• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If pressing was detectable should it be given a blue label designation?

If CGC could detect pressing, should it still classify it as a blue label?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. If CGC could detect pressing, should it still classify it as a blue label?

255 posts in this topic

There must be some common ground that everyone stands on or can at least agree represents what a pressed book is and that is is an integral part of the book once it has occurred and should not be concealed if known.

:roflmao:

I just read that a spit up my coke. I'm not laughing at you, it just struck me as funny considering the topic. IMHO, I think the Israelis and Palestinians will find a common ground before any is found in the great pressing debate.

Sad but true.

I disagree. I'm against pressing but I'm freinds with people who get books pressed. I might disagree with their stance but to say that common ground can't be found is not the case IMHO.

There must be some common ground that everyone stands on or can at least agree represents what a pressed book is and that is is an integral part of the book once it has occurred and should not be concealed if known.

I just read that a spit up my coke. I'm not laughing at you, it just struck me as funny considering the topic. IMHO, I think the Israelis and Palestinians will find a common ground before any is found in the great pressing debate.

Sad but true.

I disagree. I'm against pressing but I'm freinds with people who get books pressed. I might disagree with their stance but to say that common ground can't be found is not the case IMHO.

While it may be for the individual or two, as a group it will never happen. Each sid ewill have it's own camp and stick to their ideals. Roe v. Wade in a comic book sense.

Sad but true.

I disagree. I'm against pressing but I'm friends with people who get books pressed. I might disagree with their stance but to say that common ground can't be found is not the case IMHO.

While it may be for the individual or two, as a group it will never happen. Each side will have it's own camp and stick to their ideals.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of discussing it.

I have avoided this argument, but I think I will finally put my 2 cents in.

Pressing is restoration, Period, end of story. You take a book and do a procedure that changes its potential grade is in itself restoration. There is no valid argument against it.

The definition of restoration itself only further proves that pressing is indeed restoration.

If it could be detected it should get a purple label, and if it was easily detectable I am willing to bet CGC would do as much.

So to answer the OP question posed Pressed books should get a purple label.

I will say this, knowingly selling a pressed book without disclosing can lead to nasty consequences, not so much with small purchases, but the books in the 10k plus level you get a buyer who finds out and is upset enough may very well put this matter in front of courts, and I doubt the seller will win. So it is probably in everyone's best interest to disclose. I know if I paid a huge amount for a book and found out that the seller pressed the book and did not disclose I will be going to court fast.

Ok I said my 2 cents, I am not going to debate the issue further as it is pointless both sides are firmly dug into place, and sadly it may take a court ruling to answer this question.

Anyone got any examples/pictures of a pressed book before and after the process?

stitchedbackcover.jpg

stitcheddentincover.jpg

stitchedfrontcoverdent.jpg

This is from "Eclipse Paper Conservation"..I have no idea if they are still in business. I called the 800 number, and there's a message machine, so I imagine they still are.

You take a book and do a procedure that changes its potential grade is in itself restoration. There is no valid argument against it.

I have a 9.8 potential book.

I smash it hard on the bottom of the spine against my countertop.

I have just changed its potential grade.

restoration....?

You take a book and do a procedure that changes its potential grade is in itself restoration. There is no valid argument against it.

restoration....?

nope - your a typical postman in Ohio :(

restoration....?

No. You did not restore the book to anything. You damaged the book, which lowers the grade.

restoration....?

nope - your a typical postman in Ohio :(

lol

I'm quite sure Prismatic meant to say "changes its potential grader HIGHER", but that still begs the question...

Pressing isn't an alteration...it's an "undoing" of some of what handling "did" to the book. No one is altering (in theory, that is, I know the jury is still out on that) anything about the paper's basic structure, or its composition, or its chemical makeup, etc etc etc.

Wear and tear removes a book from THE original state it was in. This can includeschanging the basic paper structure, composition, or chemical makeup (stains, pieces torn off, etc etc etc.)

Pressing does not add or subtract anything to or from the book.

Just like scraping off color touch can bring back the book to AN original (not THE original) state (with the attendant reduction in grade), so to does pressing. Nothing fundamental has changed. In fact, as scraping off color touch actually removes (some) paper, it should be considered more "restorative" than pressing, which adds, or takes away, nothing. The only reason there's no outcry over color touch removal is because it LOWERS the overall grade of the book, in most cases.

If you say "well, pressing RESTORES it to a higher apparent grade", then you're just playing semantics with the word "restores", just as I did with the word "original" in the paragraph above.

Holes, holes, glorious holes....

restoration....?

No. You did not restore the book to anything. You damaged the book, which lowers the grade.

I agree, 100%

But Prismatic only said "changes its potential grade".... hm

I have an Action #56 with a sticker over Superman's face. I remove the sticker. Have I restored the book?

I have a Detective #67 that has a big piece of....we'll call it "food"...stuck to the cover.

I scrape as much of that...substance....off.

Have I restored the book?

Just like scraping off color touch can bring back the book to AN original (not THE original) state (with the attendant reduction in grade), so to does pressing. Nothing fundamental has changed. In fact, as scraping off color touch actually removes (some) paper, it should be considered more "restorative" than pressing, which adds, or takes away, nothing. The only reason there's no outcry over color touch removal is because it LOWERS the overall grade of the book, in most cases.

An excellent point.

restoration....?

I agree, 100%

I suspect that he thought it too obvious, to need to go into further detail

restoration....?

I agree, 100%

There is no such thing as "too obvious", especially in a detailed debate, especially on such an important point (the very definition of what is, and is not, restoration), especially considering the point I made about color touch removal.

(thumbs u

restoration....?

I agree, 100%

There is no such thing as "too obvious", especially in a detailed debate, especially on such an important point, especially considering the point I made about color touch removal.

(thumbs u

I would humbly disagree on your point about nothing being too obvious but instead I will concede the point because I don't want to get into a ten page disagreement with you about it. :baiting: