• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is The Spirit movie really that bad?

79 posts in this topic

It means kids have bad taste in movies, thats what it means.

it has ever been thus. most kids can't tell the difference between a good film and something thrown together by beancounters and yes-men, so long as the latter has at least one fart joke and at most one "slow" scene

It's a shame. I was really excited for this movie before it came out. My sister and boyfriend went with me to see it. My sister fell asleep 10 minutes in, my boyfriend fell asleep 30 minutes in. I was too angry at the movie to sleep. >(

anyone who wanted to see this movie should have just watched any of the trailers. if one were to watch the trailer and still want to see the movie, then that person is either a glutton for punishment, a masochist or has really low standards for their entertainment dollar.

generally speaking, if a film can't even cobble together a decent trailer, then there's really no hope for the flick at all

anyone who wanted to see this movie should have just watched any of the trailers. if one were to watch the trailer and still want to see the movie, then that person is either a glutton for punishment, a masochist or has really low standards for their entertainment dollar.

generally speaking, if a film can't even cobble together a decent trailer, then there's really no hope for the flick at all

It is better than the new Punisher movie, that just might be the worst.

That movie was actually entertaining, and it was what a Punisher movie should be. The Spirit missed the mark of being a good movie by a few time zones.

You know, I was hoping there would be some redeeming value to the movie but, alas, there was none. Miller did have some homages to Eisner's Spirit, but they were few and far between. I would love to have heard the pitch Miller used to get a movie made with a comic book hero that doesn't have any super powers, doesn't have a costume (aside from a mask), and never uses a weapon. It must've been sheer genius.

Drag Me To Hell was a pretty good flick, and the trailer sucked hard core. Sometimes the person making the trailer has no idea what they are doing.

That movie was actually entertaining, and it was what a Punisher movie should be. The Spirit missed the mark of being a good movie by a few time zones.

I guess you were in the minority as the Punisher War Zone was the lowest grossing Marvel movie of all-time at Worldwide: $10,089,373 total while even the Spirit beat it at Worldwide: $39,031,337.

also please don`t go by the Spirit trailer, it has to be one of the worst trailers ever made for a movie. If you had to see one of them. The Spirit would be the one as the Spirit is actually funny and will make you laugh. I enjoyed much more than the Eisner comic Spirit, which I always found dry.

I don't really care how much or little the movies made. Punisher: War Zone was supposed to be a direct to DVD movie anyhow.

When the Spirit first came out, everyone on here whined about how much of a terrible, God awful movie it was. Punisher was praised in comparison, as it was more entertaining, and didn't put half of it's audience to sleep.

What I'm really trying to say is that I would rather watch Punisher, Fantastic Four, Batman and Robin, and Ghost Rider for the rest of my life than The Spirit. It was a Frank Miller party. The guy is (shockingly) a :censored: and got offended that fans of The Spirit didn't enjoy it. I do believe he even said "I don't owe anything to the fans." No, I guess not, but they are the ones bringing your money.

Drag Me To Hell was a pretty good flick, and the trailer sucked hard core. Sometimes the person making the trailer has no idea what they are doing.

Films by auteurs don't count. I'm talking strictly about popcorn, tent-pole movies

I would love to have heard the pitch Miller used to get a movie made with a comic book hero that doesn't have any super powers, doesn't have a costume (aside from a mask), and never uses a weapon. It must've been sheer genius.

It was probably something like, "Sin City...300...That was me."

And the studio greenlit it.

I would love to have heard the pitch Miller used to get a movie made with a comic book hero that doesn't have any super powers, doesn't have a costume (aside from a mask), and never uses a weapon. It must've been sheer genius.

It was probably something like, "Sin City...300...That was me."

And the studio greenlit it.

Wasn't there a made for TV movie or TV show of The Spirit a few years back, though?

Yep; sure was:

"The character was the subject of a 1987 television movie starring Sam J. Jones as The Spirit, Nana Visitor as Ellen Dolan, and Garry Walberg as Commissioner Dolan."

Per Wikipedia.

spirit.jpg

I don't really care how much or little the movies made. Punisher: War Zone was supposed to be a direct to DVD movie anyhow.

When the Spirit first came out, everyone on here whined about how much of a terrible, God awful movie it was. Punisher was praised in comparison, as it was more entertaining, and didn't put half of it's audience to sleep.

What I'm really trying to say is that I would rather watch Punisher, Fantastic Four, Batman and Robin, and Ghost Rider for the rest of my life than The Spirit. It was a Frank Miller party. The guy is (shockingly) a :censored: and got offended that fans of The Spirit didn't enjoy it. I do believe he even said "I don't owe anything to the fans." No, I guess not, but they are the ones bringing your money.

Sorry to hear that Frank Miller is like that, yeah that can ruin one`s enjoyment of the movie if you know the director is a spoon. I guess some of these former comic book writers let Hollywood get to them and forget thier roots.