• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some MIRACLEMAN questions.

33 posts in this topic

A cupple Questions, 1. Is MM#15 in 9.8 more rare and sought after then a MM#22 in the same grade? are MM#23 & #24 the most sought after? 2.And is there any issue that is harder to find in high grade over any other? 3.And what type of paper did Eclipse use on the later issue's to make them so ''crinkly''? 4. If nobody owned the rights to MARVELMAN at the time, how could they have published new storeis in WARRIOR magazine?

I have the no.2 set in the registry...

1. Yes, more sought after, No, in terms of numbers graded at 9.8. If you are talking raw numbers, the print run of no.15 was less than no.22. Neither book, however, is "rare".

MM no.23 & MM no.24 are not quite as sought after as no.15 but are certainly getting there. Both easily had lower print-runs tha no.15. Both are difficult to find in 9.8 and very expensive now to buy. Certainly more expensive now than no.15 - this has changed in the last 2 years (I should know). There are just three no.23s in 9.8.

2. Quite a lot of the mid-run issues were hard to get in 9.8 for a period but most can be found now and prices have dropped recently since most of us aren't competing any more. Previously no.18 and no. 21 were hard in 9.8 due to black covers but there seems to be a few now.

3. My copies aren't crinkly?

4. Dez Skinn assumed he had the rights. But this is a looooooooooooong story....

1. Is MM#15 in 9.8 more rare and sought after then a MM#22 in the same grade?

I'm not sure which is harder to find in HG. It's certainly harder to find the later issues of the series.

But, 15 is the "big book" of the series.

are MM#23 & #24 the most sought after?

Again, 15 is "the book" to have (not inlcuding the Blue/Gold/2D books). But, 23 and 24 are the toughest to find.

3.And what type of paper did Eclipse use on the later issue's to make them so ''crinkly''?

No clue. I'll defer to someone else.

4. If nobody owned the rights to MARVELMAN at the time, how could they have published new storeis in WARRIOR magazine?

They were able to because nobody owned the rights. I think you may have been trying to ask a different question.

And, here's the quick rundown on the "top" MM books (not including the trades or Warrior mags):

1. MM 3D Special (2D version)

2. MM #1 Gold

3. MM #1 Blue

4. MM #15

5. MM #24

6. MM #23

7. MM #16

8. MM #17

9. MM #14

10. MM #13

Ewan beat me to the punch.

A truer MM fan there never was. (worship)

Thanks Chris :) Hope all well.

The 3D 2D has still alluded me despite my best efforts for 3 years. There are now 4 known copies -

1 owned by a UK collector, no.92 /100

1 owned by Michagan State University (the one Chris found)

1 sold on eBay US in 2002 for around $150 (from memory)

1 owned by Al Stoltz (reported in the article "MiracleMan 2-D Copy Discovered!" published in "Scoop" 15th February 2008).

Neither the UK collector nor Al would sell their copies. Don't blame them!

I have, however, found a huge number of Miracleman stuff in comic fanzines - an ongoing project I'll eventually publish....

It has eluded me as well. Despite many cons of opening every single MM 3D I could find. Closest I've been is the xerox copy from MSU. I'm pretty sure I still have that (I think I sent you a copy of the copy, yes?).

I've commented to Al a few times on his.

The UK and eBay copies are definitely different? So, four copies! That's crazy considering only a few years back the only one we knew of was the eBay copy from your recollection.

As much as I'd love to have one, I think I'd be just as thrilled if you ended up with one.

Still kinda salty that your name didn't get put in OS with mine. :(

If we focus just on comics (so no fanzines or memorabilia) my top 10 rarities would be as folllows -

1. 3D 2D (4 copies)

huge gap

2. Marvel Super Heroes 388 <20

3. Marvel Super Heroes 387 <30

4. Blue Edition <50

5. Gold Edition <50

6. Daredevils 7 <100

7. A1 Sketchbook MM/KM cover <500

huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge gap

8. no.23

9. no.24

10. no.15

Some of the fanzines I've found are <5 copies rare I believe.

Hi Ewan,

Are you saying there are only 20 or 30 issues of Marvel Super-Heroes 387 and 388 at all? Or that you own? Or that you personally have accounted for??? (Also, did you ever get my PM about UK books I'm seeking?)

Jonathan

Hi Ewan,

Are you saying there are only 20 or 30 issues of Marvel Super-Heroes 387 and 388 at all? Or that you own? Or that you personally have accounted for??? (Also, did you ever get my PM about UK books I'm seeking?)

Jonathan

The numbers are based on about 8 years research and tracking via ebay and other channels.

Therefore, I guess what I'm saying is there are 20-30 known copies - (as Gerber judged US Golden Age comics). I'm sure there are more out there but they're unlikely to ever come to market.

388 is certainly rarer than 387. Both rare than Daredevils 7.

We never know absolute figures with comics. It's an informed guess - and of course numbers evolve with time.

Another example, we know the Gold Edition had 400 copies done - but there are also 3 types of the Gold edition. Potentially then there's 400+ out there - but based on availability I estimate there's probably much less.

Open to other theories!

The 3D 2D has still alluded me despite my best efforts for 3 years. There are now 4 known copies -

1 owned by Al Stoltz (reported in the article "MiracleMan 2-D Copy Discovered!" published in "Scoop" 15th February 2008).

I have, however, found a huge number of Miracleman stuff in comic fanzines - an ongoing project I'll eventually publish....

Mmmm....3d 2d...:cloud9:

I've been looking for that book for 10 years. I remember the 2002 eBay copy....I wasn't willing to spend $150 on it then. ooops.

I have Laser Eraser & Pressbutton #1 "3D" in 2D....I would be willing to bet that cat yronwode or dean mullaney would have an idea where the rest of the MM 2ds are...but I wouldn't be surprised if they were destroyed in the '86 or '93 floods.

What really kills me is that I lived only 100 or miles from Guerneville for all those years, and could have easily gone up and bought them out...oh well.

You've got one (or more)?

Only ordered 1 when it came out (wish it was the gold edition, but at the time both were a lot of money), I'm the original owner. Be aware that the early print run that included these had a printers crease on the cover.

OOOO BUMMER! :tonofbricks: I too have encounterd the DREDDED ;) cover crease, Is your's visable? (looks like a lightning strike) ''or'' only visible at certain angles? And can any of you tell me why Todd Mcfarlane thinks he owns MM? I heard it had something to do with buying Eclipse Comics and it's charactors or something?

There was a thread that covered the Miracle man legal issues here. I haven't pulled my copy out in a while so I'd have to check.
Can someone give me a link? Thank you.

Mmmm....3d 2d...:cloud9:

I've been looking for that book for 10 years. I remember the 2002 eBay copy....I wasn't willing to spend $150 on it then. ooops.

How much is the 3D 2D Special going for these days?