• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the deal with hoarding?

198 posts in this topic

IMG_1176-1.jpg

:cloud9:

Any body on the boards happen to have hoarded a bunch of MIRACLEMAN or Eagle comics JUDGE DREDD comics like this they might be willing to part with? :wishluck: And ''RockMyAmadeus'' what's so special about this issue? and what do you think is the average grade on all those books? And on the question of hoarding, I only do it with certain issue's, like anything MIRACLEMAN, something I think will become REAL desireable & valuable in the future. Probably sell off the extra books and keep one or two copies of each issue.

I would have to check to see the exact amounts, But I have roughly 50 copies each of Miracleman #1,2 and 3..PM me

I hope you got my PM! (thumbs u and does no one here have any Eagle Judge Dredds? I mean the covers alone are worth just getting!

Starter IMSM CGC set

Cal, I just caught this, but in your signature line you are only listed as No. 9 in the IMSB registry with all those copies?

Does someone have a 9.8 that beat you out, as I was surprised?

What other titles/ objects/bits of string do you collect?

:roflmao:

Sorry, that was funny with the "objects/bits of string" comment.

Well I could have said scraps of aluminum foil but since scrap metal prices went up people are selling their balls of foil. String has not gone up so much in value with the economy the way it is!

I am not going to post any pictures, as I do not want to be judged, nor do I wanted anyone to know which books I have 15-20 copies of.

I have to say that the bulk of my hoarding is not intentional, it has just happened over time. Putting aside ebay, I have probably gone to an average of 2 shows a year for the last 15 years. I have probably bought an average of 1.5 short box per show. If I see some dealer has 5 copies of some book at a tremendously great price I don't have qualms with buying all 5. If this happens every couple of years for the same issue, it all adds up.

I am not going to post any pictures, as I do not want to be judged, nor do I wanted anyone to know which books I have 15-20 copies of.

I have to say that the bulk of my hoarding is not intentional, it has just happened over time. Putting aside ebay, I have probably gone to an average of 2 shows a year for the last 15 years. I have probably bought an average of 1.5 short box per show. If I see some dealer has 5 copies of some book at a tremendously great price I don't have qualms with buying all 5. If this happens every couple of years for the same issue, it all adds up.

Hey, if they are books that means something to you, or you see value in them, I wouldn't worry about being judged. It's part of being a collector that sometimes we find those books that appeal to us more than others.

That's why I have 5-10 copies of certain books, plus I have to divide this collection up later on between twin boys so there HAS to be multiples sometimes.

Well when you buy big loads of comics and most of them are not for the most part very valuable. Sometimes you end up with a huge bunch of extras. Sometimes it's stuff you bought for a few gems and the drek ends up laying around. Six months later you are using short boxes as a footstool a wonder what IS in all these OTHER boxes. I found a box of EC reprints the other night. The box was close by and I didn't have to lift anything just the lid. I went Hmmm these are cool. We decided to bag them up. My husband and I have no idea where they came from!!

You work in mental health Bill?

I do and I've seen hoarders that make us collectors look like pussycats.

My mom has Bipolar, and man you should see her buy stuff. The amount of books she has is quite honestly just scary. Whenever she starts to go a bit manic, out comes the credit card and bang, there goes a couple of thousand pounds in one go.

Not that she stops buying in her better periods, just not as much :insane:

My mom has always been a hoarder. My father left us in the lurch when I was 5 and we struggled for many years. Because of that my mom never takes anything for granted. She's one of those ladies that when the "I can't believe its not butter" runs out, she sticks the tub in the dishwasher and keeps it. Why? Because it's free tupperware I suppose. I have told her for many years that she has got to start getting rid of things. She literally has closets full of clothes she hasn't worn in 20 years. But she keeps them anyway. One time I went to visit her and found some of my clothes from when I was in junior high. That was 18 years ago!! I was like "mom, throw this krap away!". I'm starting to wear here down a little but for someone who lives alone, with just her 2 cats, she's got more stuff than anybody I've ever seen. But she's my mom so I love her anyway. (thumbs u

I almost forgot but along with hockey, my childhood sport(s) of choice was baseball. I grew up in the late 80's and Will "The Thrill" Clark was absolutely my idol. I don't know how many Will Clark baseball cards I had but I know I had pages and pages of the exact same card. It would be nothing for me to have 100 copies of a single card. And to think that before the internet some of those cards were actually worth something.

well, i wouldn't say the various books i have 15-20 copies of necessarily have any deep meaning to me, I like all sorts of comics. a little while back one of my LCS was putting out a new stack of 9.2 - 9.6 25 cnt cover price comics (I won't go into which ones) that they seemingly had endless multiples of, selling them for a buck a piece. i found it very hard to resist buying multiple copies of the same issues over and over again because, well, the books all ranged from $10 - $20 in OPG (and legitmately sold for $5-$10 on ebay when I'd put them up...though sometimes it would take a while) and it's neat buying 35 year old books in that kind of shape for that little. obviously the books didn't fit into whatever sold at that store and I know they don't bother with ebay except for more expensive stuff than that. not to mention, i'm a greedy pig and wanted to make sure to snag them before someone else did!

i think most of those will clark cards were worthless before the internet became a big deal

i feel bad for folks who hoarded mark mcgwire olympic cards in 1998 and paid the going rate for them. i immediately traded mine to my old LCS for a $100 credit, along with my marino and elway cards for another $100 or so credit, figuring those cards would never be worth more than then.

i think most of those will clark cards were worthless before the internet became a big deal

i feel bad for folks who hoarded mark mcgwire olympic cards in 1998 and paid the going rate for them. i immediately traded mine to my old LCS for a $100 credit, along with my marino and elway cards for another $100 or so credit, figuring those cards would never be worth more than then.

Oh, no doubt. But in 1986 or 87, going to the card shop and plunking down $10 bucks for his Fleer RC. When you're a kid (I was about 10 years old at that time) that was alot of money for a single baseball card. I remember drooling over the 1960's cards in the cases. I recall a 60's Willie Mays I bought for maybe $25 dollars. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I held onto it for years. Eventually, the internet boomed and availability was everywhere and I realized my Willie Mays card was at best a PSA 4 and not worth half of what I paid for it 15 years earlier.

As for Will Clark: Those cards were worth alot to me buddy. :sumo:lol Of course I find it completely absurd that long after his retirement the card companies are still stuffing packs with Clark autographed and Clark memorabilia cards. WTF is that all about? I have to pay $100 bucks for a Will Clark card that was released 5 years after he retired because it has a silver stamp on it that says 1 of 10 and there's a teeny piece of one of the hundreds of jersey's he wore at one point. I'm thinking no.