• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Report from Big Apple Convention

62 posts in this topic

This was a first con so I was a bit nervous and did not really know what to expect. I got there just before 10:30 and it was not packed yet so I looked around quickly but found a table that had some comics I wanted so there goes that theory to circle once before buying.

I was hunting for Charlton romance series, some independents and Katy Keene's from the 80's. No independents were to be found nor was the Charlton series I am collecting. I was surprised that the dealers who had Archie’s, did not have any Kay Keene. I found a few older ones but they were not complete so I pass.

I picked up a few Charlton romance comics of various titles from a couple of dealers. I almost missed out on a great table of $4, $2 and $1 issues. I was lucky enough to snag some cheap BA Tecs that I need to fill in my collection from that table as it was packed. I was surprised that one guy was talking to the table owner about flipping the books on ebay.

I also got a few 1/2 off trades and the stopped to take pics before leaving. It was way too crowded at this point so I only go a few in. Plus everyone thought I was a bit odd for taking pics. I enjoy reading these con posts and looking at the pics. Hopefully everyone else will too.

Joseph Giella. I did not really talk to him much but got a card and snapped a pic before running away.

BAcon2.jpg

Thanks for the pics + the report!! Is that the OA for 4 Bronze ASM covers on the top shelf?!?!?! :o :o (worship) (worship)

I left just after 12:30 and luckily made it back to the car before the down pour. All in all it was a great morning of comics. I talked to a few people, shopped and smelled the city. :grin:

Sorry for the rush but now I am off to the Prom. I live a charmed live.

This was my second table where I snagged a few I love you's for $3 bucks each. The guy before me purchased a beautiful Rangers comic. His site is www.ndcomics.com and also sells on ebay.

BAcon4.jpg

That's John Haines, not ndcomics. ndcomics is Todd McDevitt I believe.

My first purchases were at this table, a few Charlton romance issues. The seller is Terry's Comics and he is located in Cali

BAcon_Terry2.jpg

BAcon_Terry3.jpg

The guy with the pony tail in the first photo is Dave Reynolds of Dave's American Comics. Terry O'Neill of Terry's Comics is in the second photo on the right side in the white shirt. Those two guys are almost always set up together at shows.

Thanks for the report and the pics! Have fun at the prom! (thumbs u

My first purchases were at this table, a few Charlton romance issues. The seller is Terry's Comics and he is located in Cali

BAcon_Terry2.jpg

That may be Terry's inventory but the character in front is Dave Reynolds of Dave's American Comics. Dave is located in Philadelphia and Terry is in CA but the two of them work together. He may be subbing for Terry but the last time I saw Dave at the NYCC he had a pretty good inventory too.

bb

Oops it looks like someone beat me to the punch. Oh well.

This was my second table where I snagged a few I love you's for $3 bucks each. The guy before me purchased a beautiful Rangers comic.

Hey, I was that guy. lol:hi: Too funny. I wish I'd known you were there! I would have said hello.

I chatted with John Haines (the dealer in your pic) for a good ten minutes or so. He came from Cleveland to work the show and buy a local collection. Really nice guy, very knowledgable about GA books. I love it when "smaller" dealers are at the convention, in addition to the handful of big dealers that always set up at every show. I can't recall ever seeing him at a NY show before.

Good Report. Thanks for sharing. I was there from 7 a.m. till about 7 p.m. From the looks to me, it seemed everyone had a fun time being at the show. It was on the 18th floor of the hotel which was where they used to have the shows back in the 90's. Some of the dealers got a little misty eyed cause it brought back memories. lol Anyway, the atmosphere was great, there was plenty of comics to be had from GA up until last Wednesdays new comics. Oh and there was a handsome guy there selling toploaders. :acclaim: Next show i will bring more of a selection of supplies. My van needs breaks and we borrowed my father's hyundai to bring just toploaders to the show.

I think Mike did a great job with this one.

Jeff

Oh, in case anyone wants to know (particularly that artist who complained about the last show because he was rude and wondered why he made no money), the bathrooms were being cleaned continuously throughout the day by the hotel staff.

This was my second table where I snagged a few I love you's for $3 bucks each. The guy before me purchased a beautiful Rangers comic. His site is www.ndcomics.com and also sells on ebay.

BAcon4.jpg

--------------

nice guy. i was there with my wife and 3 1/2 year old son and he asked my son what he liked, my son said batman, and he dug a 12 cent batman out of a $3 box and gave it to him. i wound up dropping $100 at his table. i probably would have spent more, but the guy going next to the boxes next to me had such bad breath I was going to pass out.

BAcon4.jpg

--------------

nice guy. i was there with my wife and 3 1/2 year old son and he asked my son what he liked, my son said batman, and he dug a 12 cent batman out of a $3 box and gave it to him. i wound up dropping $100 at his table. i probably would have spent more, but the guy going next to the boxes next to me had such bad breath I was going to pass out.

hey that was me!