• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the deal with hoarding?

198 posts in this topic

Oh, I only had four or five copies of Harby 1 - it was the Rais that took up half my long-box.

Did someone ask for a Harby #1 hoard pic......?

No, but has that ever stopped you?

:D

-slym

Very imPRESSive. Matt does super work!

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Oh, I only had four or five copies of Harby 1 - it was the Rais that took up half my long-box.

Did someone ask for a Harby #1 hoard pic......?

No, but has that ever stopped you?

:D

-slym

of course not. ;)

Unfortunately, the Valiant pre-Unity boxes are, once more, buried. I'll have to take a snap next time they're free.

:)

Mattingly is a prime example of how you simply cannot project the future in sports and how a little injury can really change a career. The guy was a "sure fire" hall of famer after his first 6 or so seasons in the bigs, but the last half of his career was pretty average and I don't think the voters even gave him 5% for the Hall. This befuddles me because his numbers were pretty much on par with Jim Rice's (or would have been had he played another season or two, which he could have easily done), except that Rice got to DH a lot and Mattingly won a zillion gold gloves instead. Anti-Yankee bias I say.

OK, sorry, I forgot this was a comics board.

Very true. And the exact same was said about Clark. I don't remember the order of the injuries but Clark injured his elbow at one point, and that became a debilitating, nagging injury for the remainder of his career. Then came knee injuries I think. The injuries kept him from being a 400 home run, 3000 hit player that he should have been. It would've been tough for him to get in still IMHO but those numbers would've been helpful. That, and the fact that he was known league-wide as perhaps the best clutch hitter in the game during his prime. Still holds the NLCS record I think, batting .650 with a couple of dingers to basically single-handedly stomp the Cubbies and put he Giants into the World Series. Mark Grace (another of my favs) had a pretty darn good NLCS too if I recall.

Will Clark's career went down a bit differently though. He was actually a pretty good hitter right up until he retired ..a guy who generally hit over .300, 15-20 homers, etc. Basically his injuries knocked 5-10 homers a year off his totals and 10-25 games. But those numbers made him look like a slap hitter in 2000 in the middle of the steroid era. Had numbers not been so distorted by steroids, making a guy like him look like a "weak" hitter because EVERYONE was hitting 20 homers, he probably would have played longer and been considered more as a potential HOFer. Actually, his numbers are better than Jim Rice's, except Rice did a little more compiling, which Clark could have easily done given he hit .319 his last year. I don't think he would have made 3000 hits though even if he had been healthier and played a bit longer.

The Yanks owned him, however, in the 96 and 98 ALDS.

Yeah, but most of what you're saying would indicate that there are fewer of the IMSM out there and we all know there are tons and tons of them. Were they a MH II palette find or something? I know back when I used to buy stacks of SA 15 years ago it would invariably be a toss-in book to sweaten the deal, that or an FF 48, because so many dealers had so many extras of them sitting around. Was this just a New York thing with local dealers here having gotten boxes of these 25 years earlier illegally buying newstand returns and what not?

The IMSM was also under the radar during it's display life. Not every comic reader knew about it at the time, including me. As Marvel just obtained permission to expand their number of titles, the IMSM was set back to the end of the line of titles for many kids to buy. This may have led to a lot of dealer's returns. As the IMSM was a true "one-shot" I can reason that some kids did not think the Issue was important enough to buy. I did not have enough money to get him as my allowance used to be a $1.00 per month and recall having to put the IMSM back on the spinner rack. This event has led to what has happened to this very day - I want to buy all I can.""

Yeah, but most of what you're saying would indicate that there are fewer of the IMSM out there and we all know there are tons and tons of them. Were they a MH II palette find or something? I know back when I used to buy stacks of SA 15 years ago it would invariably be a toss-in book to sweaten the deal, that or an FF 48, because so many dealers had so many extras of them sitting around. Was this just a New York thing with local dealers here having gotten boxes of these 25 years earlier illegally buying newstand returns and what not?

I have heard stories over the years about how the IMSM was this "warehouse find" here, there, almost everywhere. No one story has ever been confirmed or proven to me. However because so many comic folks kept perpetuating the stories of IMSM as the warehouse comic, I eventually believed it myself.

But that did not stop me. I started hoarding them anyway. It was not until 2003 that I can recall that I was getting outbid on them on the Bay.

People started GIVING me their copies of IMSM, trades, etc. Several anonymous covers showed up when I had that shared office in Oxnard, CA. No note, no nothing.

A few months later a box showed up and had about 55 COVERLESS copies. These coverless interiors are in superior state. Again, no note, no call, nothing. A different sending postmark, this time from Texas.

When you look at the difference between the IMSM and IM 1, you will see many more uber copies of the IM 1. Yes, many more IM 1 has been graded, but the higher percentage of ubers goes to the IM 1. The IMSM CGC 9.0 seems to dominate the Census, as this may be a result of a lot of "misses" by submitters who thought they had a 9.4.

I had so many IMSMs that I started selling anything below the 8.0. This led to Bank of the under 8.0 copies. Still having more than I thought was possible, I started selling anything below 9.0.

This IMSM has done well for me so far.

CAL the KING of IMSM

I had so many IMSMs that I started selling anything below the 8.0. This led to Bank of the under 8.0 copies. Still having more than I thought was possible, I started selling anything below 9.0.

Then why are you still buying copies below 8.0?

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&userid=calamerica-collectibles&completed=1&all=1&rows=25&sort=3&_rdc=1

I used to have an IMSM #1 that was slabbed..it met with an unfortunate...accident. I should post the results of that here someday it was actually kind of funny! Many copys of it have come and gone out of my collection. I do not exactly recall why it was so plentiful in the mid- late eigthies but it was fairly common in my store at that time.I can imagine if it is the only comic a person collected what effect that would have on someone you showed a collection to!

"What are your hobbies?"

"Oh I collect comic books!"

REALLY! How cool. I used to have a collection myself! I just loved the old EC and precode horror books, I had a whole run of them. What titles do you collect?"

"I collect IMSM #1's"

"What else?"

"Nothing else that is all. Want to see my collection?"

"Nah, thats OK I have seen that one before."

BTW I am just kidding I am sure collect other lovely comic books right?

he's protecting the value of his investments by scooping up available copies when they might otherwise sell too cheaply on ebay. it's like the condo association buying a condo at foreclosure rather than running the risk that someone will get it for pennies on the dollar, devluing everyone else's condo.

I'm curious...does anyone know where this hoarding mentality comes from? With millions of comics out there to buy, why do I want to buy ones I already own? What's the deal with that?

Yeah, tell me about it.

I've been hoarding copies of this book:

action__1s.jpg

I used to have an IMSM #1 that was slabbed..it met with an unfortunate...accident. I should post the results of that here someday it was actually kind of funny! Many copys of it have come and gone out of my collection. I do not exactly recall why it was so plentiful in the mid- late eigthies but it was fairly common in my store at that time.I can imagine if it is the only comic a person collected what effect that would have on someone you showed a collection to!

"What are your hobbies?"

"Oh I collect comic books!"

REALLY! How cool. I used to have a collection myself! I just loved the old EC and precode horror books, I had a whole run of them. What titles do you collect?"

"I collect IMSM #1's"

"What else?"

"Nothing else that is all. Want to see my collection?"

"Nah, thats OK I have seen that one before."

BTW I am just kidding I am sure collect other lovely comic books right?

All my IMSM's comprise about 2% of my total collection.CAL who knows what is transpiring here( again *sigh*)

Well that is good to know. Transpiring? Don't worry I am not angling for your comics or anything. Sorry I just wondered from the nature of your response before if that was ALL you collected. Like I said if I person just collected just one comic book issue and only one issue ..they would have..well issues lol. You have to admit collecting comic book is not like collecting bars of gold. You show someone a roomfull of gold bars they are impressed even though they all look the same. You show someone a roomfull of the same issue of 1 comic book that is sort of strange. Like someone collecting one version of GI Joe,one baseball card, duplicates of the same coin. BUT it is different if they only represent 2% of your collection. I know I started collecting an odd issue just because it was the only comic book that survived my Mom's destruction of my childhood comics and action figure collection(Sure she kept my prom dress and homecoming gown and every D.O.J. dress I ever wore as a child. but GAVE AWAY all my comic books and every single mego I owned..what was she thinking?Someday I would fit back into a size 6. Or old clothes would be collectibles and my Super-hero figures were trash?)In a box of old books I had one comic book left. It was battered and hanging on by a staple. I used to draw in pencil over the panels and add what I thought the book was lacking *smiles*. It brought back a lot of memories so I was driven to find it in a "collectible" condition. It was hard to find so I have like 3-4.

Are those a personal collection or what..I am glad I am not the only one who has multiples. What other titles/ objects/bits of string do you collect?

I collect Victorian/Platinum/Golden Age/Silver Age comics.

The SA are mostly Marvel Superheroes with a concentration of:

ASM

Iron Man

IMSM

TTA

TOS

some FF, Howard the Ducks, etc.

CAL the collector

I used to have a KICK ASM collection! It was nearly 100% complete! I only lacked a few issues in the 40's and 60's. Before I could buy they last few issues my husband got laid off at work and we had a daughter getting married ect ect leads to what do I have that will bring in money really quickly certainly not old prom dresses? Then well, once you sell the AF15 and ASM1 you sell a few keys to make the quick cash and then the thrill is lost. I guess having had them once was an accomplishment in itself. i did enjoy reading them though! I did sneak out the uncoded issues for my "no Code" collection though. Which is different from my pre-code collection if you get my meaning.

he's protecting the value of his investments by scooping up available copies when they might otherwise sell too cheaply on ebay. it's like the condo association buying a condo at foreclosure rather than running the risk that someone will get it for pennies on the dollar, devluing everyone else's condo.

I don't sell ALL the ones below 9.0...just the occasional selling to make room for others...

CAL still a buyer

IMG_1498.jpg

:cloud9:

:roflmao:

Toldja they were common. ;) I'll trade you my 2s for 3s. lol

One just sold for 99 cents plus $4 shipping. ;)

I sold about 5 of 'em in 1999 for $25 each.

That's also when I bought my Turtles #1...in an eBay auction...for $66 shipped.

Crazy world, huh?