• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does the Church Action #1 belong in the Smithsonian?

60 posts in this topic

It occurred to me this morning that while many collectors may want to personally own many of the great key issues of the Golden Age available on the market; that a strong case could be made for housing some of these issues in the Smithsonian.

Action 1 comes to mind as the most iconic issue that the Smithsonian really should preserve and present to the public and if possible have available the best copy in existence. When one thinks of the impact that Superman has had on the American public and in fact a global audience; one can argue that he is a modern day Ulysses or Beowulf. They were traditional heroes who transcended their time and culture to become legend. I believe we will witness that same transition for Superman during this century.

If that happens a strong case could be made that the preservation of the earliest expressions of that hero should be the responsibility of the culture that first expressed it. And that undertaking should be done in the most professional and responsible way possible and be undertaken in a way that preserves these artifacts for future generations.

I am not sure who is in charge of the collections at the Smithsonian but I wonder if they actively pursue improving collections of this type or encourage and make it easy to donate key collections.

While many of you who collect these books will take issue with this notion, I consider it the highest form of flattery in regard to your recognition of the value of these cultural artifacts. And that recognition has come much earlier than from the traditional academic community. Like the monks of old who protected illuminated texts and scientific writings from the intellectual purges of the Middle Ages, collector's personal efforts to preserve our comic heritage should be applauded.

Please note, I am not advocating that anything but market forces and existing tax laws be used to effect any transactions involving the ownership of these comics.

sure, but the issue isnt whether an Action 1 belongs in the USAs official collection, bu whether the BEST copy needs to be there. They dont necessarily need the best Model T, or anything for items that were mass produced because the intrinsic nature of the item is what is being "celebrated". no?

Any copy would do, and Id assume they already have a copy. perhaps.

No. This may sounds counter-intuitive but I don't trust museums to properly care for comics or care about them. They may go on display initially only to get buried in the basement as the museum curator is unlikely to think that highly of comics or too worry much if they put a small crease on an otherwise pristine copy (I've seen this happen).

A large percentage of what we see in museums is restored, even paintings by masters. A lowly periodical from the 1930s? They wouldn't think twice about sending it to a restorer or having a restored copy.

No. This may sounds counter-intuitive but I don't trust museums to properly care for comics or care about them. They may go on display initially only to get buried in the basement as the museum curator is unlikely to think that highly of comics or too worry much if they put a small crease on an otherwise pristine copy (I've seen this happen).

Bingo. My brother-in-law co-curated an exhibit at the NYPL years ago - you should have seen the stuff that hadn't seen the light of day for years. Forgotten-about.

Bingo. My brother-in-law co-curated an exhibit at the NYPL years ago - you should have seen the stuff that hadn't seen the light of day for years. Forgotten-about.

Plus, I bet the current owner of the Church Action 1 is taking very good care of it and admiring it often. We're frustrated that he won't share pictures if it, but how often would be get to see it if the Smithsonian owned it?

sure, but the issue isnt whether an Action 1 belongs in the USAs official collection, bu whether the BEST copy needs to be there. They dont necessarily need the best Model T, or anything for items that were mass produced because the intrinsic nature of the item is what is being "celebrated". no?

Any copy would do, and Id assume they already have a copy. perhaps.

Exactly. The Church copy, or best copy, only has significance to collectors. Grade is irrelevant to the general public.

I agree that a copy should be in the Smithsonian as a representative of a 20th century cultural phenomenon, but any copy of Action #1 would do. In fact, they`d probably prefer to use a restored copy.

If an outside curator were to arrange a collection of the best comics (such as the Church Action 1) to come together and tour several museums with the intention of ending with an extending stay in the Smithsonian it would make some sense.

It would have to be a touring exhibit with the pieces on loan from their various owners and managed by someone with skills to make sure they're all handled correctly. That would be an expensive proposition because of insurance and the like but it could be done.

Just thinking out loud for a second but when I went to the Smithsonian I enjoyed all of the exhibits that I looked at. However, the stamp collection in DC was a lot less interesting to me than the one of the people that I was with. Would comics have a big enough appeal to justify the purchase of large collections to display. Geppi already had a collection for his museum. Robinson and others had to buy original art for the Jewish Museum and I guess the collection does well when it tours other cities. A loaner collection for the Smithsonian wouldn't seem right but I guess they could put together a nice collection of Platinum, Gold, Silver and Premiums. I could have donated last year instead of paying my taxes. Perhaps Obama can include this as part of his stimulus plan.

bb

as it has already been saidin a previous post, there isn't any reason for the Mile High copy of anything to be in the Smithsonian.

The Simthsonian is a place of "Historical reasearch"

what is important to this institution is to record what has happened in American History. To the museum & to the museum's visitors, what is important is to view history and Action #1 is an important part of American Culture. However ANY COPY of the comic book - and you can be sure they must have one - will do for their usage

To comic collectors, the Mile High Collection has a certain importance.. But to the Smithsonian and to the average visitor/historian/etc.. the Mile High designation is even less than a footnote as it is the contents of the publication & the first appearance of Superman that are the important subjects about the comic book concerning historical significance.

From another perspective... It is collectors and not museums that make things important to the masses.. If there were no comic collectors, Action #1 would be the smallest footnote imaginable to the Smithsonian. It is the collectors who for the last 50 years have made comic books and their historical aspect more well known to various parts of our culture and without whom comics would get little news.

So there should be some nuggets that only the collectors should keep for the hobby because we must not forget that when something get's bequeathed to an institution like the Smithsonian, that it is lost to collectors. However if the MH Action #1 remains in circulation, it does give the opportunity for many people to own it during the course of time (even if Dave or his son never sell it.. after them..)

It would be easier to buy from The Smithsonian.

The Smithsonian does not sell exhibit pieces.

This is the problem with "putting things in museums." They become forever beyond the reach of people who might like to own them, even if for a little while.

It's absurd the amount of pieces that are locked away forever in museum collections, just so visitors who have no concept of the items' value and importance can oggle at them.

I don't care that they may be hidden away for decades in someone's collection...that someone is likely going to appreciate the item far more than a bunch of schoolkids oggling it behind glass. Besides, that's what pictures are for. If I cannot touch it, hold it, there's no difference between a photo and a large piece of glass. And, unless I become a world renowned curator, or very, VERY important person, I will NEVER, EVER have the opportunity to hold the pieces in the Smithsonian.

I know it's not the Smithsonian, but didn't the Library of Congress used to have one copy of every comic book published? I think it was a copyright thing. Many were stolen over the years by less than honest collectors and dealers.

I know it's not the Smithsonian, but didn't the Library of Congress used to have one copy of every comic book published? I think it was a copyright thing. Many were stolen over the years by less than honest collectors and dealers.

Dealers and collectors who are less than honest? Come on now. hm

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

A part of what I considered in my initial post is how long a strong interest in Golden Age material will last. I believe upcoming demographic shifts have a strong chance to decrease the interest in Golden Age and subsequently Silver Age material. Similar shifts have been witnessed in the markets for 78 rpm records, Model T Fords, and stamps in the recent past.

I don't think today's generation of children who will be very interested in the computer games and internet of their youth will have the same connection with comics that those over 30 do today. As such the interest in old comics will shift in some undetermined way and that shift is already occurring as anyone attending San Diego over the last twenty years can tell you.

Whether comics enter a rarified version of collecting that still demands high prices for quality material or whether there is an overall depression in prices due to a declining interest on the part of the collecting community remains to be seen.

Action 1 will remain a desirable issue as Superman will transcend and in fact has already transcended the limits of his initial media base of comic books. As such he will live on in a variety of media even as the comic book in its current guise inevitably disappears from the scene.

My thoughts about the Edgar Church copy being in the Smithsonian centers around the ultimate resolution of this issue over the upcoming century. The Smithsonian has been described as the nation’s attic and as a lot of you have pointed out may not be the best place to preserve the best example of Action 1. However, it does serve an important role as a place where many Americans can view artifacts of many aspects of our culture. As such it has the ability to both educate and inspire many people. A part of that education should be a presentation of a uniquely American hero known as Superman in its initial incarnation.

Were comics to ever be viewed as a higher art form in this country a more high profile venue for preservation and presentation of comic books could be established. I do not think this will happen and in fact I suspect that comic books will be relegated to an even more obscure niche marketplace in the future.