• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the deal with hoarding?

198 posts in this topic

Will Clark was a ballplayer's ballplayer...one of the last greats of the "clean" era....

You my friend, are a great human being. (thumbs u

He played the game the way it was supposed to be played. With eye black and a scowl.

My friends used to give me krap that Rafael Palmeiro was better than Clark (they both played at Miss. St, the US Olylmpic team, the Orioles and Rangers), always trying to get my goat saying Raffy was better :blahblah:. I listened to that junk all the way through high school ball when my teammates would poke at me for trying to imitate Clark's swing. Well, I feel total vindication now that old Raffy has been outed as a cheat and a liar. :sumo:

Best Will Clark story ever is about how his dog "Flash" came home 1 day with an old first baseman's glove in his mouth. And then a couple weeks later he came home with a new first baseman's glove in his mouth. The rest is history.

As for Will Clark: Those cards were worth alot to me buddy.

-----------------

Don Mattingly was better (in his prime). Now THOSE cards should be worth a fortune!

Don Mattingly was better (in his prime). Now THOSE cards should be worth a fortune!

+ infinity

My torrid bromance with Don Mattingly is twenty five years old this summer. Here's to you Donny Baseball!!!!!!

Will Clark was a ballplayer's ballplayer...one of the last greats of the "clean" era....

He played the game the way it was supposed to be played. With eye black and a scowl.

My friends used to give me krap that Rafael Palmeiro was better than Clark (they both played at Miss. St, the US Olylmpic team, the Orioles and Rangers), always trying to get my goat saying Raffy was better :blahblah:. I listened to that junk all the way through high school ball when my teammates would poke at me for trying to imitate Clark's swing. Well, I feel total vindication now that old Raffy has been outed as a cheat and a liar. :sumo:

Best Will Clark story ever is about how his dog "Flash" came home 1 day with an old first baseman's glove in his mouth. And then a couple weeks later he came home with a new first baseman's glove in his mouth. The rest is history.

Growing up in the Bay Area, my family was all "A's" this, and "A's" that....I couldn't stand it. I had only passing respect for McGwire, and couldn't STAND Canseco.

I was, am, and always will be a SF Giants fan, til the day I die. 1962, 1989, 2002 are forever burned into my heart. :(

And Barry Bonds ceased to be a Giant when he started cheating. So there.

Do I get a reward if I name the movie?

+ infinity

My torrid bromance with Don Mattingly is twenty five years old this summer. Here's to you Donny Baseball!!!!!!

I have a big collection of Mattingly stuff. Cards, magazines, baseballs. He was my favourite ballplayer when I was younger. I was recently looking around to get an autographed bat. Me and my dad used to go down to watch the Mariners play the Yankees once a year so I could see Mattingly. We also flew out to Toronto twice in the early 90's on a guys only trip to watch the Jays vs Yankees. Sadly I never made it to Yankee stadium.

Do I get a reward if I name the movie?

he was a great ball player and one of the few mlb players i met (when he was with dem o's).

j

Wow,talking baseball when baseball was still important. :grin: I was a big Mattingly and Clark fan. Shame Donny Baseball had so many injuries. No telling how far he could have gone. F you Wade Boggs. :devil:

RIP Kirby

Mattingly is a prime example of how you simply cannot project the future in sports and how a little injury can really change a career. The guy was a "sure fire" hall of famer after his first 6 or so seasons in the bigs, but the last half of his career was pretty average and I don't think the voters even gave him 5% for the Hall. This befuddles me because his numbers were pretty much on par with Jim Rice's (or would have been had he played another season or two, which he could have easily done), except that Rice got to DH a lot and Mattingly won a zillion gold gloves instead. Anti-Yankee bias I say.

OK, sorry, I forgot this was a comics board.

I've been trying to get back into watching baseball again and forgetting about all the negative steroid stuff. I used to really enjoy it when I was younger until all the steroid stuff started. I should stop talking about baseball in this thread and move it over to the mlb thread.

Hoarding would fall into an Axis 1 disorder as part of OCD. So the question really comes down to the motivation.

You work in mental health Bill?

I do and I've seen hoarders that make us collectors look like pussycats.

I dont hoard but if i did i dont know which book i would hoard (new thread?), maybe Marvel Two in One #51 :cloud9:

Hi Neil :hi:

No, I actually work in Banking but have studied mental health and my Mum is a private practice psychotherapist so it's rubbed off over the years lol. You're right true hoarders could make a flea market look orderly!

I've been trying to get back into watching baseball again and forgetting about all the negative steroid stuff. I used to really enjoy it when I was younger until all the steroid stuff started. I should stop talking about baseball in this thread and move it over to the mlb thread.

I can't really get into it unless I'm at a game. I'll watch Yank/Sox and maybe a Cub game or two. Now Sosa has been officially fingered for roids. That individual_without_enough_empathy Bud Selig has allowed this formerly great game to erode into the mess that it's in now. Roids didn't ruin baseball, Bud did.

Wow,talking baseball when baseball was still important. :grin: I was a big Mattingly and Clark fan. Shame Donny Baseball had so many injuries. No telling how far he could have gone. F you Wade Boggs. :devil:

RIP Kirby

Kirby Puckett...

:(

really, mattingly only had one real injury, but it was his back and he was never the same hitter again. slightly above average, but not for a first baseman, although the defense was still great.

Starter IMSM CGC set

Cal, I just caught this, but in your signature line you are only listed as No. 9 in the IMSB registry with all those copies?

Does someone have a 9.8 that beat you out, as I was surprised?

What you see is the Ranking of the "Registry Set: Marvel 1968 Starters". These are the First Issues of:

1) Captain America # 100( took over the numbering from Tales of Suspense # 99);

2) Iron Man/Subby the one-shot for that one month as Shellhead and Subby were in limbo;

3) Hulk # 102( took over the numbering from Tales to Astonish # 101);

4) Captain Savage # 1;

5) Captain Marvel # 1;

6) Doctor Strange # 169( took over the numbering of Strange Tales # 168);

7) Silver Surfer # 1;

8) Iron Man # 1;

9) Sub-Mariner # 1;

10) Nick Fury # 1

The IMSM is not a 'set" in itself.

I have a few candidates for the 9.8 possible 9.9 I will be sending in sometime soon.

Only TWO 9.8's and ONE 9.9. This iMSM is VERY hard to get in high-grade.

CAL :hi:

I have a few candidates for the 9.8 possible 9.9 I will be sending in sometime soon.

Only TWO 9.8's and ONE 9.9. This iMSM is VERY hard to get in high-grade.

CAL :hi:

A 9.9 1966 book? Holy!

Cal, I wish you the best on that, as this would be great to see.