• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #4 CGC 9.0 Sold on Ebay.

87 posts in this topic

So, I've been watching this and this copy ended today. What do you guys think. Should we start investing in Avengers #4? I think there are about 2 or 3 shill bids in this though. That sure is a big Price jump in a 9.0. (shrug)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200350064003&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&salenotsupported

Shilling??????????????

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=200350064003

You think that's high? try $25k for a 9.4

and buy what you like, don't buy comics for investment purposes. Anyway, if you were to buy for investment purposes right now Avengers #4 is a retarded choice, seeing as how it's at its peak.

You think that's high? try $25k for a 9.4

and buy what you like, don't buy comics for investment purposes. Anyway, if you were to buy for investment purposes right now Avengers #4 is a retarded choice, seeing as how it's at its peak.

Good God yes. I love Avengers 4, but I will be keeping my copy for awhile since it's about the only that I didn't pay insane money.

Glad I just picked up my permanent copy just two short days ago :cloud9:

My favourite book of the Silver Age, and have felt empty not owning one since I sold the White Mountain a few months back.

BTW that auction doesn't look suspicious in terms of shilling (shrug)

Let's watch the 9.2 going on CC and the 9.4 on CL and see where things are headed :wishluck:

Jim

I think that is a little bit high. And the bidder with 17 feedback may be a shill. But, I think this book is about to skyrocket. With Cap coming back to life and the film getting closer, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 9.0 sell for 10k in the near future.

7.0's I think have already passed the 1k mark. Won't be long now.

The real question is, how long will it take for the G.R.R. Avengers #4 to start climbing in price?

I think that is a little bit high. And the bidder with 17 feedback may be a shill. But, I think this book is about to skyrocket. With Cap coming back to life and the film getting closer, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 9.0 sell for 10k in the near future.

The real question is, how long will it take for the G.R.R. Avengers #4 to start climbing in price?

Yes, I was thinking the same about the guy with 17 and the guy with 61.

Well, I will be holding onto my copies for awhile and see how the trend goes.

A little high? Two years ago you couldn't give the book away at OSPG prices. This is really astonishing. It's a terrific book but not common by any means. Wow, I'm amazed at these prices.

A little high? Two years ago you couldn't give the book away at OSPG prices. This is really astonishing. It's a terrific book but not common by any means. Wow, I'm amazed at these prices.

Quick question...did you mean "not UNcommon"...?

Quick question...did you mean "not UNcommon"...?

Yes, I did. Sorry....just tired and multi tasking. Pretty common book.

I don't think Avengers 4 prices are coming back down. I believe that the Avengers are undergoing a market correction that brings their prices more in line with the other two 1960s Marvel team books, FF and X-men. Fortunately for me, I bought most of my collection before the prices sky-rocketed.

Oddly, issue 4 of the FF and issue 4 of the Avengers both bring back the other two of Timely's big three. And though the Avengers is clearly not on par with the FF, Captain America trumps the Sub-Mariner any day.

FF 4 in 9.0 goes for 7 to 8 grand and in 9.4 goes for 20k or so. I think that that is where Avengers 4 prices will stay.

As for being common, I don't think nice copies of Avengers 4 are common at all. I've been searching for a nice copy 9.0 and above with at least ow-w pages since 2006. White-paged Avengers 4 seem really rare. I've only seen a couple of lower graded ones.

Most high-grade copies that come up are off-white or worse and have, shall we say, tanning problems.

The 9.2 ow that's on Comicconnect is a pretty good example of this. I wouldn't bid on that book if you put a gun to my head. But its already at $6200 with 2 days left. And the 9.4 ow on Comiclink (a much much nicer book) is at $13,000 with 6 days left.

Of course, since I bought the bloody 9.0 book today, I sure hope I'm right.

lol

Well, that was quite a purchase John and I come from high grade Silver Age Marvels.

I sold a 9.2 copy a few years ago that was as white as the driven snow. It was just unreal. The inside pages were as new looking as the day the book was printed. The book fetched a GPA record at the time...about $4K IIRC which was almost double GPA at the time.

R.

Well at these prices I am really tempted to sell my 8.5 ow. (shrug)

Good time to sell (thumbs u

and by the way, when asking what the market holds for certain books...it's alway good to get advice from an unbiased source. Those with vested interest in this book are always going to say that either the "market is going to correct itself" or "the book is going to keep going up" or some such. To truly tell whether or not the future is kind to this issue, wait until the movie is over. Everyone makes the mistake of buying these books right during the movie hype starts... doh!

Well at these prices I am really tempted to sell my 8.5 ow. (shrug)

Good time to sell (thumbs u

and by the way, when asking what the market holds for certain books...it's alway good to get advice from an unbiased source. Those with vested interest in this book are always going to say that either the "market is going to correct itself" or "the book is going to keep going up" or some such. To truly tell whether or not the future is kind to this issue, wait until the movie is over. Everyone makes the mistake of buying these books right during the movie hype starts... doh!

Another spot on observation.

Yes, I was thinking the same about the guy with 17 and the guy with 61.

Well, I will be holding onto my copies for awhile and see how the trend goes.

At one time I used to think all suspicious looking bids were probably shills, but no longer. After years of buying and selling on eBay I believe the vast majority of these bids are from inexperienced buyers who are investors/speculators and simply don't understand how eBay auctions work and/or just get caught up in the "I can't let the other guy beat me" mindset. And of course there are plenty of immature people who bid for the heck of it and really have no intention of buying the item.

There have been numerous times in my own fairly high-dollar auctions where I see these crazy "suspicious" looking bids and have actually worried that others might think I was involved or wonder what was going on...so I can relate to the recent 9.4 Avengers #4 seller who is annoyed at all the shill bids and retractions. Not saying he is innocent, but I know I've never engaged in such shenanigans and certainly get my fair share of questionable bidders. :sumo:

Yeah, I remember a couple of years ago Dave had his CGC 8.5 for sale here on the boards asking a bargain price of $900 (to pay the taxman) - it sat for a week and ended up going for $750 if memory serves me well . . . :)

I've bought and sold 9 copies of this book in this past year, including a 9.0 White pager exactly one year ago for $2500. Obviously I would have never expected this kind of price for a 9.0.

I guess I should have held on to that one.