• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking To Identify Important Covers & Stories

23 posts in this topic

I am looking to identify specific books with covers or stories that are either historically important/symbolic or simply completely strange/humorous (i.e., double entendre covers).

By historically important/symbolic I am referring to books that reflect covers and stories that truly represent the culture of the time, and reflect how that culture has changed over the years. For example, how have comics dealt with sex, race, drugs, war, terrorism, etc?

I have done a lot of this work already but the boards are awash with substantive knowledge and I would be foolish not to take advantage of it. If you can post a picture of the cover, that would be great. If you do not have the cover available and can simply refer me to the title and issue, that is fine as well.

Feel free to suggest anything and everything, but please explain why you are doing so in order for me to consider whether that is what I am looking to catalogue.

As the purpose of this effort extends over all comic ages, I will be cross-posting this request in the other forum sections as well. No need to repeat posts. I will review all of them.

Thanks! (thumbs u

There are some obvious ones like the Green Lantern/Green Arrow Speedy drug issues during the adams run. Is there some way for you to provide a list of what you have to avoid redundancy?

I would argue that clearly, many of the Golden Age War covers were blatantly racist against asians (with the exaggerated skin colors and hideous faces); which was obviously propaganda efforts from the artists/publishers at the time.

This book fits your criteria. Everything you've listed is in this series. Sex, race, drugs, war, terrorism, it's all there.

Or, are you looking for something more along these lines:

The central figure (robed, Maggie?) appears to be flipping off the viewer. She's not, it's just the way she's holding her cigarette, but...

O.K. taking that hand position one step further into "wild guess" territory: Take a close look at how the middle finger appears to be parting the crease in the Super Heroine's (Hopey?) sleeve. That could be read as an allusion to Maggie and Hopey's relationship. Or, it could be nothing at all. Only Jamie Hernandez could tell you for sure.

To echo argo23's question: Why are you looking for this information?

loveandrockets.jpg

When an issue of Mad Magazine had a raised middle finger on the cover, Gaines sent a personal apology to every person who wrote to complain about it.

mad166-50.jpg

This book fits your criteria. Everything you've listed is in this series. Sex, race, drugs, war, terrorism, it's all there.

Or, are you looking for something more along these lines:

The central figure (robed, Maggie?) appears to be flipping off the viewer. She's not, it's just the way she's holding her cigarette, but...

O.K. taking that hand position one step further into "wild guess" territory: Take a close look at how the middle finger appears to be parting the crease in the Super Heroine's (Hopey?) sleeve. That could be read as an allusion to Maggie and Hopey's relationship. Or, it could be nothing at all. Only Jamie Hernandez could tell you for sure.

To echo argo23's question: Why are you looking for this information?

loveandrockets.jpg

The superheroine is Penny Century, not Hopey.

Wartime propoganda:

greatcomics3vg-f.jpg

In the story, Futuro's assistants are truth, justice, and liberty (IIRC). At one point, the Nazis shoot down and kill truth, but justice and liberty prevail. There's also a great bit where a demon says something like, "I've eaten lizards and frogs, but I can't stand the taste of that rotten dictator."

The hippie era should be adequately chronicled with comics like the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and the like.

Also, a lot of romance covers show, not necessarily historical events, but such things as fashions, hairstyles, automobiles, and even occasionally movie marquees that are very topical. (PM me if you want me to send you a bunch of them, unsorted.)

Why do you want to do this?

I am not doing it for any diabolical reasons that would lead to the overthrow of the free, or even Communist, world. I assure you of that! There is no master plan to re-create some form of new world order!!! :insane:

Here is the reason why I've been collecting covers and stories. This lecture is to be delivered on Saturday, July 25, 2009, at the San Diego Comic-Con.

6:30 - 7:30 From Cave Art To Superheroes: Comic Books & Social Commentary. Join Mark S. Zaid, Esq., owner of EsquireComics.com, a co-founder of the Network of Disclosure and an Advisor to the Overstreet Comic Book Price and Grading Guides, for an educational and humorous interactive visual arts presentation tracing the historical creation and development of comic books and their characters, and particularly how comics addressed social issues of the day (including such topics as war, sex, civil rights, women's liberation, politics, censorship, violence, and terrorism). Room 10.

These boards are a great resource for information and I want to make sure I haven't missed anything important.

If you plan on attending the SD Con, please do try to put this program on your calendar. It offers a nice segway into the planned CGC forum dinner. :hi:

In fact, this educational program is being co-sponsored by CGC and the NOD. (thumbs u