• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the deal with hoarding?

198 posts in this topic

Well, this brings up a good point though. How many issues does it take to consider yourself a master hoarder? Is it more than just 2-4 copies, or anything above 1?

IMHO, it gets ridiculous when it starts going over a few copies to 20-50 copies. Then it comes across as if you don't want anyone to have "your book."

I wish I knew but I dont hoard comics...instead I hoard video games. I have 7 sealed copies of Double Dragon 2 for the NES. I have about 20 sealed Double Dragon 1's for the Sega Master System. I'll probably sell the SMS ones. I have some doubles of other games...but I use them as trade bait.

I have some doubles of other games...but I use them as trade bait.

But that makes a lot of sense using doubles of an item you know is in demand so that you can get OTHER items and not have to use cash.

True hoarding comes from a compulsion. There is a level of anxiety that can only be relieved by acquiring and holding onto something (or things.) Generally hoarders have excessive quantities of something and if anyone hints at or tries to have them get rid of said items their anxiety level will increase. Hoarding would fall into an Axis 1 disorder as part of OCD. So the question really comes down to the motivation. Are you buying multiples because you want to make a buck then it's "investing" if you're buying them because you can't stop yourself it's an issue lol.

Well it could be worse you could hoard EVERYTHING. This is a problem I have. I like something I collect it and collect it and collect it. Now from being a store owner and store employee in the past, I bought literally hundreds of thousands of books and magazines and collections of every description. I could not pass up a deal. Being a female and easy to chat with I would have guys literally give me their collections or sell them dirt cheap. "My girl says they have to go but shops won't buy them because they aren't worth squat, do you want them?" "You have always been so sweet to me, I am culling junk out of my collection and know you collect adult titles could you use these?" "Hey I found 5 boxes fo Anime stuff in my basement I must have got with a collection along the line. I know you like Anime. Want them?" So I had roomfulls of long and short boxes and stack upon stacks of comics, toys,ephemra,collectibles of every description. When I got out of the store owning business I was stuck sort of. What is the sense in keeping a warehouse of comics when you don't even know what is in 90% of the boxes? So I callled shop owner friends to pick through anything that wasn't in a genre I actually liked/read. And sold them by the long box full super duper cheap. AND I still had a warehouse full. I started collecting other stuff and now to this day I have multiple storage units in different states and a house FULL.

Luckily (or unluckily) I married a guy with the same problem. I watch those shows where Oprah or someother tv persona goes to a victim..uhmm lucky joe's house and gets rid of all their "junk" and cleans the stuff out. I would slam the door in their faces.

Our hoarding makes us rather recession proof. Need extra cash? I just review the collection and pick one to sell. Collections of Beatles newspaper clippings? $800,Old Playboys $1,500 (for about 35 of them and not the super-old ones which I kept), my Kiss collection of 5 tour books $600, my Liddle Kiddles $1,200.

My only worry is if anything ever happens to my husband and I (like we are crushed in a tragic MOTU/Transformers avalanche), the kids will just have a big ole cheapo garage sale and sell stuff like my $1,500 LOTR display for $5. I cringe at the thought of my cosplay dresses and gothic lolita gear which cost mucho bucks on a thrift store rack. Or **Gack choking at the thought** they think my Jeff Smith Stupid Stupid Rat Creatures signed display is garbage.

BUT all that being said..collecting too many (I know how many is too many really?) of one single comic book issue is a little nutty. Like I know investors who thought buying 100's of copies of a Lady Death issue were a good investment. But they weren't buying EVERY copy of a single issue because they just wanted to have them all. I have uncracked cases of comics from diamond BUT that is like old store stock. If someone was driven to own every know copy of a single issue it would be to me a little wack.

And from a self admitted hoarding authority that is saying a lot. Wouldn't it be weird of someone had a compulsion to buy like every issue of Marvel New Universe DP7 #1 and have them all slabbed? Even I would think that was crazy.

Nothing good. I sold all the good a long time ago. They just weren't worth cracking open. Diamond had an annoying habit of sending me back damaged merchandise when I returned damaged merchandise. I was picky about condition as far as new comics so I would not accept say a box with a crushed corner because most of the comics would have a corner ding. I would send that box back and in return get a box with a smushed side, or opposite corner ding. This was back when Diamond had all these stupid requirments about what a store owner of a small shop could or could not buy. If I wanted to buy the hot titles I would be forced, essentially, to buy dogs along with them. Dogs I didn't bother with. Everynow and then I would have a wacked out investor who would say want 100 copies of some hot girl comic to get a dealer's premium or in extreme cases 500 copies of such and such to get a platinum 1 3/4 cover variant nonsense. I had a habit of letting best customers store in my warehouse. When I closed up shop most people picked up their stuff. One customer donated his entire load to the boyscouts (which killed me because he had many many multiple of really good books I would've liked to had his investments were not he had a good eye) Some of the better books I sold singles on Ebay and Yahoo auctions. Leaves me with a bunch of image and stupid nobody really wants.

My husband and I often donate boxes of comics to children's charities at Christmas time with child friendly titles (no girlies or extremely violent titles) That is a good way to get rid of say old Teen titans and Marvel New Universe books. We feel that it not only gives a kid something to open on Christmas day when they might not get a present but may entice children into the hobby as well. Plus hopefully,giving a kid a comic books makes old Wertham squirm in his grave.

Well, this brings up a good point though. How many issues does it take to consider yourself a master hoarder? Is it more than just 2-4 copies, or anything above 1?

IMHO, it gets ridiculous when it starts going over a few copies to 20-50 copies. Then it comes across as if you don't want anyone to have "your book."

I hoard a few issues. SA Subby 6 & 8, FF 51, Batman 400,Conan 10 &275. Probably a few more. I have dropped some of my OCD to concentrate on actually purchasing something to be proud of later this summer. lol

Yeah if you started thinking it's your book and you must have them all to protect them from strangers wanting to defile them by reading them, touching them, and *gasp* sniffing the ink off their pages...you need meds ASAP

But I have a few times gotten angry when I have given a person one of my collectibles as a gift and they mistreated it. When I first moved out of state, an internet friend let me stay with her for a few weeks while I got my new apartment ready. She helped me move a few things and helped with arrangements. She was a big Bettie Page fan so I gave her a few prize items from my personal Bettie collection a full color 1950's book and the original Playboy issue that featured her. Worth collectively around $900-1,200 in their condition(the color book was really really rare). I told her they were valuable I didn't write the prices on the back of the bags and boards or anything. I figured it was a good gesture on my part to show thanks. When I visited her later I found she had torn out the centerfold from the playboy and tacked it up on the corkboard in her computer room and the magazine was unbagged laying on her coffee table spread open with a soda can on top of it. I was realllllly livid. I tried to explain it to her and she was just oblivious that these things were worth 3 of her car payments. I did not want to act mad but inside I was steaming! Don't get me wrong I actually read comics and play with my action figures..but I wouldn't use a comic book as a coaster

Batman 400

That's right, I totally forgot you were into this issue. You had that WTB thread and the fellow that had a 9.4 never got back to you.

Have you seen all the 9.8s that have been selling on Heritage?