• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the deal with hoarding?

198 posts in this topic

For the most part, I buy comics to read as well as to collect. But it seems that whenever I start searching for comics to buy strictly as collectibles I inevitably look at books I already own. It's worse when looking for football cards to buy. I just always have this urge to buy the same ones I already own. I haven't allowed this hoarding mentality to take control yet, but it's been close a few times.

I'm curious...does anyone know where this hoarding mentality comes from? With millions of comics out there to buy, why do I want to buy ones I already own? What's the deal with that?

For the most part, I buy comics to read as well as to collect. But it seems that whenever I start searching for comics to buy strictly as collectibles I inevitably look at books I already own. It's worse when looking for football cards to buy. I just always have this urge to buy the same ones I already own. I haven't allowed this hoarding mentality to take control yet, but it's been close a few times.

I'm curious...does anyone know where this hoarding mentality comes from? With millions of comics out there to buy, why do I want to buy ones I already own? What's the deal with that?

OCD :takeit:

WEBHEAD

I've always been like that. I like buying new comics/collectibles but many times find myself with duplicates.

Right now I have a number of sealed Wayne Gretzky figures from 1983 (sort of like 12" GI Joe with clothes/accessories). And I am always looking for more decent pieces to add. Why? I don't even like Gretzky. I just have to have it.

I don't know if there is a good explanation. There's a scene in the film Conspiracy Theory where Mel Gibson's character tries to explain why he has so many copies of Catcher In The Rye. He can't really explain and just says he "has to buy one".

I get that way sometimes.

I've always been like that. I like buying new comics/collectibles but many times find myself with duplicates.

Right now I have a number of sealed Wayne Gretzky figures from 1983 (sort of like 12" GI Joe with clothes/accessories). And I am always looking for more decent pieces to add. Why? I don't even like Gretzky. I just have to have it.

I don't know if there is a good explanation. There's a scene in the film Conspiracy Theory where Mel Gibson's character tries to explain why he has so many copies of Catcher In The Rye. He can't really explain and just says he "has to buy one".

Interesting! As mentioned in another thread I have something like 15 copies of A Wizard of Earthsea. If I see an edition I don't have, I am compelled...

:o

If I could, I would own multiple copies of all my favorite books. I eventually want to own 3 copies of each book from Marvel Comics #1 to Marvel Mystery #13.

:angel:

R.

I acttually don't get the hoarding thing either. I don't really like to have duplicates in my collection, mainly because I figure if I sell the extra's I can buy another comic I don't have. The only exception I have to this so far, besides variants (because sadly I have to buy them if it's for the series I like), the only duplicates I have are for books I have in a slab and i may want to read/lend out the floppy again.

I've always wondered, besides wanting to hold to sell, why people get so many copies of the same book. I can see having a few copies of older GA or SA books, specially if they have special memories, but other than that, I guess it just isn't my thing.

I acttually don't get the hoarding thing either. I don't really like to have duplicates in my collection, mainly because I figure if I sell the extra's I can buy another comic I don't have.

That's exactly the way I see it.

I completely understand your Gretzky thing, whenever I go to a comic store or convention, for some reason I always have to look for a copy of Chamber of Darkness #4 (Conan-esque tryout drawn by Barry Smith). The thing is I'm not a big Barry Smith fan or a Conan fan. It's an issue I latched onto as a kid for some reason and never let go.

PM Calamerica for the full details. ;)

:signfunny:

at some point I stop, but if something is ridiculously cheap and in really nice shape, it's hard to pass sometimes

i hoarded copies of Spoltlight 32 when it was a dollar box book 15 years ago because I thought it was a cool 1st app and the price seemed ridiculous. if i can ever find where my multiples are, that hoarding move will turn out well.

I totally get hoarding. There is nothing that says collecting means only one each. I find myself continuously buying Harbinger #1.

Depending on the Price range of the book hoarding may be easier or more difficult though.

Don't get me wrong though..

Good Hoarding is different than going to the LCS and buying an entire stack of books straight off the new release shelf.

:signfunny:

Some issues I might have a HG copy and a low to mid grade reader.

When you're compulsively buying the same copy over and over to that extent I do not see the point