• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you SELL you collection if a billionaire wanted to buy it?

75 posts in this topic

Heres a question for you, triggered by the "If you were a billionaire" thread.....

Would you SELL your collection if someone wanted to buy it? Think of the time spent putting it all together.....think of the joy everytime you scored a new book or filled a hole......think of the beauty of seqential order that you have built up over a long period of time.

Question: Would you sell your collection straight up for guide?

2x guide?

More?

No way?

As for me......I wouldn't.....at least not now. I really like my collection and its not about the $$$.....its about the fun, and I'm just not sure how much thats worth.

It's just paper, if it would give my family a better life..sure, I'd sell it..it will all be dust in a hundred years

+

It would be fun making a new collection..maybe teapots or pilot fighter helmets

I would sell for a much as I could get. If I could get straight guide for my raw collection, and GPA for my certified books, I would sell without hesitation.

I can buy the collection far more easily having a fist full of dollars to buy entire runs instead of a few issues at a time.

It was recently put to me that a HG collector pd. over $600 for 3 individual slabs that I in fact own myself for less than $90 delivered. :/

... so, yeah. Comparatively, I might just consider a buyout of that nature. 2c

* Easy now, maybe it's just the Scotch talkin'... meh

If we're talking about my good stuff only -- my Silver, my Amazings -- that would be a tough call. Right now, I'd have to get close to full guide to think about parting with it -- I'm not even close to feeling I'm finished with the runs I'm trying to put together (but the money I'd hypothetically get would be substantial enough that it would still be tempting).

If we're talking about my whole collection, though? Well, to get full guide (or anything close) for a collection that, for all of its good stuff, has a ton of titles that are relatively worthless -- that would be a different story altogether. I could still turn a tidy profit while re-buying my lost Silver. That I could easily do -- but of course, that'll never happen.

Heres a question for you, triggered by the "If you were a billionaire" thread.....

Would you SELL your collection if someone wanted to buy it? Think of the time spent putting it all together.....think of the joy everytime you scored a new book or filled a hole......think of the beauty of seqential order that you have built up over a long period of time.

2x guide?

More?

No way?

As for me......I wouldn't.....at least not now. I really like my collection and its not about the $$$.....its about the fun, and I'm just not sure how much thats worth.

For twice guide sure why not? Most of my collection is raw. I have nothing in my collection that I can't easily get back on Ebay the very next day. So in essence the next day I have my Amazing Spider-man collection minus the unwanted extra's, and a nice little chunk of money to boot.

2x guide?

More?

No way?

I understand the sentimentality part, but I would sell in a heartbeat. Then I would replace them all for less and pocket the difference!

It's just paper, if it would give my family a better life..sure, I'd sell it..it will all be dust in a hundred years

+

Wait a minute.....if selling your collection would give your fam a better life....why don't you just quit and have the money in hand "to give them a better life"? Collecting comics give me a better life :grin:

And I don't believe that anybody could put together a collection of anything pre 1970 with a finger snap. If you could......no one is gonna buy YOUR collection....they will just go buy it on ebay or where ever you are planning on replacing it at. 2c

If I could hold back a handful, I'd sell the rest if the price was right.

If I had to sell everything, I wouldn't unless I got 10x current market.

Thats what I'm talkin about !! 10 x (thumbs u

If I could hold back a handful, I'd sell the rest if the price was right.

If I had to sell everything, I wouldn't unless I got 10x current market.

ditto. If I could hold my earliest books (that coincidentally have no real value), then yes.

+

Wait a minute.....if selling your collection would give your fam a better life....why don't you just quit and have the money in hand "to give them a better life"? Collecting comics give me a better life :grin:

And I don't believe that anybody could put together a collection of anything pre 1970 with a finger snap. If you could......no one is gonna buy YOUR collection....they will just go buy it on ebay or where ever you are planning on replacing it at. 2c

By a better life, I mean my wife would stop hammering about how much I spent on comics, my secret obcession..and, if I was to get all my money back, and then some, I think I could start a new outlet...with some grocery money from the sell..