• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time for a pressing anectdote . . .

104 posts in this topic

I've been a Hooks apologist for years, god knows, and I could care less about professional pressing, but amateurly roasting books and selling them without disclosure is a move. A real big time move.

So this thread brings up a BIG question for me about how many other amateurs are out there pressing books? And more directly, how many other FORUM MEMBERS here are pressing books on their own? (shrug)

I've seen the threads here describing how to press books, but assumed that was a thread started primarily to educate board members more about the facts of pressing... not to teach them how to press a book on their own. doh!

BTW, what constitutes a "Professional" when it comes to pressing? The only professional I currently know of who presses books is Matt Nelson. For the record, I've had books pressed before, but only by Matt. I don't think I'd ever try to press a book on my own.

"Professional" doesn't have a defined term in this context. It's just used as shorthand for "someone who knows what he or she is doing." It doesn't matter whether a book is pressed by a "professional." What matters is that it is being done safely and properly.

As for how many forumites are pressing their own books, I would venture a wild guess that at least a dozen of them are doing it, maybe more.

I've been a Hooks apologist for years, god knows, and I could care less about professional pressing, but amateurly roasting books and selling them without disclosure is a move. A real big time move.

So this thread brings up a BIG question for me about how many other amateurs are out there pressing books? And more directly, how many other FORUM MEMBERS here are pressing books on their own? (shrug)

I've seen the threads here describing how to press books, but assumed that was a thread started primarily to educate board members more about the facts of pressing... not to teach them how to press a book on their own. doh!

BTW, what constitutes a "Professional" when it comes to pressing? The only professional I currently know of who presses books is Matt Nelson. For the record, I've had books pressed before, but only by Matt. I don't think I'd ever try to press a book on my own.

"Professional" doesn't have a defined term in this context. It's just used as shorthand for "someone who knows what he or she is doing." It doesn't matter whether a book is pressed by a "professional." What matters is that it is being done safely and properly.

As for how many forumites are pressing their own books, I would venture a wild guess that at least a dozen of them are doing it, maybe more.

the next question in regard to a possible "explosion" of amateur pressing is to find out whether this increase in "bad or questionably skilled" actors has resulted in an increase of damaged books that CGC has taken note of in their grades. They'd get blue labels but lower grades.

I suppose this is only a question answered by a personal question to CGC graders, whether they have noticed an increase in affected books. And would only be anecdotal as evidence.

because if they havent noticed any increase in damaged books, the conclusion I draw is that even amateurs can safely practice pressing, and that it's just so easy even a caveman can do it successfully. For those of us not fans of the whole thing, we were always "assured" that it was not something "anyone" could do to just "any" book...

is that still the case? I wonder.

the next question in regard to a possible "explosion" of amateur pressing is to find out whether this increase in "bad or questionably skilled" actors has resulted in an increase of damaged books that CGC has taken note of in their grades. They'd get blue labels but lower grades.

I suppose this is only a question answered by a personal question to CGC graders, whether they have noticed an increase in affected books. And would only be anecdotal as evidence.

because if they havent noticed any increase in damaged books, the conclusion I draw is that even amateurs can safely practice pressing, and that it's just so easy even a caveman can do it successfully. For those of us not fans of the whole thing, we were always "assured" that it was not something "anyone" could do to just "any" book...

Could you shorten this post, please? My clothes-iron is at full-steam and I have a stack of books waiting for me!

YEE-HAW!!!

-slym ( :jokealert: )

Why no response from bhooks here? And how does the lack of response equate to the theory in the forum scams thread that linked to this one that bhooks is done here or whatever was said?

(shrug)

Oh, and pressing is not restoration so, you know, you can't complain when you have a waffled back cover.

It isn't "restoration." It's "damage." The book didn't originally have a waffled back cover. Calling his hack-like attempts to press books "restoration" is like saying that accidentally sitting on a book and crumpling it up is restoration.

So, in a nut shell, you're saying PRESSING = DAMAGE.

Got it. :kidaround:

I dont ever remember anyone ever saying that not just anyone could do it. Maybe you thought that or thought it was intoned to be so. I know that people never divulged any of the how to's so as not to give people the hard earned info that they learned about pressing books.

Hooks is an individual_without_enough_empathy.

Don't you think that's a little harsh? He and David resolved their issue. He may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but he isn't an individual_without_enough_empathy.

I don't think it's harsh at all Jim. For the same reasons seanfingh just posted. That is wildly_fanciful_statement. :sumo: Hell i damn near bought a few of them myself. And this has nothing to do with the pressing debate. He sold damaged goods. Plain and simple. I'm glad he and David resolved their issue with the sale. I could never trust the guy after this scam. Who else could. (shrug) I don't know him personally, to me his board rep is toast. He may be a great guy in the real world and I hope he learned a lesson and never tries to pull one over on us boardies again. End of rantrant

This thread is disturbing and disappointing on so many levels and is about as useful as a bag of cholera. Buried in the Grading and Resto subforum, no one is going to read it. :(

Perhaps this thread is buried in a quiet subforum but I'm glad the thread exists. I'm still waiting for a book from Hooks thread, darn national border, and I'm wondering what my book will look like.

My book arrived today. I'm happy with the grading and packing. I can't see any obvious signs of pressing. No complaints about the deal from me.

Why no response from bhooks here? And how does the lack of response equate to the theory in the forum scams thread that linked to this one that bhooks is done here or whatever was said?

(shrug)

Hello guy's ! I guess I picked a bad time time to stay off the boards for a few days. I know how things can grow when answers are needed.

I have never had any issues during my couple of years here on the boards and don't intend to. I come here to joke around and have developed some great relationships and friends here. When I have had 2-3 sales threads over this period I don't recall more than 2-3 times that that were any issues whatsoever and they were w/ grading , shipping ,etc. I always offer 100% $$ back guarantee and have always done so immediately if there was a issue. I try to keep my comics in my collection and sell the other items that we get through our estate sale business. However , in a temp. cash crunch I have had to go thru and choose which one's that are the most saleable. That is what I did this time.

As I told Divad in a PM , I did get a machine last year at one of our sales after coming here and reading pressing debates all the time. I tried it on a couple dozen books and I thought it helped some but had a tend. to screw up the backs? So , I figured I would leave them alone. I actually just thought he was curious and kinda ribbing me b/c we rib one another and I assumed he was Ok w/ it b/c I had bought the book from him for approx. $90 and sold it back to him at approx. $30. I did offer him a refund when I felt like he didn't see much humor in the situation. He said he would take it and I auto. sent it to him prior to receiving the book back .

In my sales thread last year , I actually stated "home-pressed" after the grade,price,etc. and never heard anything about it. At the time I thought maybe it was too much disclosure b/c it wasn't "professionally pressed" , and this was pointed out to me. I haven't been on the boards as much this year and wasn't sure what , if any ruling had come down on disclosure , especially "non-professional" .

However , I should have done so , and remembered that this can be a hot-button issue with some.

In my rush to get the books scanned and listed this last time w/ a popcorn eating crowd I should have taken the time to examine each book more carefully in order to determine exactly any that I had messed with last year.

I did get several PM's with thanks for the nice books and price this time , but for whatever reason , if anyone is not completely satisfied w/ what they received , I will give them a full refund. I'm sure w/ out too much effort I could determine one's that were done if a buyer needs to know or is just curious.

I need to go deal w/ my kids , am am late , but I wanted to get a response in. I will be back later if there are any questions.

B~

(shrug)

Hello guy's ! I guess I picked a bad time time to stay off the boards for a few days. I know how things can grow when answers are needed.

I have never had any issues during my couple of years here on the boards and don't intend to. I come here to joke around and have developed some great relationships and friends here. When I have had 2-3 sales threads over this period I don't recall more than 2-3 times that that were any issues whatsoever and they were w/ grading , shipping ,etc. I always offer 100% $$ back guarantee and have always done so immediately if there was a issue. I try to keep my comics in my collection and sell the other items that we get through our estate sale business. However , in a temp. cash crunch I have had to go thru and choose which one's that are the most saleable. That is what I did this time.

As I told Divad in a PM , I did get a machine last year at one of our sales after coming here and reading pressing debates all the time. I tried it on a couple dozen books and I thought it helped some but had a tend. to screw up the backs? So , I figured I would leave them alone. I actually just thought he was curious and kinda ribbing me b/c we rib one another and I assumed he was Ok w/ it b/c I had bought the book from him for approx. $90 and sold it back to him at approx. $30. I did offer him a refund when I felt like he didn't see much humor in the situation. He said he would take it and I auto. sent it to him prior to receiving the book back .

In my sales thread last year , I actually stated "home-pressed" after the grade,price,etc. and never heard anything about it. At the time I thought maybe it was too much disclosure b/c it wasn't "professionally pressed" , and this was pointed out to me. I haven't been on the boards as much this year and wasn't sure what , if any ruling had come down on disclosure , especially "non-professional" .

However , I should have done so , and remembered that this can be a hot-button issue with some.

In my rush to get the books scanned and listed this last time w/ a popcorn eating crowd I should have taken the time to examine each book more carefully in order to determine exactly any that I had messed with last year.

I did get several PM's with thanks for the nice books and price this time , but for whatever reason , if anyone is not completely satisfied w/ what they received , I will give them a full refund. I'm sure w/ out too much effort I could determine one's that were done if a buyer needs to know or is just curious.

I need to go deal w/ my kids , am am late , but I wanted to get a response in. I will be back later if there are any questions.

B~

BTW , I only had time read a couple of pages of a couple of threads and never found where it originated from and I probably missed a lot. If I didn't cover something , I will later.

B~

Really? Who "assured" you of that?

Anyone can press a book. Anyone can learn to do it properly with enough practice and imagination. But not every book will benefit from it. Most books won't.

Matt assured us that only a small % of books were "pressable". He said so on many many occasions. And that there was a wide gulf between a professional press job, and an amateur job. Now of course, even Matt had to learn his craft at some point... but the clear implication was that it takes a long time to become good at it and is not an easy to pickup "basement hobby", both criteria that imply that there are barriers to entry significant enough to deter most people so that it not become widespread.

SO my question still stands: has CGC seen an increase in bad presses leading to lower grades as these new guys get up to speed and their apprentice level products go thru Sarasota?

I have no doubt you could do it, and that I could learn too... but also no intention of spending the time necessary. How about you?

Matt assured us that only a small % of books were "pressable". He said so on many many occasions. And that there was a wide gulf between a professional press job, and an amateur job. Now of course, even Matt had to learn his craft at some point... but the clear implication was that it takes a long time to become good at it and is not an easy to pickup "basement hobby", both criteria that imply that there are barriers to entry significant enough to deter most people so that it not become widespread.

SO my question still stands: has CGC seen an increase in bad presses leading to lower grades as these new guys get up to speed and their apprentice level products go thru Sarasota?

I have no doubt you could do it, and that I could learn too... but also no intention of spending the time necessary. How about you?

Bad press job = no submittal to CGC. So I suspect CGC would not see enough of them to draw any conclusions.

Conversely, bad press job = ebay raw NM+, which I have received quite a bit lately. doh!

Hooks is an individual_without_enough_empathy.

Don't you think that's a little harsh? He and David resolved their issue. He may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but he isn't an individual_without_enough_empathy.

Looking back, yes. The last few days have been very difficult for me. I vented in the wrong direction. For that Hooks, I apologize for my comments in this thread. Bone head.

Matt assured us that only a small % of books were "pressable". He said so on many many occasions.

And that is a true statement. The vast majority of books are not pressing candidates.

And that there was a wide gulf between a professional press job, and an amateur job.

I don't remember him saying that. His press jobs are probably better than your typical "at home" job, but I am sure Matt never said that your average Joe couldn't learn how to press books at home with enough practice.

Now of course, even Matt had to learn his craft at some point... but the clear implication was that it takes a long time to become good at it and is not an easy to pickup "basement hobby", both criteria that imply that there are barriers to entry significant enough to deter most people so that it not become widespread.

It would seem to me that Hooks' results suggest that the "implication" here was correct.

Yes, I took the time to learn how to press books and most of the other restoration techniques that are used on comics. I am a much more informed collector because of it. I think it would be pretty tough to slide a restored book by me if I had it in hand (NDP notwithstanding).