• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time for a pressing anectdote . . .

104 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, through a series of PM's and helpful advice and thoughts from other respected Board Members, it is clear that this botched-up press job was not an isolated case, but appears to be a pattern and practice of the seller. Consequently, in all good conscience, I have to disclose the "presser" in question: bhhooks. Sorry Brian, you have been a friend here on the boards, but you cannot willfully damage books and then resell them without disclosure. :sumo:

It's one thing to press test books and throw them away, and it's quite another thing to press them and resell them without disclosure. The severity of the misrepesentation is not increased (or decreased) by the quality of the press job. As most of you already know, I do not personally believe in pressing books for monetary gain, and I only condone the practice under bona fide restorative or conservative circumstances.

Well not to get in the middle of a thread that is likely destined for either a spectacular flame-out or a quick yank by a moderator...but I'd like to know the name of the guy that pressed the book.

Assuming - dangerously - that the seller is the presser.

Feel free to pm me. I won't divulge if you ask me not to

poor book.

Exactly :sumo:

No, poor people who might buy books from this boardie because you are not man enough to call him out. The damage to the bhook is already done, but this person will keep on cranking them out unless called out for it.

What happened to you David?

Freudian slip, perchance? :whistle:

^^

So schatze, do we have a name?

:o I had no idea! :o

I can't say that I've ever seen a book that was poorly pressed. I'm sure I have bought some pressed books, but they don't exhibit any telltale signs like the ones you described, David. I echo the sentiment that visuals would be helpful.

I can't say that I've ever seen a book that was poorly pressed. I'm sure I have bought some pressed books, but they don't exhibit any telltale signs like the ones you described, David. I echo the sentiment that visuals would be helpful.

Cheezy,

I was the unfortunate purchaser of a poorly pressed book. Visuals don't help because I tried to scan said book and it just doesnt show in the scan. But, imagine if you will falling asleep with one side of your face on a blanket with a textured pattern. Then, after waking up and going to the mirror say, 15-20 mins later, you have the ever-so-slight indentation of that pattern still in your face. That's what it is like on the back cover of my book. Also, the covers feel slightly rougher than they should (esp. the back).

The good news is, those defects can usually be pressed out. The bad news is, it sounds like we've got some people here who don't understand the necessity of learning what to do before trying to do it on books that matter. :(

Cheezy,

I was the unfortunate purchaser of a poorly pressed book. Visuals don't help because I tried to scan said book and it just doesnt show in the scan. But, imagine if you will falling asleep with one side of your face on a blanket with a textured pattern. Then, after waking up and going to the mirror say, 15-20 mins later, you have the ever-so-slight indentation of that pattern still in your face. That's what it is like on the back cover of my book. Also, the covers feel slightly rougher than they should (esp. the back).

This is a close up photo of a typical foam insert in the bottom of a heat laminate type press. It sounds likes hooks was not even putting anything between the comic and press when he pressed it. :(

DSC07966.jpg

poor book.

Exactly :sumo:

No, poor people who might buy books from this boardie because you are not man enough to call him out. The damage to the bhook is already done, but this person will keep on cranking them out unless called out for it.

What happened to you David?

This type of comment is so stoopid in so many ways that it doesn't even deserve a response.

Kenny, you are an atagonistic troll, and someone who really needs to look at himself, and the reasons you choose to express your frustration the way you do. :foryou:

David, you can call me names if you like but that does not change anything. A good friend of yours pulled a fast one on you, and you were upset. While I am glad to hear you two worked things out I imagine people are very glad to know books they bought or may buy from bhooks might have indeed been badly pressed.

That was my only point earlier, you cannot pick and choose when to be forum police depending on what your relationship is with the person. You know how this place works as well as anyone, if you make a thread about something expect people to question all aspects of it even if you do not consider it pertinent.

Cheezy,

returner's post + Ze-man's photo = :doh:

I get it now. Yes. Bad press job, indeed.

Pics?

Scans?

(shrug)

Nope - wouldn't convey the damage. Anyway the identity of the book and member are not the point of this thread. :(

Um why isn't it? If a board member is selling badly pressed books I for one would like to know who it is. Wouldn't you?

Of course you would.

You could have just made a thread stating your feelings about untrained people being motivated to press books because the other guy is doing it, but you didn't.

Where can one get this training and become a pressing jedi? hm

David, you can call me names if you like but that does not change anything.

Kenny,

You are a child in a man's body. Read the post of yours I responded to. Read it again. Now . . . bite me.

regards,

David

Cheezy,

returner's post + Ze-man's photo = :doh:

I get it now. Yes. Bad press job, indeed.

Hey Cheezy,

Sorry, I actually have other things going on in my life, or I would have responded earlier :insane: Returner pretty much sums it up.

David

David, you can call me names if you like but that does not change anything.

Kenny,

You are a child in a man's body. Read the post of yours I responded to. Read it again. Now . . . bite me.

regards,

David

No David I don't need to re read my post. I asked you to disclose who the seller was and you did. While my post might have intentionally egged you on, you do realize how easy it was to go through your old posts and find the book, and seller in question dont you?

At 35% off, this one's a STEAL! :grin:

TOS's #1 9.0 **Steranko art ...

$69.00 shipped !

123aaap006.jpg

Wanna buy it back ? :baiting:

:takeit: Per PM :grin:

You say the point of this thread was not about the seller or the book which I disagreed with. I imagine plenty of people who bought books in Hooks recent sales thread would also like to know what you know. Brian was pressing and selling books without having a clue as to what he was doing.

Steve bought three Avengers in similar damaged condition to yours so god knows how many other people bought dimpled books from that thread

Yet for some reason instead of looking out for your fellow boardies you looked out for your buddy. Makes me wonder if you bought the book from Cap Freak how this thread would read.

And the next time you want to hurl insults at me do it in person ok. Online insults are pointless.