billionaires out there want to take a break for a day and send me that day's interest I'd like to put it down on a house... just saying.

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=pastimperfekt&Dirn=Left+by&ref=home

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on those that aren't packed good. Maybe he is happy, maybe this is what makes him happy. I don't know, I'm just reaching. Regardless, the guy dropped a $100.00 on a Incredible CGC 9.8 Hulk 106 (3rd Series, 3rd print) so it appears he's willing to spend the dough and it appears he has the funds to do it. Some do, some don't.

This is what feedback from everyone who buys comics on eBay should look like.

eBay is a hotbed of soft AND hard fraud, and has been since almost the beginning.

But, since vengeance negative feedback was so common, people were a bunch of cowards, and didn't leave it, even when it was WELL deserved.

Then, the people who DID have the balls to leave accurate feedback, like ol' past and me, it is US who are excoriated as "problem buyers" and "frauds" and "scam artists"...instead of being appreciated for standing up to the overgraders and thieves which EVERY ONE OF US READING THIS KNOWS IS RAMPANT.

Feedback cannot tell you the whole story, and never has been able to.

I notice there are several sellers on that list that I also had problems with...mmcomics (minor, but still), wizarduniverse, cal, demsrays (overgrading liar)...and that's only in the last 2.5 years. No coincidence. I wonder what it would look like if it went back to 1998.

eBay getting rid of feedback from non-registered users was one of the poorer choices eBay's made.

However...I always, always, always make a good faith effort to give the seller a chance to make it good.

most people who get rich, baring luck, don't do so by overpaying just because they want something.

This is likely true. But in this example, overpaying for a comic book doesn't imply you'd overpay for everything in life.

And even if you did, if you have billions, who cares. Seriously, how much money does 1 billion earn in interest annually? Let alone billions. At 4% compounded monthly that's got to be an enormous figure. You'd replenish faster than you could spend so long as you didn't toss the money out of plane or something for shiz and giggles.

true but the more you spend, the less interest you make, and while it might take me awhile, if I was willing to overpay for a comic (which I have, but intend to try not to do again) what would make it seem that I wouldn't overpay for anything else?

just because someone has a lot of money doesn't mean they shouldn't watch how fast it leaves. You also have to think of the taxes on your money and passing on to family, if you have it. Most of the people I've meet that have a lot of money, and granted you don't have to be a billionaire to make it into that category for me, tend to actually be frugal and don't want to overspend for things. They may spend money on luxuries, but that doesn't mean that they over pay just because they want something.

I don't know if I'll ever become a billionaire as I am only a lowly multi-millionaire, but heck, I would definitely over spend on something that I want.

Brian

hm so what titles do you need???

No way would I spend more than what a comic is worth.I bet you would be surprised that most rich people are very frugal with their money,how do you think they got so rich? (shrug)

Billionaires pay people to buy stuff for them because they don't have the time to do the looking/researching themselves. Time is worth much, MUCH more to them than money.

However...I always, always, always make a good faith effort to give the seller a chance to make it good.

When I began buying on ebay, I always made a good faith effort to work problems out. But, in every case, it was a total waste of time. The typical response of someone who is either dishonest or irresponsible is 1) they have done nothing wrong, no matter how blatant; 2) it's all your fault, never ever theirs; and/or 3) it's all lies and you are trying to run some sort of scam on them.

[i always get a kick out of that. Without fail, the worst scam artists always accuse you of running some sort of scam.]

I used to actaully go through the entire ebay complaint system and return broken CGCs. In the end, I just decided that it was a total waste of my time. To fix a CGC is basically $15. Wasting several hours dealing with some insufficiently_thoughtful_person (and the postage to return a CGC) is not cost-effective. Not to mention the wear and tear on you mentally.

My current method may seem cold but, as far as I'm concerned, any seller who lies or is so inconsiderate to send you a CGC in such a way that a five-year-old would know it was stupid and irresponsible, does not deserve consideration. It's just much simpler to end it quickly, cleanly, and make sure it will not re-occur.

[i did have one guy, after I adopted my current policy - cosimo1029 - send me the money to reholder a broken CGC. Surprised the living hell out of me. I had left him a neutral after he sent me a CGC in a flimsy box, no bigger than the CGC itself, with a single small piece of loose bubble wrap as padding.]

The tragedy is that these CGC cases can be so fragile that sometimes even with the most bulletproof packing, cases can still be cracked. Hell, I got 5 cracked or smashed cases direct from CGC in one of my recent 30 book submissions. It happens, but there is no excuse for poor packing.

I got a Bronze X-Men CGC 9.8 from England that was sent in a large envelope. It arrived cracked of course. Seller did however refund the reholder and shipping fees.

H4N, I apologize for throwing you out there and I'm glad you're a member of the boards since I know you've been talked about before with all of the purchases of graded books you buy. No, I'm not obssesed over you personally, I'm just a collector trying to complete a graded run and I guess when you start getting beat out by the same person mulitple times; when you just need that one book, it makes you want to pull your hair out. Even when you put a very high bid down. But thats what makes the hobby fun. Regardless, I'm happy that you're happy :grin:

I notice there are several sellers on that list that I also had problems with...mmcomics (minor, but still), wizarduniverse, cal, demsrays (overgrading liar)...

BEWARE. Seller mailing cgc books unprotected. Buy if you want wrecked book.

Reply by calamerica-collectibles (Jun-06-07 05:14):

Buy Insurance next time. Listing did recommend Insurance for fragile CGC items!!

:o