• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overlooked Issues You Are Fond of

81 posts in this topic

Most of the TOD and (Jonah Hex) Weird western tales run

How about Wrightson drawing Jonah Hex?

JonahHex9.jpg

Gil Kane did some incredible covers for Marvel in the 70's. Here's one of my favorite issues.

COL20.jpg

Somebody mentioned Grell...he did some great work early in his career, such as this cover from the resurrection of a classic title.

ASC58.jpg

The number of great DC BA horror covers is almost limitless, but this is one of my favorites. Maybe it's the voluptuous blonde...

Unexpected130.jpg

Another pre-76 issue, and from Marvel's best-selling, most mainstream title:

File1242.jpg

Ugh, that GS #5 was not very good, IMHO. Anyone else think the art looked sub-standard to Andru's and Esposito's normal dependable style.

I did like the continuity weave with the Gwen Stacy appearance, but overall an uninspired story.

I though it was o.k., it was a story that helped a guy stop from taking his life...

so I thought it had some merit to it.

(thumbs u

Another pre-76 issue, and from Marvel's best-selling, most mainstream title:

File1242.jpg

Ugh, that GS #5 was not very good, IMHO. Anyone else think the art looked sub-standard to Andru's and Esposito's normal dependable style.

I did like the continuity weave with the Gwen Stacy appearance, but overall an uninspired story.

I though it was o.k., it was a story that helped a guy stop from taking his life...

so I thought it had some merit to it.

(thumbs u

Yeah, maybe it was the art more than the story. If you put in chronological order with the ASM stories of the time, it just seems out of place. Like it doesn't hold it's own.

I scanned that cover of the GS Spidey and accidentally printed it out. I taped it up on my kid's wall and it has stayed there as a poster for a solid 6 months. He's fond of it.

i dunno joe, putting aside a few obvious issues, a lot of hulks of that era featured fairly forgettable adversaries, this one less so, and what not and that cover is probably one of the best hulk covers during a multi-year stretch (which is perhaps not saying much)... i wasn't even aware of that book and I probably have a long box of BA hulks and have skimmed through perhaps hundreds of thousands of comics, so maybe it's overlooked (aside from the fact that I apparently collect incredibly randomly). not saying i've never seen it, but i would have bought it had i seen it in a dollar box in the NYC area!

not to mention, not that wrightson is really a "marvel artist", but when was his first marvel work?...ok, he did a couple of horror covers earlier than that, but is this the first and only time he did a marvel superhero? (ok, no, 10 or so years later he did the cover for Gargoyle #1, which I assume concerns Gargoyle from the Defenders)

in that respect it is a rare foray into marvel superheroes for mr. wrightson

He also did the cover for Captain Marvel 43

43-9.jpg

Hulk 197 is a tough book to find - there's a guy down here who buys all of them at shows. All of them. His license plate is HULK 197. A little intense, but what can you do.

maybe he just inked that CM cover? wiki has a list of his covers and it isn't on there. interesting story on 197, i believe. it does "feel" like i don't see that book much. sure, there are like 7 copies up on ebay now.

i dunno joe, putting aside a few obvious issues, a lot of hulks of that era featured fairly forgettable adversaries, this one less so, and what not and that cover is probably one of the best hulk covers during a multi-year stretch (which is perhaps not saying much)... i wasn't even aware of that book and I probably have a long box of BA hulks and have skimmed through perhaps hundreds of thousands of comics, so maybe it's overlooked (aside from the fact that I apparently collect incredibly randomly). not saying i've never seen it, but i would have bought it had i seen it in a dollar box in the NYC area!

not to mention, not that wrightson is really a "marvel artist", but when was his first marvel work?...ok, he did a couple of horror covers earlier than that, but is this the first and only time he did a marvel superhero? (ok, no, 10 or so years later he did the cover for Gargoyle #1, which I assume concerns Gargoyle from the Defenders)

43-9.jpg

Hulk 197 is a tough book to find - there's a guy down here who buys all of them at shows. All of them. His license plate is HULK 197. A little intense, but what can you do.

maybe he just inked that CM cover? wiki has a list of his covers and it isn't on there. interesting story on 197, i believe. it does "feel" like i don't see that book much. sure, there are like 7 copies up on ebay now.

High grade copies are next to impossible to find.

43-9.jpg

It says it was penciled by Milgrom.

The number of great DC BA horror covers is almost limitless, but this is one of my favorites. Maybe it's the voluptuous blonde...

Unexpected130.jpg

All great picks! I was always drawn to the "Darker" woman on the cover. lol

Then you probably like this one...

Unexpected134.jpg